Apple Stores in US to remain closed until early May

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
Apple in a memo to employees on Thursday said it plans to keep all U.S. retail stores closed until early May as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to wreak havoc on the nation.

Brooklyn

Addressing employees directly, Apple SVP of Retail and People Deirdre O'Brien said the company is monitoring local conditions at both office and retail facilities on a daily basis and will decide to reopen stores only after "thorough, thoughtful reviews and the latest guidance from local governments and public health experts," reports Bloomberg.

In the interim, employees will continue to adhere to work-from-home protocols, which for retail workers like Geniuses includes remote tech support options. Corporate employees, like those based out of Apple Park, are also working remote to prevent spreading the virus.

Apple is developing flexible work options to ensure parents "have the support and the flexibility to adjust their schedules as needed," the note reads. As noted by O'Brien, many parents have found themselves in a predicament as they balance work with caring for children who are home from school as the crisis plays out. Apple is encouraging all employees to express any potential conflicts with management, the report said.

The Cupertino-based tech giant shuttered all branded retail outlets outside of Greater China on March 14 in a bid to protect customers and team members from the fast-spreading coronavirus. Initial plans were to reopen Apple Stores on March 27.

More recently, O'Brien in a memo last month said a revised timeline would see some Apple Stores open in the first half of April, but that, too, proved overly optimistic for U.S. locations.

Confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. continue to skyrocket, with more than 245,000 people testing positive for the disease as of Thursday. As the federal government scrambles to respond, state and local officials have called for quarantines and issued shelter-in-place orders to mitigate and manage fallout from the virus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    What must be done, must be done! Hats off Apple.
    Online is always there !

(also  i dont think many would go even if they remained open...  so its better to minimize expenses  where possible, as much as possible )

This shall pass too. 
    🖖🏼🤙🏼

edited April 2020 muthuk_vanalingamhorvatic
  • Reply 2 of 15
    the monkthe monk Posts: 93member
    Good decision, and I’m sure the reversal was due to Deirdre O'Brien being crushed by outraged messages from staff and bad press. What was she thinking? Doesn’t she read Apple News?
    horvatic
  • Reply 3 of 15
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    I think all estimates of reopening anything significant are optimistic at this point. The US is only getting started with this outbreak, and southern states (primarily) are just getting around to maybe sort of thinking about closing shit down which is fucking insane. I am sticking to my guns that the top end of the estimate of 240K deaths in the US is a VERY LOW figure at best.

Stores like Apple are going to have to reimagine how they run things for quite some time if they are able to reopen. It's not going to be as it was for a while.
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamscampercomhorvatic
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I think all estimates of reopening anything significant are optimistic at this point. The US is only getting started with this outbreak, and southern states (primarily) are just getting around to maybe sort of thinking about closing shit down which is fucking insane. I am sticking to my guns that the top end of the estimate of 240K deaths in the US is a VERY LOW figure at best.

Stores like Apple are going to have to reimagine how they run things for quite some time if they are able to reopen. It's not going to be as it was for a while.
    ‘240k deaths in US is low at best ”  is an incomplete and incoherent  statement!  You and the administration left  out the most important metic on this.. absolute time/in how long? Trumps chart  dodged that too, no absolute time frame.   Without time frame ...its saying nothing significant.
    240k people will die of anything.. given sufficient time frame.

Globally  we have had 50k in what is a typical flue season length. (Dec-march) ....  while flue has killed 500k in the same exact time...... 
    Time will tell.... pun and no pun  intended! 
    In the meanwhile fear mongering seems to be the fashion for  this season.  

PS
    re your statement about the south... .. most  casualties are in NY, NJ, CA WA, MI  And alike.. DENSELY Populated areas.  ( like many palace in Europe) 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 5 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

There is another aspect to this that is not even being talked about much less practiced:   PPE for US!
    So far, the alarm is (justifiably) that healthcare workers do not have the protective supplies they need to stay safe.   And that is true.
    But, this virus will not end until the public has access to and uses protective supplies (Masks, gloves, and antiseptic wipes and solutions) as well.  Plus, we STILL need massive community testing and contact tracing that is not yet even close to being adequate.

That is typical of our for-profit healthcare system:  they ignore and even marginalize health measures people can take on their own while emphasizing and promoting pills and procedures that they can profit from.

Picture if you will:   The infection starts to drop substantially so closures and social distancing are removed -- and the virus will comes roaring back as infected people roam about infecting untold numbers of others.  Social distancing is not a solution.  It's a temporary bandaid only meant to slow down this runaway freight train.

People need ways to protect themselves
    Society needs to identify those who are infected and those they have (potentially) infected
    ....  But, we are so far away from either of those they aren't even being talked about as options yet!  (and no, telling people to make their own masks does not count!)
    muthuk_vanalingamscampercom
  • Reply 6 of 15

There is another aspect to this that is not even being talked about much less practiced:   PPE for US!
    So far, the alarm is (justifiably) that healthcare workers do not have the protective supplies they need to stay safe.   And that is true.
    But, this virus will not end until the public has access to and uses protective supplies (Masks, gloves, and antiseptic wipes and solutions) as well.  Plus, we STILL need massive community testing and contact tracing that is not yet even close to being adequate.

That is typical of our for-profit healthcare system:  they ignore and even marginalize health measures people can take on their own while emphasizing and promoting pills and procedures that they can profit from.

Picture if you will:   The infection starts to drop substantially so closures and social distancing are removed -- and the virus will comes roaring back as infected people roam about infecting untold numbers of others.  Social distancing is not a solution.  It's a temporary bandaid only meant to slow down this runaway freight train.

Society needs to identify those who are infected and those they have (potentially) infected
    ....  But, we are so far away from either of those they aren't even being talked about as options yet!  (and no, telling people to make their own masks does not count!)
    Though i cant speak of every facility in US.. here in Los Angeles I have been to a few health care Facilities ... every individual i saw at these facilities  Was Fully protected with  masks  and gloves . 

You people need to calm down a bit... and get a perspective.. dont get consumed by over the top 24/7 Media’s fear mongering......... follow  the very simple protocol and u will be fine. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Early May is wildly optimistic, and at this point misleading. I hope I’m wrong, but not according to the numbers and stats right now.
  • Reply 8 of 15

Though i cant speak of every facility in US.. here in Los Angeles I have been to a few health care Facilities ... every individual i saw at these facilities  Was Fully protected with  masks  and gloves . 

You people need to calm down a bit... and get a perspective.. dont get consumed by over the top 24/7 Media’s fear mongering......... follow  the very simple protocol and u will be fine. 

I just left my medical forum where doctors and nurses are telling hundreds of real life stories of being put into harms way without proper equipment by a system motivated by profit rather than human life.  Plus it has been well documented in public sources.   It is not fear mongering when one reports reality. 

It is irresponsible for our government to fiddle while the virus overruns our healthcare systems.  Fortunately now, after 4 months of warning and many thousands of needlessly lost lives, they are BEGINNING to take this seriously and value lives over the stock market.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Early May seems incredibly optimistic. The infection curve isn't even close to flattening out. In Australia we have have significantly fewer recorded per capita infections than the US and were are talking lockdown till the end of June. This is from a conservative Australian government who is keen for business to continue.

I wish you all the best - Apple stores don't need to be open if you got one of the best online sales platforms out there.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 15
    horvatichorvatic Posts: 144member
    Early May is wildly optimistic, and at this point misleading. I hope I’m wrong, but not according to the numbers and stats right now.
    They are reviewing the dates all the time. Initially they stated when this all started end of March. But as things change they will update these dates. Optimistic probably but they are taking this very seriously and have so far done a great job protecting the employees and the public. It is only a projection and nothing is set in stone until that date arrives and what the situation is at that time. 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    horvatic said:
    They are reviewing the dates all the time. Initially they stated when this all started end of March. But as things change they will update these dates. Optimistic probably but they are taking this very seriously and have so far done a great job protecting the employees and the public. It is only a projection and nothing is set in stone until that date arrives and what the situation is at that time. 

