Images and code leak reveal iOS 14 wallpaper changes and widgets

Posted:
in iOS
Apple's wallpaper settings may offer default images in collections in iOS 14 along with new dynamic wallpapers, while a code leak suggests Apple may be working on widgets for the Home screen itself.

Apple is anticipated to reveal iOS 14 at WWDC this June, and a wide variety of leaks and rumors have already surfaced about the operating system. The latest information to surface involves the iPhone's Home screen, which could lead to a higher number of personalization options for users.

Released on Twitter by DongleBookPro, a collection of screenshots allegedly depict the wallpaper settings menu within iOS 14. If true, the images show default wallpapers Apple provides will be shown in categories, rather than as a larger collection of images for the user to sort through.

The collections will, according to the screenshots, include those used in iOS 13, as well as "Classic Stripes," among other options.

The images also suggest there will be an option to select how a wallpaper may appear on the display, including as a dynamic wallpaper, a flat color, or as a gradient. As with iOS 13, an option will still be available to "Dim Wallpaper" when the iPhone is set to dark mode.

It is unclear how accurate Twitter user DongleBookPro is in terms of the leaks, but given the large numbers of other iOS 14 reports in March, it seems plausible that the screenshots are genuine.

At the same time as the screenshots, a code leak reported by 9to5mac indicates there could be more options on the Home screen to add a widget. A feature known internally as "Avocado" related to the Springboard app that maintains the Home screen is thought to allow users to add widgets to the Home screen.

Rather than pinned widgets as shown in iPadOS13, the version in the works will be added to the Home screen and can be repositioned, similar to an App icon.

Despite the work on the feature, there is always a possibility that Apple will scrap the version in development, in favor of a different approach or to delay its release for a longer period.

The latest rumors follow earlier supposed code leak reports claiming iOS 14 will add missing person alerts to the Find My app and developer-customizable Siri voices, among others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 491member
    I have always considered anything other than a soft colored solid background to be a distraction. There is a great app ‘ColorWallpaper’ just for this purpose.
    caladanian
  • Reply 2 of 14
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,267member
    This was the guy who pretended to be shocked that an iPad Pro could bend if you really put an effort into bending it, all to sell you some iPad Pro cases he was going to make but now aren't going to be available in a timely fashion.

Let's say I consider his attention-seeking to be of dubious value.
    bfranksBeatsrusswmacpluspluscaladanianFLMusicwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Really hope the widgets on home screen is true. I would much rather a few app icons and some widgets on my home, much like Windows mobile tiles. I thought it a nice, and useful, aesthetic. 
    elijahgFLMusic
  • Reply 4 of 14
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,289member
    Any word if springboard will have a new flow layout to deal with various size tiles.

Would love to see something dynamic like watchOS springboard especially on the iPad. Or something like Siri watch face applied to the home screen. instead of swiping this corner or that, up down left right just one screen that within a few weeks has you mostly covered with history and future scrolling or sliding.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Wallpapers are one of those rare inconsistencies between macOS and iOS. I'm not sure why they can't be the same.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,246member
    How many of you are using Search (swipe down on home screen) more by typing the first letters of the app you want, compared to searching a huge grid of icons and tapping it?

Also hoping that when searching for an app on your device, Apple adds the option to “Reveal in Folder” by long pressing an app icon from a search result, in case you want to know where it resides or when you want to delete it quickly.

Also hoping moving icons around will be easier instead of icons moving all around to make place for the app you are dragging, which is incredibly annoying and prone to user mistakes.
    edited April 2020 russwjeffharrisJapheyelijahgFLMusic
  • Reply 7 of 14
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Widgets on the springboard would be fantastic. I used Android for work (voluntarily) for a number of years and it’s a fantastic feature. I had one for my email and one for my calendar and I used them to preview messages and events without having to open the app.

Honestly, Android is pretty much crap. But life widgets on the home screen is the one feature I’ve always longed for.
    caladaniandewmeFLMusicwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    Wallpapers are one of those rare inconsistencies between macOS and iOS. I'm not sure why they can't be the same.
    They’re completely different screen sizes and ratios. Find a good portrait photo you like and see how it looks on your 27” widescreen Mac. Then take a great landscape photo you like and see what it looks like on a vertical iPhone. 
    alanhFLMusic
  • Reply 9 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member

How many of you are using Search (swipe down on home screen) more by typing the first letters of the app you want, compared to searching a huge grid of icons and tapping it?
    I use both. I know where my first two screens of apps are, and the rest I search for. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I would just like the ability to select a few of MY photographs to cycle through at set intervals on the Home screen.

Apple won’t even allow third party developers to make an app to do that.

Is that too much to ask?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    3 things I wish iPhones had so they could be in the running when I choose new phones:
    • default app choice 
    • customizable touch interactions
    • app drawer
    Customizable and sizable widgets would be a nice add but further down the list of desires.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member

Once in a while. I've never had more than two pages of home screen. The first has the apps/shortcuts I use all the time, the second has all the less frequently used and most of those are in folders.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,312member
    The lack of a built-in weather app on the iPad has always seemed like a big inconsistency to me. Hopefully, with the acquisition of Dark Sky this "rarity" can be removed once and for all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    FLMusicFLMusic Posts: 17member
    Speaking of more wallpaper settings, I hope they add a customizable dynamic wallpaper setting, in which you'd be able to set a wallpaper that would change when dark theme is enabled or simply at different times of the day. It was possible to set it up on iOS & iPadOS 13.0 via Siri Shortcuts, but it was removed on the later updates.
    watto_cobra