Zoom iOS update removes 'feature' that sent user data to Facebook

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    seanismorris said:
    They’re to lazy to use a password manager.
    Yeah. I was more talking about the implementation side of things, but agree.

I suspect Zoom really didn’t know this would happen. I’ve spent time trying to read software licenses.  They are written with enormous care to ensure you cannot glean ANYTHING from them.  

And even if you do stumble down the rabbit hole of to whom they are selling your data it will just say “and will share collected data with trusted business partners”.

But t is unlikely Farcebook makes this data theft explicit. ...

Yeah, at least when it all started. It was advertised as being helpful so website and app makers didn't have to implement their own account system, and users didn't have to remember extra logins, etc. But... this is now 2020. It's pretty obvious Facebook and the like are up to no good these days, and that has been apparent for quite some time now.

rrrize said:
    Too late. Minute I read AppleInsider's reporting on this, I deleted Zoom. Fixing it just because you've been caught only communicates to me that you will do it again if you think you can get away with it.
    First thing I did when I heard.
    Unfortunately, I'm going to have to be installing it. Just got an email from my son's school that it (among other apps) are how they are going to be doing lockdown-home-school (well, things aren't really all that locked down here, but the schools are closed for sure).

cpsro said:
    IMHO the GDPR is merely a panacea. The language is still obtuse, even weird, and the companies still do what they do, with your permission.
    Yeah, we'll see I guess. That's kind of my impression too. Just more hoops to jump through, but has it actually changed anything in regard to the big companies actually violating it? I guess some have gotten fined and had to put up more complex sign-offs, but that's just a cost of doing business for them. It's the little companies and sites that have to spend extra time and money that they don't really have, who get hurt.

I tried logging into Zoom iOS with my saved desktop credentials via 1Password, where I had signed into zoom.us.  On my iPhone at the enter username and password page I encountered this: "No Logins Found: zoom.com.cn"  China???  Alarm bells went off.  Later, the same error showed up but instead it was zoomgov.com.

At this point I have no confidence in Zoom's safe handling of my login credentials.  My request for answers from Zoom tech support has not been answered.
    Hmm, that's rather odd. I don't let 1Password auto-make/save that kind of thing, so I don't have much experience with that aspect. But, I don't know why Zoom would create all those URLs. Thanks for the heads up though... I'll have to be doing this tomorrow or Monday AM.

kubeltime said:
    This is sensationalist. You realize AppleInsider also has a Facebook pixel on this very article (see screenshot) and doesn't call Facebook out by name in their privacy policy. This website is sending all the same data to Facebook via the pixel that Zoom did on everyone reading this article or using AppleInsider.com... This is a non-issue and is common internet best practice if you run advertising campaigns. 

AppleInsider - you're better than this for shaming Zoom for something you and almost every other website on the internet is doing...
    I'm kind of doubting a Facebook tracking pixel surfaces the same info that using Facebook login does.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 22
    jgojcajjgojcaj Posts: 48member
    kubeltime said:
    This is sensationalist. You realize AppleInsider also has a Facebook pixel on this very article (see screenshot) and doesn't call Facebook out by name in their privacy policy. This website is sending all the same data to Facebook via the pixel that Zoom did on everyone reading this article or using AppleInsider.com... This is a non-issue and is common internet best practice if you run advertising campaigns. 

AppleInsider - you're better than this for shaming Zoom for something you and almost every other website on the internet is doing...
    THANK YOU. Lots of people on this thread are way too conspiracy theory oriented for their own good....