Apple's sleep and health tracking ambitions extend to blankets and mattresses

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
Following many suggestions that Apple is bringing sleep tracking to the Apple Watch, the company appears poised to further delve into its Beddit purchase and develop bedding and blankets to monitor vital signs.

Apple looks to be extending this current Beddit strip into a full-blown bed mat
Apple looks to be extending this current Beddit strip into a full-blown bed mat

Sleep tracking has been coming to the Apple Watch for some time, and Apple even bought the Beddit third-party system for this purpose. But now a new patent suggests that the Apple Watch may not be needed as bedding and a mattress cover could be used instead.

"Traditionally, monitoring a person's sleep or vital signs has required expensive and bulky equipment," begins "Vital Signs Monitoring System," US Patent No 20200107785. It then points out that wearing such equipment makes the person uncomfortable, and so affects the very sleep patterns that it's trying to monitor.

This is specifically a criticism about the kind of sleep tracking that requires a stay in a medical facility, but it also makes points that could equally apply to an Apple Watch. Specifically, it says that currently any kind of worn device tends to be "configured to determine the vital signs based on one type of measurement or mode of operation."

What's more, an Apple Watch or any other device would monitor only the person wearing it. "[These] systems lack the capability of not only monitoring multiple users, but also incorporating the analysis of a first user into the analysis of a second user, whose sleep may be affected by the first user."

Apple's proposed solution, then, is effectively to have bedding that tracks the sleep of anyone lying on or under it. This appears to be an extension of Beddit's system, which saw a strip of material being placed under bedsheets and relaying data to an iPhone.

This extended version appears to suggest that instead of one short strip positioned under one part of a sleeping person's body, at least a larger portion of the bed would become a sensor.

"The monitoring system can include a plurality of sensors including, but not limited to, electrodes, piezoelectric sensors, temperature sensors, and accelerometers," says the patent. "Based on the measured values, the monitoring system can analyze the user's sleep, provide feedback and suggestions to the user, and/or can adjust or control the environmental conditions to improve the user's sleep."

That's you in bed with an Apple mat underneath and an Apple blanket. Look, this is useful.
That's you in bed with an Apple mat underneath and an Apple blanket. Look, this is useful.

While presumably adjusting the environmental conditions could involve data being sent to a HomeKit device to alter air conditioning, for instance, the patent refers more to providing a control system for the user. "[A] control panel can include a touch panel and/or display and be configured to interface with the user and/or a computer.... [It] can display heart rate, heart rate variability, respiratory rate, respiratory rate variability, user's motion, and user's temperature."

The mat, though, could also act as an electric underblanket and directly alter temperature itself. Apple refers to this as "active heating or cooling," and it would be more intelligent than a regular electric blanket, because it would adapt to more than one person. "[For example,] heating and/or cooling can be used to accommodate the differences in thermal comfort," it says.

So the mat would register a user's body pressing on it, and be able to distinguish between two users. The patent concentrates on very many ways that this can be done, for how it can determine "one or more physiological signals of a user," as well as of multiple users.

The invention is credited to two people at Apple, Shahrooz Shahparnia and Erno H. Klaassen. Both researchers hold multiple patents, but none clearly related to this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Outside of a tiny number of people with particular medical conditions I do not see the point of sleep monitoring. I know if I got a good night's sleep or not. I know if I slept on my arm wrong. I know if I tossed and turned. I don't need an app for that.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    I wonder if something like this could be used for alerting someone to sleep apnea.  Or even somehow communicating with a CPAP.

Having gone for a sleep test, it is harrowing if you don't sleep the way they want you to with all those things hooked up to your head.
    I could not sleep on my back the way I was told I had to and spent the whole night pretty much awake.  Results inconclusive.
    davenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    DAalseth said:
    Outside of a tiny number of people with particular medical conditions I do not see the point of sleep monitoring. I know if I got a good night's sleep or not. I know if I slept on my arm wrong. I know if I tossed and turned. I don't need an app for that.
    Actually, many people with sleep problems are not aware of it and believe they're sleeping fine. This technology could help with that. Still, the number of people who would likely need continuous monitoring is indeed likely small.
    razorpitpscooter63jahbladeStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    I sincerely believe that the root cause of most sleep issues is anxiety and stress. Yes, sleep apnea is a real thing, which I know about firsthand, but many (most?) cases of obstructive sleep apnea are closely related to over eating, excessive alcohol consumption, and a general reduction in physical activity and a resultant poor physical condition. The 24-hour news cycle, constant stream of media coverage, including individually generated media sources like Twitter, corrosive oneupmanship, marginalization, us-vs-them, and everything being a zero-sum game has taken its toll on individuals. Yes, nastiness and incivility has always existed, but it has gotten much worse, and with our inability to wean ourselves off of our connected devices means that  it’s now in our face 24 hours a day every day of our lives. 

