Compared: iPhone 8 versus iPhone SE

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,921member
    There is a mistake with the name regarding recently released iPhone. Appropriate name is iPhone 8S or 9. It has nothing to do with SE. If ain't look like Duck than it is no Duck.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 22 of 27
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,138member
    Is this iPhone SE or iPhone 8 2020? I mean calling it iPhone SE may seem as a new product where in fact it's just iPhone 8 with up to date internals. Same refresh cycle as we've seen with MBA or iPads.
    What's the difference?  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,046member
    wood1208 said:
    There is a mistake with the name regarding recently released iPhone. Appropriate name is iPhone 8S or 9. It has nothing to do with SE. If ain't look like Duck than it is no Duck.
    No, you've simply misunderstood what the model is about. SE is Special Edition. While some believe it was about a smaller phone, it had long been argued by others that it was about Apple re-using an older shell with newer components, in order to capitalize on economies of scale from the older supply chain and manufacturing lines, in order to produce a cheaper phone. Now we know -- that's exactly what the SE model is for. 

Gruber of Daring Fireball writes it up for you:

https://daringfireball.net/2020/04/the_quadrennial_iphone_se_schedule

...the pattern is exactly the same. Thus, it is a duck.
    edited April 2020 ronnpscooter63tmay
  • Reply 24 of 27
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 392member
    dominoes said:
    Don't forget that the iPhone SE does NOT have 3D touch like the iPhone 8 has.
    Don’t forget that 3D Touch is not implemented in iOS 13 for any model of iPhone. So even if your phone supports it, you still don’t have it. 
    ronnpscooter63MisterKitjust cruisin
  • Reply 25 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    bonobob said:
    dominoes said:
    Don't forget that the iPhone SE does NOT have 3D touch like the iPhone 8 has.
    Don’t forget that 3D Touch is not implemented in iOS 13 for any model of iPhone. So even if your phone supports it, you still don’t have it. 
    3D Touch is dead and now obsolete, Apple has abandoned it.

To be honest, I remember the first time I tried it when a friend of mine bought one of the first iPhones with 3D touch some years back, and I wasn't that impressed by it, and I certainly have never seen it as an essential feature. A long press is almost the same thing and serves the same purpose.

As for this thread, I see no benefits at all in getting an iPhone 8 over the gen 2 SE. It actually seems kind of foolish to get the 8 right now, as its lifespan will be much shorter than the SE. 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    I love that they gave-up on the white bezels overall. Hopefully, they do the same with the lingering iPads and iPods soon. Make is consistent across the board- all black bezels in front, and the variety of different color options for the back of each device.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    vvk1vvk1 Posts: 11member
    How about iPhone 8 Qualcomm modem vs Intel (I assume) of the new SE?