Apple TV+ streaming select originals for free during COVID-19 quarantines

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ this week made a number of original series, movies and specials available to stream for free, though the limited time offer does not include award-winning serial "The Morning Show."

Apple is providing access to a select slate of programming free of charge to anyone with a device that supports the Apple TV app, reports Variety.

All users, including those without a paid Apple TV+ subscription, can watch "The Elephant Queen," a film documenting a 50-year-old elephant and her herd, the Kumail Nanjiani-produced anthology series "Little America," M. Night Shyamalan thriller "Servant," Hailee Steinfeld vehicle "Dickinson," and alternate timeline space race saga "For All Mankind."

Programming suitable for children includes "Helpsters," a show created by the makers of "Sesame Street," the reboot of "Ghostwriter," and "Snoopy in Space."

Absent from the list of free-to-stream titles is "The Morning Show," "See," "Amazing Stories," "The Banker," "Mythic Quest," "Hala," and "Oprah Talks." Newer releases like "Home Before Dark" are also restricted to paying subscribers.

The free shows were made available to viewers in the U.S. on Thursday and will expand to 100 countries and regions on Friday.

Apple's decision to grant limited access to its video streaming platform mirrors similar moves by HBO, AMC and others. Earlier this month, Epix began to offer free access to its catalog of content through Apple TV Channels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    The free of charge shows are, in my opinion, the only ones worth paying for.  
    ojtopitges
  • Reply 2 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Greedy Apple
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I wouldn't go that far, but For All Mankind is my favorite, and The Elephant Queen is excellent.

Given how many millions of people are entitled to a free subscription, I hope this moves the needle on getting people to try it out.  (Perhaps that's already the case, but we haven't heard Apple trumpeting amazing numbers, so I'm doubtful.)
    Beats
  • Reply 4 of 10
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    This isn’t just about the corona virus, it’s the result of Disney killing it with their streaming business.

Apple is at risk of losing subscribers (with new content halted) so making it free is prudent.

As many of us have been saying, Apple needs to beef up their offerings by buying someone like Sony Pictures.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    And still no one will watch.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I wouldn't go that far, but For All Mankind is my favorite, and The Elephant Queen is excellent.

Given how many millions of people are entitled to a free subscription, I hope this moves the needle on getting people to try it out.  (Perhaps that's already the case, but we haven't heard Apple trumpeting amazing numbers, so I'm doubtful.)
    ...SPOILER...

I'd like to see Elephant Queen, but my SO doesn't want to see a baby elephant starve to death. How bad is that scene(s)?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

This isn’t just about the corona virus, it’s the result of Disney killing it with their streaming business.

Apple is at risk of losing subscribers (with new content halted) so making it free is prudent.

As many of us have been saying, Apple needs to beef up their offerings by buying someone like Sony Pictures.
    I disagree, I think it's entirely about C19. Many of the networks are doing it, including HBO, who's is not considering to be a flopping failure, right? The existing ATV+ promo already has it free for so many, so I doubt your premise entirely.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    ITGUYINSD said:

...SPOILER...

I'd like to see Elephant Queen, but my SO doesn't want to see a baby elephant starve to death. How bad is that scene(s)?
    Sad. But truth to tell you aren’t actually that invested in that weedy little twig muncher. The end credits are more likely to get your blood boiling IMHO.

At least it isn’t as bad as the Disney one that has Natalie Portman narrating.  Ms Portman is many, many things, but a narrator isn’t one of them.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member

I disagree, I think it's entirely about C19. Many of the networks are doing it, including HBO, who's is not considering to be a flopping failure, right? The existing ATV+ promo already has it free for so many, so I doubt your premise entirely.
    Yes Apple has to do something. It’s the bandwagon effect, like governments everywhere with a brand new step to authoritarian government every few days*, corporations also have to be seen to be doing something on a regular basis or they aren’t doing enough.

* even before the effectiveness of the last announcement can be seen to be working or not. Ratchet, ratchet, ratchet. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Pretty nice from their side too offer some of the content for free even if one doesn't have a subscription, I usually use Netflix with Surfshark vpn also get more content, but I'm always open to checking out other streaming platforms. So, I guess the next one is Apple TV+, and I thought about checking out Sling TV or Hulu as well, haven't decided yet which one to look into. Any suggestions?
    edited April 2020