No individual human brain is capable of internalizing all of the woes of the society that they live in, much less a society with constant connectivity and global exposure to the nastiness that is broadcast at full volume all of the time. Sleep is the brain’s way of defragmenting and cleansing itself from the turmoil and stresses of waking life. Unfortunately, we’re simply asking too much of the brain to handle the burden placed on it on a daily basis. With time and aging the cumulative deficits of sleep deprivation accumulate and ultimately the human body, as a system, starts to break down and fail. The loss of restorative sleep is the beginning of a systematic failure in the quality of one’s life. There is only one outcome if the system is not repaired. Measuring the effects and treating the symptoms aren’t going to improve anything unless the root causes are dealt with. 
    fastasleepgatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    DAalseth said:
    There are a huge number of people with sleep disorders that go undiagnosed. Sleep disorders are a silent epidemic. Without monitoring equipment, there’s no way to find out, other than feeling unrested. It took three professional sleep studies for my suspicion of not getting much of any delta (deep) sleep cycles to be proven for disability. And yes, a lack of sleep does kill people (just in case anyone was going to spew anti-sleep BS).

That said, I doubt Apple will be providing the appropriate tools to do a full EEG...

... NOR SHOULD THEY. The diversification has gone way too far (years ago). They can’t be bothered to provide us even reasonably bug-free iOS and Mac OS versions, or power-user hardware (that doesn’t throttle due to poor thermals) affordable by non-plutocrat individuals, and those products are in their original effing market!!

Someone with a focus on the core competencies needs to take over at Apple and cut out the fat before those core competencies are lost permanently, if that hasn’t already happened during the 2013-and-onward era of Apple’s Wall Street and form-over-function obsessions.
    razorpitpscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 20
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    I see a "Princess and the Pea" problem with this.
    (Although for some of us the "pea" might be spelled differently...)
    jimdreamworx
  • Reply 7 of 20
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I wonder if something like this could be used for alerting someone to sleep apnea.  Or even somehow communicating with a CPAP.

Having gone for a sleep test, it is harrowing if you don't sleep the way they want you to with all those things hooked up to your head.
    I could not sleep on my back the way I was told I had to and spent the whole night pretty much awake.  Results inconclusive.
    I could see this helping in having better sleep studies at home. Instead of going to a sleep center, you take a set of 'electrode' sheets home, put them on your mattress and complete the sleep study in the environment you are accustomed to for more accurate results. No wire mesh on your body and a blood oxygen sensor on your Apple Watch. Then if you are diagnosed with sleep apnea, you get a prescription for the sheets which, along with your Apple Watch can adjust the settings on your CPAP as needed. I know several people who have apnea and this might be the ticket to fine tune their CPAPs.
    jimdreamworxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    DAalseth said:
    and?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    dysamoria said:
    DAalseth said:
    There are a huge number of people with sleep disorders that go undiagnosed. Sleep disorders are a silent epidemic. Without monitoring equipment, there’s no way to find out, other than feeling unrested. It took three professional sleep studies for my suspicion of not getting much of any delta (deep) sleep cycles to be proven for disability. And yes, a lack of sleep does kill people (just in case anyone was going to spew anti-sleep BS).

That said, I doubt Apple will be providing the appropriate tools to do a full EEG...

... NOR SHOULD THEY. The diversification has gone way too far (years ago). They can’t be bothered to provide us even reasonably bug-free iOS and Mac OS versions, or power-user hardware (that doesn’t throttle due to poor thermals) affordable by non-plutocrat individuals, and those products are in their original effing market!!

Someone with a focus on the core competencies needs to take over at Apple and cut out the fat before those core competencies are lost permanently, if that hasn’t already happened during the 2013-and-onward era of Apple’s Wall Street and form-over-function obsessions.
    You want cheese with that?
    fastasleepStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 20
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    daven said:

I could see this helping in having better sleep studies at home. Instead of going to a sleep center, you take a set of 'electrode' sheets home, put them on your mattress and complete the sleep study in the environment you are accustomed to for more accurate results. No wire mesh on your body and a blood oxygen sensor on your Apple Watch. Then if you are diagnosed with sleep apnea, you get a prescription for the sheets which, along with your Apple Watch can adjust the settings on your CPAP as needed. I know several people who have apnea and this might be the ticket to fine tune their CPAPs.

True!  But with all the money rolling in from sleep studies, the medical profession has little incentive to support or accept DIY testing.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    This is important.
    The first CE I took after getting my nursing license was a course on sleep.  While most of the details of that have slipped away, one thing really stuck:  
    "Sleep is as necessary for life as air, food and water"

But poor sleep can also impact long term health by promoting heart disease and obesity -- and likely other chronic diseases as well.

