Review: Hogtalare Hi-Fi Wireless Bluetooth Speaker offers incredible performance but comes...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Morel has crafted a high-quality Bluetooth bookshelf speaker that comes as the total package -- minus the Wi-Fi, but does the performance justify the price?

Hogtalare Hi-Fi Wireless Bluetooth Speaker offers incredible performance but comes at a cost

Hogtalare is Swedish for "speaker," and the simple name reflects the simple design. Perhaps one of the best features of the speaker is how it can easily fit into most spaces. The design is minimalist consisting of little more than a square with a magnetic grill on the front.

The simplicity lends itself nicely to most decor. You can easily toss it on a bookshelf, near a TV, or on a bedside table, and it'll look good wherever you put it.

It comes in a range of colors -- you can pick black or white to blend into your decor, or blue or red to add a pop of color to your space. Additional magnetic grills can be purchased separately if you'd like to change up your color options later.

One interesting fact about the Hogtalare speaker is it's proportioned to fit perfectly into any IKEA Kallax or Expedit shelving system, which can make for a particularly striking effect.

The speaker can also be wall-mounted, though you'll have to purchase the wall mount bracket separately from the manufacturer.

Sound and Performance

Behind the grate
The speaker's controls are illuminated when in use and can be pressed through the speaker fabric

The speakers boast a 6-inch woofer and two high-resolution, 3/4-inch soft-dome tweeters. Each tweeter plays one channel, which creates a robust stereo experience.

The manufacturer states the Hogtalare has a 36hz-20khz frequency range, which makes for some exceptionally clear, full-sounding audio.

As far as the listening experience goes, we were extremely impressed with the Hogtalare speaker. It certainly fills up a space. The mids and highs are crystal clear, and the bass is appropriately rich and rumbly where it should be. Even at higher volumes, we didn't notice any distortion in the sound.

The volume itself on the speaker is also more than adequate, though, for our neighbors' sake, we didn't turn it up to maximum. Suffice it to say, it doesn't take much for this speaker to get loud. They'll be plenty sufficient for any house party you might want to throw.

We had no issues connecting the Hogtalare to either our MacBook Pro or our iPhone. If you purchase two speakers, you can pair them together for stereo sound, though as we had only received one unit for testing, we couldn't try out this feature.

If you so desire, you can also plug in analog audio sources -- or bypass the Bluetooth feature -- by plugging into the 3.5mm auxiliary input. We found this great for hooking up to a modern record player.

Price

The Hogtalare is not a cheap speaker. Coming in at just under $350 on Amazon, it's a decent chunk of change to spend on a device that is Bluetooth-only. The performance is outstanding, and Hogtalare met and exceeded all of our expectations.

We don't think that the price is too high, but this is not a Wi-Fi speaker, which we've come to expect at this price point. After all, Apple's own HomePod is $50 cheaper, offers incredible sound quality and volume, and comes with Siri built-in.

Back of the speaker

Morel notes the Hogtalare can easily be converted into a Wi-Fi Speaker by plugging a Google Chromecast ("or similar device") into the USB port on the back. However, for many people, a Bluetooth speaker that doesn't have smart features built-in may be preferable.

Overall

We loved the Hogtalare, and we think that most people would be impressed with its sound quality and simple design. Those who are in the market for a speaker with Wi-Fi connectivity will likely want to look elsewhere.

Where to buy

You can snag your own Hogtalare from Amazon for $349, where it ships for free.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Pros
  • Great sound quality
  • Attractive, simple design
  • Additional speaker grates available for separate purchase
    Cons
  • Steep price with no Wi-Fi features
amznzero

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 786member
    Looks interesting.

It would be nice if there were an option to be able use two of these speakers for real left/right channel stereo separation with space between the speakers. 

12” between the tweeters and a shared 6” woofer aren’t going to give you much of a soundstage.

As it is, and with other speakers of this kind, it’s sort of “giant mono”, not true stereo. Oh well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Correct me I’m wrong, but this Hogtalare is basically a stand alone speaker.

If that’s the buyers interest, why not buy a HomePod and get the additional features?

