Facebook tried to buy NSO Group's iOS spyware to monitor iPhone users [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,966member
    The frustrating thing about this is the despite how shady, despicable and unethical it is, I don’t it was illegal and Facebook will just keep on going. Hell, for all we know they purchased spyware from some other company and are using it to hack people’s phones right now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,901member
    Facebook fighting NSO in court over allegations and counter-allegations of privacy violation is like two drug cartels duking it out for control of the narco trade.  A pox on both their houses. 
    edited April 2020 jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I kind of wish they'd actually done this, then Apple would have cause to kick them off the app store forever.
    Xedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,388member
    gatorguy said:
    Of course they did. God FB is the malware of US corporations. 
    It wasn't all that long ago that Apple and Facebook played the part of a tag-team with "deep Facebook integration" embedded with iOS6. As I recall from the time there were a number of AI members excited about it. Thank goodness for everyone here that it didn't take Apple too many years to wise-up and discontinue it, but it was an odd partnership from the beginning.

https://techcrunch.com/2012/06/11/facebook-apple-wwdc/
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/150426/facebook-ios-integration-to-be-announced-at-wwdc-report-says/p4
    Back then Facebook was a LiveJournal competitor, and not known to be the complete shits that we now know them to be. 

But good job linking it back to Apple. 
    LiveJournal? Never heard of it but after your mention I looked and no surprise I hadn't. It is a Russian site now and even here in the US was at its peak in 2005, 2 years before the iPhone even existed. By 2012 when Apple released iOS6 LiveJournal was no Facebook competitor. 
    Today "LiveJournal, stylised as LiVEJOURNAL, is a Russian social networking service where users can keep a blog, journal or diary."

If you did any reading back when Apple decided to Friend Facebook with iOS6 (and you did because I've read comments) it had zippity to do with LiveJournal and more to do with another tech. So someone at Apple just thought it was a great idea, climb into bed and grant them special access but apparently without due diligence based on how quickly Apple began backing away from it. I note this because consumers weren't the only ones lulled into trusting them. Even the privacy-minded Apple didn't recognize the dangers, or at least thought the business-side pros outweighed the cons. FWIW there were Apple-friendly journalists at the time with serious concerns about what Apple was doing and said so. So yeah Facebook was already known among some informed people as the "completed shits" you only somewhat recently realized they are.

Apple smartly figured it out in short order tho and deserves kudos for that.
    edited April 2020 MplsPmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,388member
    I don't know how I overlooked this paragraph of the article (near the end) but it's the first I heard of it:
    "As well as data on the person's smartphone, the claim is that the group can covertly retrieve all of the information that a person has stored on servers owned by Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and Amazon."