This started and was announced to the world in 2019, not March.   But I question how seriously "they are taking this":  so far the only thing they have protected is the stock market.  They have done nothing to protect our healthcare workers and even less to protect the public:  No community testing, no contact tracing, protection supplies (masks, gloves, antiseptics) are impossible to find or buy and no nationwide policy on social distancing and masks.  At this point China has done more for us than Trump -- they just shipped a thousand ventilators to NY.   Also, private individuals and corporations like Apple are chipping in.   From "them", nothing.
  • Reply 12 of 15

‘240k deaths in US is low at best ”  is an incomplete and incoherent  statement!  You and the administration left  out the most important metic on this.. absolute time/in how long? Trumps chart  dodged that too, no absolute time frame.   Without time frame ...its saying nothing significant.

Globally  we have had 50k in what is a typical flue season length. (Dec-march) ....  while flue has killed 500k in the same exact time...... 

PS
    re your statement about the south... .. most  casualties are in NY, NJ, CA WA, MI  And alike.. DENSELY Populated areas.  ( like many palace in Europe) 
    Nobody is talking about anything beyond a year at this point. These estimates are based on models of the near future up to August or so. The current range the administration is giving is 100-240K deaths in the US. All I'm saying is I think we'll be lucky to hit numbers that low. Estimates without mitigation were 1.5-2.2 million American deaths. My comment about the south (and elsewhere) is to do with the fact that there is much slower uptake on mitigation measures, which is going to have an effect on those estimates going forward. Time will tell, models will change,  estimates will be revised, etc. 

This is going to kill far, far more people than the flu. Stop making that asinine comparison.
  • Reply 13 of 15

PS
    Nobody is talking about anything beyond a year at this point. These estimates are based on models of the near future up to August or so. The current range the administration is giving is 100-240K deaths in the US. All I'm saying is I think we'll be lucky to hit numbers that low. Estimates without mitigation were 1.5-2.2 million American deaths. My comment about the south (and elsewhere) is to do with the fact that there is much slower uptake on mitigation measures, which is going to have an effect on those estimates going forward. Time will tell, models will change,  estimates will be revised, etc. 

This is going to kill far, far more people than the flu. Stop making that asinine comparison.
    Good points.  But most of our state governors (even Republican ones!) have stepped up with forceful actions to mitigate the deaths caused by this virus -- which is why Bill Gates said that the 100-240K deaths estimate is high.

I suspect that Trump knows its high too.   But for him its a win-win:   once he realized the virus was raging out of control under his watch he realized that:  If 100.000+ do die he can claim "I told you so!" territory and blame the governors.   And, if it is less (most likely) he can claim responsibility for it and declare himself a hero.

When assessing anything Trump says or does realize that it is ALWAYS motivated by a need for money, power and approval.  He doesn't give a damn how many Americans die.   He only cares about himself.

• Reply 14 of 15

PS

Good points.  But most of our state governors (even Republican ones!) have stepped up with forceful actions to mitigate the deaths caused by this virus -- which is why Bill Gates said that the 100-240K deaths estimate is high.

I suspect that Trump knows its high too.   But for him its a win-win:   once he realized the virus was raging out of control under his watch he realized that:  If 100.000+ do die he can claim "I told you so!" territory and blame the governors.   And, if it is less (most likely) he can claim responsibility for it and declare himself a hero.

When assessing anything Trump says or does realize that it is ALWAYS motivated by a need for money, power and approval.  He doesn't give a damn how many Americans die.   He only cares about himself.

Birx said the projection was based on five or six modelers. One by Imperial College and one from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at University of Washington (IHME) seem to be the main sources for the worse (1.5-2.2M) and better case (100-240K) ranges, respectively. But nobody is looking at these as definitive numbers, they're just models which make a lot of calculations based on many factors, assumptions, projections, etc. 

And yes, mitigation actions affect everything. Which is why I said models will change, estimates will be revised, etc.

Trump doesn't know anything, as he's demonstrated on a daily basis since they started doing these pressers. He will declare victory no matter what happens, in tune with the way he's been rewriting the history of this outbreak every day. Mods: NOT getting political here, this is well documented and I'll take it no further.