Apple's Mac Pro wheels cost $699, and the feet run $299

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Still cheaper than 4 wheels for my BMW, but how many miles do we get on these ones?
    10 million.
    jeffythequick
  • Reply 22 of 36
    maltzmaltz Posts: 487member

$700 wouldn’t be so bad compared to the price in New Zealand.  $1,219.   The new iPhone SE is $800 in comparison!

Those are New Zealand dollars, and it presumably includes some VAT.  Convert NZ$1,219 to US$ and strip out the VAT, and they're actually quite a bit cheaper in New Zealand.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 36
    The thing that many of you are missing is the Apple Wheels come with free lifetime rotation, balancing and roadside assistance.  No chance of getting stuck on the side of the road with your Mac Pro in a rain storm.  No worrying about the dreaded nail punctures.  You really can't put a price on that type of peace of mind.  Although, it looks like Apple damn sure gave it a good try. :D :D
    mike54
  • Reply 24 of 36
    sjworldsjworld Posts: 94member
    thrang said:
    Are these run-flats?
    Better. The levitate after the break-in period.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,658member
    Are you sure these are made from stainless steel? I would have guessed they were actually made from unobtainium.
    mobird
  • Reply 27 of 36
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member
    Obviously these are low volume, essentially hand made items. Yes it seems crazy and wrong, but it is always expensive to make something, even casters, by hand out of premium materials. This was Apple's choice and they have to deal with the blowback. In the grand scheme of things this kerfuffle won't matter, but I wonder if some of these questionable design decisions won't happen as often now that Ive is gone?
  • Reply 28 of 36
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,257member
    dysamoria said:
    I’ve nothing clever to add, but I continue to me more and more appalled at Apple’s insanity with this specific product, this generation.
    When demand for the Mac Pro inevitably falls well below the apparent demand before release, Apple can say “as we told you, there is no real demand for such products”.

The pricing strategy just has to be deliberate. It is set up to fail.
    maltz
  • Reply 29 of 36
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    darkpaw said:
    Hang on...

Option 1: Buy Mac Pro with feet = Included in cost, so $0 extra
    Option 2: Buy Mac Pro with feet ($0), buy wheels later = $699 extra ==> $0 + $699 = $699

Option 3: Buy Mac Pro with wheels = $400 extra
    Option 4: Buy Mac Pro with wheels ($400), buy feet later = $299 extra, so $400 + $299 = $699

How is it more expensive to buy either kit afterwards?
    Well you assume the feet are $299 but baked into the price, with the wheels being a $400 surcharge on top of that so those are $699 separately, I guess.  
    No assumptions made at all. I don't know the price of the feet you get with a Mac Pro. It's $0 extra to have feet. My calculations show the total cost when you pick either option at build time and add the other type later. Both come to $699, so I'm not sure why this article really exists?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 36
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    Duplicate.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 31 of 36
    maltzmaltz Posts: 487member
    darkpaw said:
    darkpaw said:
    Hang on...

Option 2: Buy Mac Pro with feet ($0), buy wheels later = $699 extra ==> $0 + $699 = $699

Option 4: Buy Mac Pro with wheels ($400), buy feet later = $299 extra, so $400 + $299 = $699

Well you assume the feet are $299 but baked into the price, with the wheels being a $400 surcharge on top of that so those are $699 separately, I guess.  
    No assumptions made at all. I don't know the price of the feet you get with a Mac Pro. It's $0 extra to have feet. My calculations show the total cost when you pick either option at build time and add the other type later. Both come to $699, so I'm not sure why this article really exists?
    Because they're $699 in the first place!  lol
    fastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 36
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    entropys said:
    dysamoria said:
    I’ve nothing clever to add, but I continue to me more and more appalled at Apple’s insanity with this specific product, this generation.
    When demand for the Mac Pro inevitably falls well below the apparent demand before release, Apple can say “as we told you, there is no real demand for such products”.

This is the obvious conclusion the industry has accepted - and why design agencies are devolving Apple en-mass. 
  • Reply 33 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This is obviously a design test case for the wheels which will appear on Apple’s People Mover.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Unbelievable rip-off. It's as though Apple doesn't want anyone to buy those wheels. Even as an Apple shareholder, I think that's just asking too much for a relatively useless upgrade. I mean, it makes your Mac Pro go faster, but it doesn't make it faster where it matters. Sure, Apple donated millions of N95 masks but they're trying to make up for that donation by tightly squeezing their customers. No matter, I wouldn't buy those wheels as I'd use that money for some useful upgrade. Well, no one is being forced to buy those wheels, so Apple can charge whatever it wants. Those wheels will end up just like the HomePod. An over-priced product that almost no one will buy. For that amount of money, I could buy the latest bare-bones Intel NUC and enjoy using it.
    As I've said many time before, I think Apple's exec team and senior managers make so much money, they've lost all insight as to how ordinary people live and even on the constraints of most businesses (remembering that most businesses are small businesses).     When you make $millions, $700 for fancy wheels might not seem like so much money.   When one considers that you can get four high-end car tires for that, it seems quite ridiculous.   And it's not that Apple shouldn't make some fancy, high-end products -- I have no problem with Apple selling very expensive Apple Watch bands in addition to ordinary priced ones because that's common in the watch marketplace.   But this reeks of complete arrogance and at a time when almost all businesses and many workers are suffering, it's as big a misfire as David Geffen posting images of his yacht as the place he's going to wait out the Coronavirus.  

• Reply 35 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    entropys said:
    dysamoria said:

This is the dumbest take. If they didn't want to do it, they simply wouldn't have done it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member

darkpaw said:
    darkpaw said:
    Hang on...

Sorry, I meant *I* would assume. What I meant was, assuming the price of the feet is $299 and the wheels is $699 regardless if you buy them before or after — given $299 of the cost is baked into the base cost of the Mac no matter what — meaning if there was an option for no feet or wheels, the price for the Mac Pro would (ostensibly) be $299 lower — then buying both in either order = $699 extra.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra