Mac Pro can now be configured with AMD's W5700X GPU

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
As of Wednesday, Apple's Mac Pro workstation can now be upgraded to a Radeon Pro W5700X graphics card equipped with 16GB of GDDR6 memory.

The W5700X graphics card wasn't initially available at launch.
The W5700X graphics card wasn't initially available at launch.

When Apple launched the redesigned Mac Pro in December, it said that the W5700X GPU would become available as an upgrade in the "near future." A few months later, buyers can now opt for the middle-tier graphics card when using Apple's build-to-order tool.

Upgrading a Mac Pro to the Radeon Pro W5700X graphics card will cost customers $600. Apple is also offering an option to add two of the graphics cards for a total of $1,600.

The W5700X is a full-sized MDX Module based on AMD's RDNA architecture. It offers 40 compute units and 2,560 stream processors, as well as up to 9.4 teraflops of single-precision performance and 18.9 teraflops for half-precision. As far as output, the W5700X can support up to six 4K displays, three 5K displays or three Pro Display XDRs, and comes with four Thunderbolt 3 ports and one HDMI port.

Mac Pro buyers now have four choices for factory GPUs, including the Radeon Pro 580X, Radeon Pro Vega II and Radeon Pro Vega II Duo options that have been available since launch.

In addition to Apple, AppleInsider affiliate Expercom is offering the W5700 GPU option for Mac Pro. Prices start at $6,125.10 with coupon code appleinsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Ha! Of course it can. I just bought it 10 days ago with the 32 gb GPU because I got tired of waiting for the W5700X. Everyone has me to thank. 
    seanismorrisrezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    always a year behind
    virtualshift
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Buy one, 600$, buy two, 1600$. What's the logic?

virtualshiftcaladanianpulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Too little, too late, and definitely too much $.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    sjworld said:

Greed.
    Or just no 580X rebate on the second cards?
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    All the Youtube tech-heads are asking for AMD CPUs instead of the "outdated" Intel CPUs Apple is providing in all its computers. Apparently, AMD has become the new king of CPUs. I guess it's back to the drawing board for Apple. It's unlikely Apple will ever be able to keep up with Windows PCs and it's probably not even worth the effort in trying to.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

The first one is discounted from the exchange of the standard configuration's single GPU, a trade-in credit. The second one is full price.
    edited April 2020 doozydozenapplguysunman42watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    Ha! Of course it can. I just bought it 10 days ago with the 32 gb GPU because I got tired of waiting for the W5700X. Everyone has me to thank. 
    At least you will get more bang for your buck!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 620member
    All the Youtube tech-heads are asking for AMD CPUs instead of the "outdated" Intel CPUs Apple is providing in all its computers. Apparently, AMD has become the new king of CPUs. I guess it's back to the drawing board for Apple. It's unlikely Apple will ever be able to keep up with Windows PCs and it's probably not even worth the effort in trying to.
    Apple never tried, and they never will try to become king. You should know that by now. They serve completely different markets.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Well with in the returnable time frame I would have thought,
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Apple's 14 day return policy states the clock starts from the time you received it. (Has to be purchased from Apple to return to Apple, however.)
    watto_cobra