Siri support for Spotify added to Apple Watch in latest update

in General Discussion edited November 2020
Apple Watch owners can now use Siri voice commands to play music on Spotify conveniently from their wrist.

When iOS 13 launched, Apple has introduced a long-awaited ability to let users control Spotify via Siri, in much the same way they already can with Apple Music.

Now, Spotify has begun rolling out an update that adds in Siri support on Apple Watch on watchOS 6. Users should have access to the update starting April 2.

Users will be able to query Siri by saying "Hey Siri, play music on Spotify," as well as request to play specific songs, albums, playlists, or podcasts. The Spotify update notes that users will need to add "on Spotify" at the end of the query, or Siri will attempt to play music from Apple Music instead.

Apple and Spotify haven't always had the best relationship. In the past, Spotify has accused Apple of anti-competitive practices. In March of 2019, filed a complaint with the European Commission claiming that Apple takes more money than it should be entitled to, doesn't provide information on customers to vendors, and unfairly limits third-party access to technologies such as Siri, HomePod and Apple Watch.

As a response, Apple claimed that Spotify is seeking a free ride on the App Store. They argue that a bulk of Spotify's users make no contribution to the Apple since they use a free, ad-supported tier of the music streaming service. Only "a tiny fraction" of subscriptions are billable under Apple's revenue sharing model, and that Spotify wants that number to be zero.

Since then, Spotify has worked with U.S. House of Representatives Judiciary Committee to provide information on Apple's alleged anti-competitive behavior, and specifically how it pertains to Spotify's business.

Keep up with all the Apple news with your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," -- or bookmark this link -- and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.


  • Reply 1 of 5
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Ah yeah, ignoring the users for this long is why I switched to Apple Music.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So, AI forum denizens, should Spotify and other competitors be given a free ride on Apple’s platforms. Spotify gets to sign up subscribers on the App Stores  free and Apple pounds salt? Everybody gets to sell  their wares on Apple’s stores and Apple gets nothing in return except losing money on the deal? Just because?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Any more excuses Spotty can use to claim Apple is greedy? Maybe Spotty deserves a cut from every Apple device that's capable of streaming their music?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    Good news. :smile: 
  • Reply 5 of 5

    After quite a long time, I saw a live TV broadcast today and the 2 ad-breaks that came had Spotify ads.

    I'm sticking to Apple Music because Apple Music + iTunes Match covers 95% of my music usage and is available all the time. For the remaining 5%, I'll buy a FIIO at some point of time.

Sign In or Register to comment.