Get 3% cash back at Walgreens drive-thru with physical Apple Card

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
To help customers practice social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic, Apple is extending its 3% cash back reward to physical Apple Cards when users make a drive-thru order at Walgreens.

Apple Card

Typically reserved for touchless Apple Card transactions processed through Apple Pay, the 3% bonus is applicable to drive-thru purchases made with a physical Apple Card. Apple announced the promotion in an email to Apple Card holders on Friday.

"In an effort to help you practice social distancing, you'll now get 3% back with your titanium Apple Card when you use drive-thru ordering," Apple's email reads.

In addition to touchless Apple Pay payments, and the new physical card capability, Walgreens customers can get 3% cash back when paying with Apple Card online or through the Walgreens app.

Apple first partnered with Walgreens to offer Apple Card customers 3% cash back on certain items in September. As part of the deal, Walgreens agreed to expand availability of Apple accessories like Lightning cables, EarPods and iPhone cases to 2,600 stores.

Beyond the Apple Store and a handful of select retailers, Apple Card transactions net users 2% back on purchases processed through Apple Pay and 1% back on physical card swipes.

The Walgreens offer is valid now through June 30, according to Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    That’s cool but I’d really prefer a solution that allows me to use contactless payments at the drive-thru. It’s a little ridiculous that 5 years after Apple Pay was introduced that contactless payments either don’t exist at a drive-thru or that it’s some clunky way (have you ever seen someone use Apple Pay at a McDonald’s drive-thru?). Maybe after this we’ll start to see a solution roll out.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Walgreens was one of the earliest adopters of ApplePay -- which was especially notable as CVS refused to adopt it.  It's why I switched pharmacies to Walgreens and have not been in a CVS since.

But yeh, I agree with the above comment that merchants need to upgrade drive thru to include ApplePay.
    Today with Corona virus I restrict myself even more to those merchants who accept ApplePay.   Instead of getting my credit card infected I simply hold my AppleWatch over the terminal then, when I get back to my car, I disinfect both my hands and Apple Watch with Clorox wipes.  It minimizes the vectors that spread the infection.