If the intention is to put together a audio system 
    Klipsch seems offer a lot more (Dolby Atmos).
    lkruppchasm
  • Reply 3 of 12
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Looks interesting.

It would be nice if there were an option to be able use two of these speakers for real left/right channel stereo separation with space between the speakers. 

12” between the tweeters and a shared 6” woofer aren’t going to give you much of a soundstage.

As it is, and with other speakers of this kind, it’s sort of “giant mono”, not true stereo. Oh well.
    Hogtalare seems to specialize in car audio.  They get high reviews on Amazon for that category.  But, home audio is a whole different ballgame...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    It's Bluetooth-only, which is lower quality...and doesn't offer any of the supposedly must-have digital assistants with supposedly must-have native support for Spotify...and costs more than a HomePod which is higher bandwidth and does offer native Siri support. Yet...4.5 stars.

Seeing a lot of 4.5 stars these days. 
    mbenz1962watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jonrojonro Posts: 64member
    Hooked up to a MacOS computer, HomePods still have a glaring deficiency when used as a stereo pair. They only work with iTunes music or the TV app. But, at $700 a pair, the Hotgalares would have to have incredible audio performance to be worth the money. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 786member
    Correct me I’m wrong, but this Hogtalare is basically a stand alone speaker.

If that’s the buyers interest, why not buy a HomePod and get the additional features?

If the intention is to put together a audio system Klipsch seems offer a lot more (Dolby Atmos).
    It seems really limited. Not even a wi-fi option. 
    That’s pretty bare bones compared to so many other single speaker units out there.
    I guess they’re counting on the multiple colored grilles and IKEA Shelving integration 🤣 to move units.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Looks interesting.

Hogtalare seems to specialize in car audio.  They get high reviews on Amazon for that category.  But, home audio is a whole different ballgame...
    They also build very expensive audiophile floor speakers and manufacture the actual elements for other hi-end btands. So, they know what they are doing.

chasm
  • Reply 8 of 12
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Looks interesting.

As it is, and with other speakers of this kind, it’s sort of “giant mono”, not true stereo. Oh 

Reading is fundamental. 

“ If you purchase two speakers, you can pair them together for stereo sound, ”

chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    For my particular setup, the HomePod more than does the job for me. When I bought them, I did not think I would use the Siri portion for much more than controlling the volume (since mine is on a shelf where I can't manually do that). But in truth I have ended up using the Siri assistant for general questions, song identification and like/dislike (it's really good at that), reading back messages, and quite a bit more. I haven't run into many if any instances where Siri couldn't help me, but then again I'm just asking general and music-related queries, so of course the main thing is playing rich, vibrant music either from my computer or Apple Music.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Hey guys,
    You're measuring two different things by their prices. It's like the Samsung fanboy's argument stating that for less money you can buy more cores.
    It's a speaker, it's supposed to sound good. Regarding it's audio qualities there's only a paragraph in your article the rest being HomePod bla bla Wifi bla bla pricepoint
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 11 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    jonro said:
    Hooked up to a MacOS computer, HomePods still have a glaring deficiency when used as a stereo pair. They only work with iTunes music or the TV app. But, at $700 a pair, the Hotgalares would have to have incredible audio performance to be worth the money. 
    Wrong. You can AirPlay to a stereo pair from iPhones, iPads, Mac, etc...They're audio endpoints within the ecosystem, regardless of device.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    These speakers sound amazing.  I bought one initially through Indiegogo for $160.  A total deal, and then a second at $250 because they were clearing out the inventory or something.  The sound is phenomenal and clear with no distortion at any level. These are as good as studio monitors as there is sounds in certain pieces of music that I never knew existed until I listened through these speakers.

Are they worth the $350 current price point?  I would have to say yes as you will be astonished by the sound, amplitude and clarity when it fills the room.  Believe me they can get loud and they can definitely handle.

Amazing Speakers!

Big props to Morel for creating the Hogtalare.

They're Excellent Speakers!

Hogtalare Hi-Fi Wireless Bluetooth Speaker offers incredible performance but comes at a cost

Behind the grate

Back of the speaker

edited September 2020