Compared: iPhone SE versus iPhone XR versus iPhone 11

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Note there's a typo in the comparison table at top: the weight of the XR is 6.4oz (not 5.4oz), same as the 11.
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 22 of 33
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,669member
    These comparisons are quite useful but they aren’t always the final word on which device to select at retail because there are sometimes promotions in effect that change the value proposition. When the time came to replace my wife’s iPhone 6+ a couple of months ago I was fully prepared to move her to the iPhone XR. However, it actually turned out to be less expensive to move to the iPhone 11, which surprised me. No this didn’t involve any service commitment at all, I simply hit the retailer at a time when they had a special promotion on iPhone 11 in effect that made it cheaper than the iPhone XR. It’s not like it mattered to her though, other than being able to get the iPhone 11 in purple. Yeah, to some people you can move all the way to the last row in the above comparison chart to determine what’s driving the purchase decision. Yup.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Gruber puts a bow on it for you:
    “The question: What are things that occur every fourth year?

Add to that hypothetical Jeopardy answer another item: new iPhone SE models.”

LOL. That’s like saying US presidents get impeached every 130 years.

• Reply 24 of 33
    tommy65tommy65 Posts: 56member
    The XR is the better deal if you can live with the A12 & Face-ID. The SE is great if you are a first time buyer who does not like to pay more than $400. The 11 is still to expensive in regards to the SE so has other type of customers who love a great camera island but do no want to pay the Pro-prices.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    I’m surprised they kept the XR. – And the SE might see quite some revival, as FaceID does not work with face masks.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,725member
    Hola, Amigos, y el SE nuevo!

I have been interested in the new SE since 2017. No Joke. I looov my current 2016 SE.

SE, SE .... lol

I WILL NOT buy the new one.

It is Not Comfortable to hold. 
    <snip>

talexy said:
    What I do not like about this device is that the 4" form factor got lost. That was one of the most compelling features of the old SE in may opinion. But I understand, that the main reason for being of this device is that they don't have to design a new chassis for it.
    I had an SE after using a 6Plus and a 7plus for a combined total of about 4 years.  

Nice in the hand.  Great for calls.  Fits in a pocket.  

Virtually unusable for me otherwise.   Maybe it’s my big fingers, or I just got used to the bigger keyboard, but I found the SE clumsy to use as anything but a phone.  The camera was sub-par, the keyboard was too small, the screen couldn’t show enough of any web page for my old eyes.   I absolutely preferred the bigger screen because of what it could do for me.   I got used to having a giant slab on my hip.  That only bothered me for about 30 minutes.  

So enjoy what you can get while you can.   I moved up through 3GS, 4, 5, but I always wanted more screen for using an iPhone as an internet appliance.   That is what I used it for.   That’s what’s really made the iPhone successful and took market share back from Samsung.   

We have to understand the economics of Apple building a small phone at relatively low volumes.  They literally reuse as much tech as possible to keep the costs down, but eventually that tiny screen starts to cost more per square millimeter than the 4.7” screens used for the iPhone8 because the volume drops down.  

Apple doesn’t disclose how many iPhone SEs they sell anymore, but there are estimates.   It’s down there at the bottom.   

But Apple is smart enough to fill that hole for people who want small above all.   The market is still worth hundreds of millions of dollars.  But they won’t give it away.  $399 probably has a hefty profit margin.   

Enjoy it.   If the iPhone 6/7/8 factor is too big for you, then let us know what your alternative is.   It’s probably junk and worse than the SE original even today.  
  • Reply 27 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    So when is AI going to fix the price for the Xr  on their chart? $449 is The trade in price while they have the full price listed for the SE and 11. They should have the full Xr price of $599 listed. 
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 28 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    nicmart said:
    Get the SE with adequate memory and, as usual for Apple, the price is absurd. It's a terrible value compared to many Android phones. After almost 40 years of buying Apple, I'm sick of the ripoff.

nicmart said:
    Get the SE with adequate memory and, as usual for Apple, the price is absurd. It's a terrible value compared to many Android phones. After almost 40 years of buying Apple, I'm sick of the ripoff.
    Terrible value at 399.00 with these internals?  $50.00 more gets you double the memory ? I personally stream my music with Apple Music and my personal stuff through match. Right now on my Pro Max (64gb) I have 2,900 photos 65 videos and 82 applications with 34.54GB left available.  I am not sure what your use case is but I believe 64gb will work for the majority of folks that would look to purchase this phone. 

It seems by your post history all of Apple’s pricing makes you unhappy.  As if they were cheaply priced 40 years ago and suddenly gotten super expensive? If you are spec to price = value type of person than Android seems right for you and it may be time to move on. 

There are a ton of folks that will snatch up this phone at this price and use it for years. If you look at it with longevity in mind $399.00 is a great price for a phone that can be used 3-4 maybe even 5 years and be kept current with the newest software and security updates. 

I am not sure what similarly priced Android phone would give you 4 years of use with current updates to software and security.. do you ?  

I have never used and Android phone and only ever really read about the various flagships as they are released and reviewed, so I could be incorrect in what I am saying here? 

• Reply 29 of 33
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    nicmart said:
    If the iPhone and Android phones were interchangeable, you might have a point.

They aren't.

Good luck with your future Android phone.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    petri said:
    Of the three I still think XR is best bang for the buck.  It still has a significant battery life advantage over the SE (not mentioned here) and the benefits of the bigger screen and Face ID more than outweigh the minor processing bump IMHO.

I would hesitate to buy any phone right now -- no 5G.   It's not a big deal now -- at least here in the U.S.   But over the life of the phone it will become increasingly important.
    I would hesitate to buy any phone with 5G right now, as most are the first generation, power hungry, and aren't going to support mmwave bands, which is where all of those awesome speeds come in.

Of course, you and AvonB7 are well known for preaching the benefits/hype of 5G, and how Apple is at a YUGE disadvantage, but neither of you will likely have a 5G phone until after Apple ships the iPhone 12 anyway. All talk, and few Apple's users will find the need to buy into 5G until the iPhone 12 is shipped.

Seems Apple will be hitting the sweet spot for actually delivering 5G. I'd bet that the story this fall is how the 5G infrastructure isn't in place to support all of the new Apple iPhone 12's being purchased.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 31 of 33
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    iPhone SE2 is the best iphone Apple has made. We used everything we learned from previous phones, and have produced this: Introducing the all new iPhone SE. Starting at only $399usd. 
  • Reply 32 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,043member
    nicmart said:
    Haha yeah right. 

Troll Score: 2 of 10
  • Reply 33 of 33
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    nicmart said:
    Yes, $399 is obviously very expensive for an iPhone in 2020, that happens to have the most powerful and advanced mobile CPU on the planet and comes with the best mobile OS, the best ecosystem and support on the planet.

On what planet do you live where $399 is considered expensive? Do you live in a trash can?

This is the best value in an iPhone to ever have been released. Of course, nobody is forcing you to buy it, so you should go and get one of the Android phones that you mention, that are a much better value, according to you. Good luck with that.

edited April 2020