But, one thing in the article I didn't get:   It kind of suggested that these devices could replace sleep monitoring by the Apple Watch.   That, I very much doubt since they do different things:   Bedding measures duration of sleep and its quality by measuring tossing & turning.   The Apple Watch can measure heart rate.   I think both are needed (and more).
  • Reply 12 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    dysamoria said:
    DAalseth said:

I’ve undergone five sleep studies in the past decade and I agree with those who say that the experience is so foreign to your normal sleep process that getting conclusive data is difficult. However, if these studies show that you stop breathing hundreds or thousands of times in the test interval and your oxygen levels tank into the 80s then you do have a life threatening problem. If you are not sleeping well your life will suck. If you really believe that you can get by on 4 or 5 hours of sleep per night and still function at 100%, you’ve already fallen off the cliff and your brain has already deceived you into the false belief that you are fully functional. It’s very obvious that one of our public leaders who claims to be “perfect” with 4-5 hours of sleep has serious cognitive limitations and bizarro behaviors that clearly defy common sense and logical reasoning.
    GeorgeBMacfastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    dysamoria said:

If anything will put me to sleep tonight, it'll be yet another rant from you about how much you hate Apple for ostensibly ruining your life.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    DAalseth said:
    You might know some stuff, but there's a lot you don't know.

The main thing I've used sleep tracking apps before for (24/7 Sleep I think it's called) has been to try using tracking in conjunction with an alarm that gradually wakes you during one of the "light" segments of your sleep cycle. Basically you tend to have roughly 90 minute cycles of deep and light sleep, and you can specify a window of time to be woken up before a particular time, and it'll do a gradually louder alarm soundscape during that lighter sleep period closest to your desired wakeup time. Waking up suddenly to an alarm during deep sleep is jarring and can leave you exhausted all day (and you may just dismiss it as something else). It makes a huge difference for many people.

I've been using a "sunrise light" alarm clock for a while now which works somewhat similar in that it's gradual, but I may try sans audio in conjunction with the sleep app alarm again and see how that works out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    DAalseth said:

I've been using a "sunrise light" alarm clock for a while now which works somewhat similar in that it's gradual, but I may try sans audio in conjunction with the sleep app alarm again and see how that works out.
    I use a wireless charger on the nightstand that causes my docked phone to act as a "sunrise light". It makes my display mimic the rising sun, starting out very dark red and gradually turning a brighter yellow/orange over a 15 minute period. It's become rare that the light itself doesn't wake me before the associated alarm goes off. Far less jarring and a great purchase IMO.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    DAalseth said:
    You could say the same of activity tracking or calorie tracking. However you can’t truly improve a thing if you can’t measure it, and having my nightly, weekly, monthly and so on data and sleep rings helps many people. When you can see it, it’s easier to care about it. My sleep has improved since I began tracking the actual metrics and saw how little I was getting. Most Americans are in the same boat.

Now I take active measures to get good sleep. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20

dysamoria said:
    DAalseth said:
    [snip]
    The diversification has gone way too far (years ago). They can’t be bothered to provide us even reasonably bug-free iOS and Mac OS versions, or power-user hardware (that doesn’t throttle due to poor thermals) affordable by non-plutocrat individuals, and those products are in their original effing market!!

My iOS and macOS are indeed reasonably bug-free. Not much crops up, I rarely ever have to reboot, etc. Nor sure what I’m doing wrong. 

And as has been explained and linked to you, thermal power throttling is normal. Any normal Intel desktop CPU throttles under load and heat. I’ve sent the links. 

Claiming Apple is focused on Wall Street rather than product is simply ignorant. The very opposite is true, which is why Wall Street routinely punishes Apple. 

Form over function claims are also untrue. And when this is made clear people whine about that, too, complaining about the looks. 

But we get it — you’re so mad that you can’t have a mini-tower tinkerer Mac. Sob. 
    edited April 2020 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20

This is important.
    The first CE I took after getting my nursing license was a course on sleep.  While most of the details of that have slipped away, one thing really stuck:  

But poor sleep can also impact long term health by promoting heart disease and obesity -- and likely other chronic diseases as well.

But, one thing in the article I didn't get:   It kind of suggested that these devices could replace sleep monitoring by the Apple Watch.   That, I very much doubt since they do different things:   Bedding measures duration of sleep and its quality by measuring tossing & turning.   The Apple Watch can measure heart rate.   I think both are needed (and more).
    AW sleep apps use HR, movement, and ambient sound as signals. 
  • Reply 19 of 20

dysamoria said:

If anything will put me to sleep tonight, it'll be yet another rant from you about how much you hate Apple for ostensibly ruining your life.
    It’s so crazy. Every week there is this deep resentment at Apple for imposing all these hardships, blocking his livelihood, etc...it’s truly bizarre. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 20

This is important.

AW sleep apps use HR, movement, and ambient sound as signals. 
    Good point on the ambient noise -- aka as snoring.   But I would think that a mattress pad or mattress could measure movement much more accurately that arm movements (but then again, the watch is pretty good at tracking steps & such with it.   So, maybe....)

edited April 2020 watto_cobra