Select 2013 and 2014 MacBook Air, Pro models to be declared vintage and obsolete in April

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    ivanh said:
    I help many retirees and they have very mean pensions. They will be very disappointed to know that their last Macs purchased before they retired will soon be called “obsolete”. They just don’t have the money for replacement.

I'm in that boat.   So:
    I just bought a Thinkpad T530 running Windows 10 with an I7, a Gb of GPU memory, 1920x1080 screen, and 8Gb RAM for $20 -- added in my old SSD, a second old harddrive for backup and an additional 8Gb of memory for another $30.   I expect it to serve another 5+ years.

Meanwhile, my MacBook Air of the same vintage will soon be obsolete!  

The contrast for budget conscious people is striking.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 26
    j238j238 Posts: 10member
    No need to refer to "internal documents." This article makes Apple's vintage and obsolete policies very clear. I can look at a calendar, do simple math & I know when my hardware will go out of support. But, "internal documents" adds some level of intrigue, I guess.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    ivanh said:
    I help many retirees and they have very mean pensions. They will be very disappointed to know that their last Macs purchased before they retired will soon be called “obsolete”. They just don’t have the money for replacement.

I'm in that boat.   So:
    I just bought a Thinkpad T530 running Windows 10 with an I7, a Gb of GPU memory, 1920x1080 screen, and 8Gb RAM for $20 -- added in my old SSD, a second old harddrive for backup and an additional 8Gb of memory for another $30.   I expect it to serve another 5+ years.

Well if it makes any difference my wife still does work on our 2006 MBP.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    razorpit said:
    ivanh said:

I'm in that boat.   So:

Well if it makes any difference my wife still does work on our 2006 MBP.

When was her last security update? 
  • Reply 25 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    That's like bragging about getting a free couch on the curb.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    That's like bragging about getting a free couch on the curb.

Hardly, the Thinkpad runs as well as the new MacBook Air I bought my grandson for Christmas -- maybe better.   Actually, with an I7, 1Gb GPU, 16Gb of RAM & an SSD maindrive plus an internal backup harddrive it DOES run better! It has a better keyboard too!

So, if you want to spend an extra $800 for less performance, feel free.  

And no, it's not bragging.   It's facts stated while I was responding to the post about the retired seniors on fixed incomes who can't afford to replace their newly obsolete MacBooks with a $1,000 replacement.
    edited April 2020