Apple's luxury, over-ear headphones expected later in 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
A new report on Thursday morning is claiming that Apple's long-rumored over-ear headphones are coming soon, and offers some new details about what the company has seeded to its employees for testing.

Apple Beats headphones

Thursday's report isn't the first to say that there were Apple high-end headphones on the way. It is the first to offer details, however.

According to Bloomberg's sources familiar with the matter, prototypes of the headphones have oval-shaped ear cups, connected to a headband with metal arms. Earpads and headband padding allegedly connect magnetically, allowing for easy exchange.

Furthermore, Thursday's report says that there are at least two variations, including one with leather, and a fitness version with breathable materials. It isn't clear how the "two variation" claims aligns with the other allegation of magnetically-swappable materials, as it would seem that with swappable fabrics on the ear and headband that there would be no need for multiple variants.

As with other rumors that have swirled about the audio accessory, Bloomberg says that Apple will use wireless connectivity and noise cancellation technology in the headphones.

Rumors about an Apple-branded -- and not Beats -- set of over-ear headphones started circulating in February 2018. At the time, Ming-Chi Kuo predicted an "all new" design with high quality audio components that will boost performance.

An April 7 report claimed that the release was coming as soon as the WWDC timeframe. That report, by Jon Prosser, said that the headphones under development had codename B515, will cost consumers $350, and will be similar to the Bose 700.

Thursday's report notes that Apple's launch of the product has been postponed at least twice, and have been in development since "at least 2018."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Does this mean the kids are buying Apple and not Beats?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    Rayz2016 said:
    If every iPhone user in the world bought Apple headphones, there would still be a market of over 2 billion Android users for Beats headphones 

The Beats brand can co-exist, since many still don’t even realize the company is owned by Apple.

That being said, AirPods are all the rage for kids, but a luxury headphone like what’s described would be well out of reach for most kids, let alone adults. Easily a $400 product.
    dewme
  • Reply 3 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wonder if we will see a new market for interchangeable headband color options and swappable parts just like the Watch wristbands. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Rayz2016 said:
    If every iPhone user in the world bought Apple headphones, there would still be a market of over 2 billion Android users for Beats headphones 

The Beats brand can co-exist, since many still don’t even realize the company is owned by Apple.

That being said, AirPods are all the rage for kids, but a luxury headphone like what’s described would be well out of reach for most kids, let alone adults. Easily a $400 product.
    Well out of reach...?  Have you seen many a 'kid's' bedroom these days with X Boxes and PC gaming machines?  If Apple added a detachable mic on a boom they sell like hotcakes to these kids.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Rayz2016 said:

For years kids walked around with $300.00 plus Beats cans around their necks like a fashion accessory hahaha?  Kinds do like Airpods nowadays for sure, but it's certainly not because they are cheaper.

• Reply 6 of 10
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    As long as it’s not $600 headphones 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    MacPro said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Well out of reach...?  Have you seen many a 'kid's' bedroom these days with X Boxes and PC gaming machines?  If Apple added a detachable mic on a boom they sell like hotcakes to these kids.
    LoL! Today $400 is well out of reach. Three weeks ago it was $1200 “you can’t afford”.  I’m perplexed why the Magic Keyboard at $350 or a new MacBook Air at $999 isn’t presented this way. Meanwhile we see reports of huge numbers of iPhone 11 Pro Max being sold for well over the prices that are “out of reach” and “you can’t afford”. 

Back on topic, in my area I’m much more likely to see someone with AirPods than I am to see someone with Beats. I realize that Apple knows exactly how many headphones they sell in any particular style but it still kinda surprises me that it’s enough to warrant a new product in the over-the-ear category.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    If the headphone is “only” $350, it is far from premium. A “normal” higher end headphone is easy $800-$2000. And I am not even talking about the real premium headphone that cost multiple thousand.

$350 can’t even buy a set of Mac Pro wheels.
    aderutter
  • Reply 9 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    Better have excellent sound and ANC better than benchmark competitors at that price 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    $350 is not expensive, it is mid-range. And it does illustrate the bargain that the new iPhone SE is.
    Am holding off buying new Sennheiser Momentum headphones to see if these are better.
    Beats are far too bass heavy for use by most people so this is very welcome news from me. Well overdue.