Next-generation 'iPhone SE' could launch on Friday with three color options

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2020
A report on Thursday claims Apple is readying a hotly anticipated successor to its affordable iPhone SE and could debut the handset as soon as Friday.

iPhone 8

Citing a tip from a "highly trusted reader," 9to5Mac reports Apple is on the verge of releasing a second-generation "iPhone SE" and could make an official announcement on Friday or early next week.

Diverging with Apple's typical iPhone naming scheme, the new handset will reportedly retain the 3-year-old "SE" branding, with Apple set to reference the device as a 2020 model. The tech giant applies similar marketing strategies to its various iPad and Mac product lines. Previous rumors suggested the device would be called "iPhone SE 2" or "iPhone 9."

According to the tipster, the 2020 iPhone SE will be sold in 64GB, 128GB and 256GB configurations with color options including white, black and PRODUCT(RED). Five cases -- black silicone, white silicone, red leather, black leather and Midnight Blue leather -- should launch with the device, the report said.

Industry watchers widely expect Apple to launch the next-generation SE in the second quarter of 2020, with a recent rumor suggesting an official announcement on April 15.

While a release date remains elusive, details about the handset's hardware have been plentiful. Targeting cost-conscious consumers, the new iPhone is expected to pair an external design borrowed from the 2-year-old iPhone 8 with contemporary innards like an A13 Bionic processor with 3GB of RAM, 4.7-inch LCD screen, Touch ID and a bolstered communications stack.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Only question is how good will the camera be?

Assuming XR module.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I'll grab one to replace my current iPhone 8.   And, hopefully see an 8 plus later.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    I want the same features as my current XS Max must a much smaller size, wait patiently for iPhone 5.4” Pro with A14 and 6GB RAM and cutting edge cameras.
    schlack
  • Reply 4 of 17
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    I want the same features as my current XS Max must a much smaller size, wait patiently for iPhone 5.4” Pro with A14 and 6GB RAM and cutting edge cameras.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Does Apple ever launch new products on a Friday?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    I've got an iPhone 7 and this seems like a hard sell to me. Why pay hundreds for a slightly faster phone when mine is running fine? Feels like only people with first gen SE, 6, or 6S would be the target market as those phones are about to be end of lifed. Besides, I've been holding onto this 7 for 3.5 yrs now, waiting for Apple to release a smaller phone...still waiting (7 is too big imho).
    edited April 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    schlack said:
    I've got an iPhone 7 and this seems like a hard sell to me. Why pay hundreds for a slightly faster phone when mine is running fine? Feels like only people with first gen SE, 6, or 6S would be the target market as those phones are about to be end of lifed. Besides, I've been holding onto this 7 for 3.5 yrs now, waiting for Apple to release a smaller phone...still waiting (7 is too big imho).
    It's not for you, then. If you have a functional 7 or 8, you probably won't see much reason to upgrade beyond a better camera, more storage, etc.  There are a lot of people still with the models you listed, and older — I know a few people who still have 4/5-era iPhones, if you can believe that. And, new iPhone users of course. 
  • Reply 8 of 17

mattinoz said:
    Only question is how good will the camera be?

Assuming XR module.
    I think I saw someone somewhere (Twitter rumor thread?) say it was the same as the standard 1x camera in the 11. Not sure if that was based on anything substantive. 
  • Reply 9 of 17
    neilm said:
    Does Apple ever launch new products on a Friday?
    But we’re living in a crazy, crazy world nowadays...
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    schlack said:

Who cares? Apple didn't make this phone specifically for you and your strange opinions. "slightly" faster? This will be an order of magnitude faster than an iPhone 7. Thats an objective fact. Not even in the same universe. 

Oh, and Apple will never make a smaller phone again. But keep "waiting". 
  • Reply 11 of 17
    SamWebbSamWebb Posts: 5member
    I've been putting aside a little bit of cash each week this year waiting for this phone to come out. It will replace my 5S that was purchased over 5 years ago -- when it was already an older model. This will be my first 'current model' iPhone. I'm really looking forward to the speed increase and especially not having to wait 2 or 3 seconds for the camera to become ready after activating it. I'll have to keep putting a little aside each week as I still have an Apple Watch 2 to replace (this fall) and a Mac Mini that is over 5 years old (still in use all day). I don't know how I'm going to actually get the new iPhone since I have cash and all the stores are closed. :-)
  • Reply 12 of 17
    SamWebb said:
    I've been putting aside a little bit of cash each week this year waiting for this phone to come out. It will replace my 5S that was purchased over 5 years ago -- when it was already an older model. This will be my first 'current model' iPhone. I'm really looking forward to the speed increase and especially not having to wait 2 or 3 seconds for the camera to become ready after activating it. I'll have to keep putting a little aside each week as I still have an Apple Watch 2 to replace (this fall) and a Mac Mini that is over 5 years old (still in use all day). I don't know how I'm going to actually get the new iPhone since I have cash and all the stores are closed. :-)
    Like paper cash? Weird. You don't have a debit account at the very least? Go to a carrier store, they're still all open (I think?). How do you pay your carrier bill, you go into the store with a pile of bills? 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 13 of 17
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    slurpy said:
    schlack said:

Who cares? Apple didn't make this phone specifically for you and your strange opinions. "slightly" faster? This will be an order of magnitude faster than an iPhone 7. Thats an objective fact. Not even in the same universe. 

Oh, and Apple will never make a smaller phone again. But keep "waiting". 
    Uh, I do, for one, to answer your question. I also have the 7 and am wondering when to upgrade. “Strange opinions”?? And yours aren’t? At least schlack doesn’t feel the need to be nasty about it. Sheesh. Oh, and thank your for your insight into every single phone Apple will ever make. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 14 of 17
    I think Apple is dropping the ball on this one...give us a 5s (original iPhone SE) sized phone with a full screen display like the new phones.  I love the old form factor and I love my Xs' full size screen.   Just my humble opinion.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    My wife really liked her 5s and 6 for the smaller size.

Last fall we went on a long trip to Africa and she used my XS Max for the camera while I was using my Leica. She now has that iPhone with a new pink Apple battery and loves the bigger size. I moved to the newer 11 Pro Max with the Apple battery that has a camera button. Both were the 512GB memory models that allows for lots of photos.  The price point will determine if the "economy"  is a hit or a dud. 

The current world health issues and our economics in the States will make a phone purchase a much lower priority and I think lowest cost will be the major consideration for this year.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    SamWebb said:
    Like paper cash? Weird. You don't have a debit account at the very least? Go to a carrier store, they're still all open (I think?). How do you pay your carrier bill, you go into the store with a pile of bills? 
    What's weird about putting aside money for a purchase? If you put everything in your debit account, it will eventually get used for other purposes, as it is the main account for your daily purchases. I think it's smart to put aside money, either on your savings account or cash, for something specific that you don't touch. And why do you talk about the carrier bill? This person is putting money aside for a new phone.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    john f. said:
    SamWebb said:
    What's weird about putting aside money for a purchase? If you put everything in your debit account, it will eventually get used for other purposes, as it is the main account for your daily purchases. I think it's smart to put aside money, either on your savings account or cash, for something specific that you don't touch. And why do you talk about the carrier bill? This person is putting money aside for a new phone.
    I was literally talking about their perceived problem that they only had cash and therefore couldn't go into a store to buy an iPhone, cash in hand or not. First, I suggested walking into a carrier store to buy one. I brought up their carrier bill as a context for asking why they didn't just deposit the cash into an account so they can purchase an iPhone online, from their carrier or from Apple. Not that difficult to grasp.