Logitech keyboard & trackpad combo cases for iPad and iPad Air now available

Posted:
in iPad edited April 23

The Logitech Combo Touch keyboard case for iPad and iPad Air is now available to order for just $149.

The Logitech Combo Touch keyboard case takes advantage of Apple's new trackpad feature for iPadOS
The Logitech Combo Touch keyboard case takes advantage of Apple's new trackpad feature for iPadOS

After Apple announced the new trackpad support in iPadOS, Logitech announced new keyboard cases for iPads sporting the old smart connector design. Those cases are now available for order, and can be purchased for the iPad (7th-generation) and the iPad Air.

The product's availability comes on the heels of Apple making their Magic Keyboard with Trackpad for iPad Pro available for order as well. Shipments for the Logitech keyboards will arrive Friday if ordered now.

Support for a cursor in iPadOS is a huge departure from Apple's touch-first operating system. The new feature still only works with certain trackpads, specifically Apple's second generation Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse. Other devices connected over Bluetooth run into lagging issues and other compatibility problems. Any mouse connected via cable or smart connector works great, however, making the Logitech Combo Touch keyboards good candidates for purchase.

Apple's iPad Pro Magic Keyboard also features a hardware connection, but costs $299 or $350 depending on the model. Logitech has not announced a similar keyboard for the iPad Pro as of yet.

Both the iPad Air keyboard and iPad (7th-generation) keyboard cost $149 and ship in one business day from Apple. Logitech states the new products are coming soon on its own website.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    jdmac29jdmac29 Posts: 42member
    I ordered for my 10.5 pro. Should arrive on Monday. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    sjworldsjworld Posts: 94member
    I’ll buy this one rather than get ripped off by Apple again.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    sjworld said:
    I’ve been steering clear of Logitech keyboards since the first one I had, for a 9.7 Air, broke at the fastener that holds the iPad in place. Once that happened the iPad wouldn’t stay in place and using the keyboard became a chore and was quickly disconnected. Logitech told me that was a known issue and replaced it free of charge since it was within the warranty period. Then the replacement keyboard broke in exactly the same way. Logitech sent another replacement and that one also broke at the same spot. 

When I got an iPad Pro I decided to go with Apple’s keyboard and have never had any issues. To me it’s worth spending more money for something that isn’t constantly breaking and having to wait for a replacement over and over.

I see a quote that is credited to Benjamin Franklin that goes something like this, “The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.” Seems apt here.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,370member
    Cool. I’ve been waiting for this specific model for my iPad Pro 10.5” to be available from Logitech, which was estimated to be coming sometime in May 2020. Now I only have to wait until next Monday. I had a Logitech keyboard on my iPad Mini and it worked pretty well even though it was Bluetooth. Glad this new one has a holder for the Apple Pencil.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    It’s not available for iPad Pro ....
  • Reply 6 of 14
    dewme said:
    Cool. I’ve been waiting for this specific model for my iPad Pro 10.5” to be available from Logitech, which was estimated to be coming sometime in May 2020. Now I only have to wait until next Monday. I had a Logitech keyboard on my iPad Mini and it worked pretty well even though it was Bluetooth. Glad this new one has a holder for the Apple Pencil.
    Not available for iPad Pro ....
  • Reply 7 of 14
    towanda said:
    dewme said:
    The 10.5" iPad Pro is physically identical to the current 10.5" iPad Air. This case works with both. Although looking at the pictures of it I do wonder if two of the four speakers on the Pro will be blocked. 
    edited April 2020 watto_cobradewme
  • Reply 8 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    I have a Logitech keyboard folio for my 2nd generation iPad Pro and it’s been an awesome case. It uses the smart connector so I never have to worry about charging it and the keyboard snaps on and off almost effortlessly. They keyboard is far superior to the membrane ‘smart’ keyboard that Apple had and includes a row of function keys, too, something Apple never bothers to include.

This isn’t for the 12” ipad, but I note that it’s less than half the price of Apple’s keyboard. Hmmm... maybe Apple is overcharging a bit?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    sjworld said:
    It probably won’t work as well. Both Logitech and Brydge have gotten fairly good reputations with their keyboards. But the new Brydge with trackpad, which i have on order, is getting mixed reviews, Apple insider seems to lime it, which is why i ordered it. But others, such as Jason Snell, hadve said that not only is the trackpad laggy, but it doesn’t alway recognize input. I expect the Logitech to have the same problems.

i ordered the Magic Keyboard when Apple announced it, and it should be here soon, so I’ll see how it compares. The keys are going to be much better than the ones one then Folio, which I’m typing on now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14

MplsP said:
    I have a Logitech keyboard folio for my 2nd generation iPad Pro and it’s been an awesome case. It uses the smart connector so I never have to worry about charging it and the keyboard snaps on and off almost effortlessly. They keyboard is far superior to the membrane ‘smart’ keyboard that Apple had and includes a row of function keys, too, something Apple never bothers to include.

This isn’t for the 12” ipad, but I note that it’s less than half the price of Apple’s keyboard. Hmmm... maybe Apple is overcharging a bit?
    Or maybe this isn't as sophisticated or as well made?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    melgross said:

MplsP said:

We'll see - like I said, the Logitech folio I have has been flawless, more functional and was cheaper than Apple's option when I purchased it. At least with this version Apple made a real keyboard instead of the membrane keys they had on their early versions. The tilting mechanism is the big feature that no one else has. It certainly looks nice, but whether it's worth an additional $150 remains to be seen.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:

MplsP said:

We'll see - like I said, the Logitech folio I have has been flawless, more functional and was cheaper than Apple's option when I purchased it. At least with this version Apple made a real keyboard instead of the membrane keys they had on their early versions. The tilting mechanism is the big feature that no one else has. It certainly looks nice, but whether it's worth an additional $150 remains to be seen.
    That and the additional USB-C port. As far as I can tell that’s another thing the others don’t have. To me that’s a pretty good feature. Being able to charge and use, say, my SD card reader at the same time will be nice. Not having to fiddle with unplugging a cable, plugging in the adapter, unplugging he adapter and plugging the cable back in is welcome.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:

MplsP said:

That and the additional USB-C port. As far as I can tell that’s another thing the others don’t have. To me that’s a pretty good feature. Being able to charge and use, say, my SD card reader at the same time will be nice. Not having to fiddle with unplugging a cable, plugging in the adapter, unplugging he adapter and plugging the cable back in is welcome.
    I agree. I’m really looking forwards to this. I ordered the Brydge before Apple announced this. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,370member
    towanda said:
    dewme said:
    The 10.5" iPad Pro is physically identical to the current 10.5" iPad Air. This case works with both. Although looking at the pictures of it I do wonder if two of the four speakers on the Pro will be blocked. 
    Both Apple and Logitech list this keyboard as an iPad Pro 10.5” compatible accessory. If there’s an issue I’ll send it back, but I doubt both parties would go to such great lengths to advertise compatibility if there was a major issue. We’ll see.