Unicode 14 release delayed 6 months due to COVID-19, version 13 emoji not impacted

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
An expected version 14 release of the Unicode Standard has been delayed to September 2021 due to COVID-19, the Unicode Consortium announced on Wednesday, meaning new emoji might not reach iPhone until 2022.

2020 Emoji
Sampling of new emoji set to debut in 2020.

According to the group, the pending release of version 14, which is anticipated to include specifications, data and corresponding emoji characters, will be postponed from March 2021 to September of that year.

Typically, developers are given a healthy lead time to incorporate a new Unicode release into their respective products, like Apple's iPhone. As an example, the version 13 Unicode Standard announced in March is expected to reach consumers in software updates this fall.

"Under the current circumstances we've heard that our contributors have a lot on their plates at the moment and decided it was in the best interests of our volunteers and the organizations that depend on the standard to push out our release date," said Mark Davis, President of the Unicode Consortium. "This year we simply can't commit to the same schedule we've adhered to in the past."

The change of plans does not impact the current version 13 release, meaning the 117 new emoji previewed in January should be available later this year.

Looking ahead, emoji character submissions have been postponed to September 2020.

In the interim, the consortium is investigating the feasibility of releasing a point update that integrates emoji sequences. Version 13's black cat, for example, is a sequence that combines the cat emoji and black large square emoji. Since sequences rely on existing code and characters, it might be possible to issue an update in time for 2021.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I’m so excited!  Soon I get 117 more things to search through to find the one I want. 

/s
    /s
    /s

I use 5 regularly and another 5 once in a blue moon.
    randominternetpersonelijahg
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    So many emojis, we are going to invent another language ha ha 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Whew! For a minute there, I was worried that I'd have to wait another six months to use the woolly mammoth emoji.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 4 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Oh, thank God! I was sweating that. Improved performance isn't everything. Why buy a new phone if it doesn't have the lated and greatest emojis! I can now rest easy.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Laugh all you want kiddies, but you should know that emojis are a highly susceptible cohort of the imagery demographic to the coronavirus.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    "Version 13's black cat, for example, is a sequence that combines the cat emoji and black large square emoji."

Uh... that's dumb.  How about when you select "black cat" it shows the black-colored cat as shown in the bottom right of the picture in this article?  These emoji people need to be assigned other work so they stop coming up with new ideas that no one needs or wants.
    elijahg
  • Reply 7 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    "Version 13's black cat, for example, is a sequence that combines the cat emoji and black large square emoji."

Uh... that's dumb.  How about when you select "black cat" it shows the black-colored cat as shown in the bottom right of the picture in this article?  These emoji people need to be assigned other work so they stop coming up with new ideas that no one needs or wants.
    You're missing the context. New emoji aren't thought-up by employees, it's a consortium and anybody can make suggestions. There is a delay right now due to COVID-19 described in the article preventing a proper new release, so as a stop-gap they're considering using sequences of existing glyphs rather than producing new ones.

"In the interim, the consortium is investigating the feasibility of releasing a point update that integrates emoji sequences. Version 13's black cat, for example, is a sequence that combines the cat emoji and black large square emoji. Since sequences rely on existing code and characters, it might be possible to issue an update in time for 2021."
  • Reply 8 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member

I’m so excited!  Soon I get 117 more things to search through to find the one I want. 

/s
    /s
    /s

I use 5 regularly and another 5 once in a blue moon.
    Thankfully, there's a recently-used section first and foremost.

Also, it's much faster to type the name of what you're looking for; intellisense will suggest it, or you can tap the emoji sign and it will be underlined for a suggestion.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    IMO we stopped needing new Emoji at least five years ago. At this point they just keep making more because nobody knows how to tell them to stop. Sorcerer’s Apprentice problem.
    MplsP
  • Reply 10 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    DAalseth said:
    IMO we stopped needing new Emoji at least five years ago. At this point they just keep making more because nobody knows how to tell them to stop. Sorcerer’s Apprentice problem.
    This x1000 Emojis started as a useful shortcut but have spiraled out of control.