Russia ban on iPhones, computers without government mandated apps postponed

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
New legislation in Russia that will mandates all smartphones, computers and smart televisions to have Russian-made software pre-installed has been postponed, with provisions not kicking in until January 2021.

Apple's iPhones are expected to be subject to Russia's forthcoming ban
Apple's iPhones are expected to be subject to Russia's forthcoming ban

Russia's lower house of parliament passed legislation in November 2019 that makes it mandatory for devices such as Apple's iPhone that feature apps to include pre-loaded Russian-made ones. The legislation threatening the ban encompasses smartphones, computers, tablets, and televisions.

"When we buy complex electronic devices, they already have individual applications, mostly Western ones, pre-installed on them," co-author of Russia's legislation, Oleg Nikolayev said at the time. "Naturally, when a person sees them, they might think that there are no domestic alternatives available. And if, alongside pre-installed applications, we will also offer the Russian ones to users, then they will have a right to choose."

Tass isn't yet clear on the reasons behind the postponement. The delay may be technical, but is more likely related to the COVID-19 outbreak that is complicating device production and development at the moment.

Russia's own Association of Trading Companies and Manufacturers of Electrical Household and Computer Equipment has decried the legislation, saying that it would lead to less choice and more surveillance of the Russian people. The organization believes that western manufacturers will leave the Russian market instead of comply with the legislation.

Apps that are pre-loaded because of legislation would presumably not have to pass through a vetting process such as Apple's with App Store submissions. There would be no way for users to know whether or not these apps contained state-supported official spyware.

The new legislation comes after the country has introduced increasing control and limitations on the internet. Thus far, companies including Apple have complied with the various laws, including Apple, which agreed to store user data on Russian servers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I can only hope that the internet anarchy portrayed in so many cyberpunk-ish novels and movies provides suitable tools for Russian users to disable this stuff.  Recent history suggests that there's a chance. 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    Yes.  Why don't they try stopping the tide.  That might work.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Is Kaspersky making the mandated software?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    I realize you're making light of this, but essentially the end result once mandated "software" is installed will be full access to user phones no matter the brand. That includes Apple. Russia is following in China's footsteps.

Country by country, eventually it becomes something the West feels compelled to put in place too with Apple and others showing willingness to "follow the law'' rather than opting not to play. 

Privacy is for marketing. When push comes to shove it's dollars making the decision.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 5 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    I realize you're making light of this, but essentially the end result once mandated "software" is installed will be full access to user phones no matter the brand. That includes Apple. Russia is following in China's footsteps.

Country by country, eventually it becomes something the West feels compelled to put in place too with Apple and others showing willingness to "follow the law'' rather than opting not to play

Privacy is for marketing. When push comes to shove it's dollars making the decision.
    Can you provide a link that shows Apple plans to go along with this? News to me. 

As is, I think you’re confusing Google, where indeed privacy is not valued, with Apple, whose CEO is on record as believing privacy is a right. I do not expect them to comply with anything that compromises iOS security or privacy. 
    edited March 2020 MacPro
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:

Country by country, eventually it becomes something the West feels compelled to put in place too with Apple and others showing willingness to "follow the law'' rather than opting not to play

Can you provide a link that shows Apple plans to go along with this? News to me. 

As is, I think you’re confusing Google, where indeed privacy is not valued, with Apple, whose CEO is on record as believing privacy is a right. I do not expect them to comply with anything that compromises iOS security or privacy. 
    Step 1:
    https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/01/31/how-russia-is-strong-arming-apple-data-security-icloud/
    In July we'll know what the attitudes are to Step 2. 

So far there's no indication they've been willing to tell China no. To anything
      https://www.wired.com/story/apple-china-censorship-apps-flag/

But China is a lot more important to Apple's profits,  Russia not so much. Perhaps they'll use Russia as a PR opportunity rather than for direct profits. Only a few weeks to find out if a small market is where Apple puts its foot down.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Hey Russia, make your own smartphone, and pre-install whatever you like on it. Russia seems to be saying, "Oh, gosh, our poor consumers don't know of our amazing government apps!" If that's really the concern, then Apple can provide a paper insert in the packaging explaining the apps are available. Of course, that won't satisfy Russia, because their actual intention is surveillance. Putin can take a flying leap. He and his other kleptocrats are causing problems in every democracy, and beyond.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:

Country by country, eventually it becomes something the West feels compelled to put in place too with Apple and others showing willingness to "follow the law'' rather than opting not to play. 

Well, first I don't trust Kasperky as there is that Russian connection after all, so that wasn't a joke, but on the rest, I sincerely hope you re wrong.