Apple delivers 160,000 medical face shields to Los Angeles

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Port of Los Angeles announced on Friday that it received 160,000 of Apple's in-house designed face shields through the company's donation program.

An illustration of the Apple-designed and produced face shields.
An illustration of the Apple-designed and produced face shields.

As part of its broader endeavor to help organizations fighting COVID-19, Apple in April said it was launching a "company-wide effort" to design and produce face shields for medical personnel and on the front lines of the coronavirus response.

Now, 160,000 of those face shields have been delivered to Logistics Victory Los Angeles, a city effort that links suppliers of personal protective equipment with organizations that need them.

"Los Angeles thanks Apple for this generous donation of face shields that are critical to frontline health care workers battling the COVID-19 pandemic," said Gene Seroka, executive director of the Port of Los Angeles and, since March, LA's chief logistics officer.

Apple first began distributing its face shields to hospitals in the Santa Clara Valley in early April, with plans to ship at least a million of the masks by the end of the month's second week.

"These pack flat. 100 per box," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a Twitter video on April 5. "Each shield is assembled in less than two minutes and is fully adjustable. We're sourcing materials and manufacturing in the U.S. and China."

Apple is dedicated to supporting the worldwide response to COVID-19. We've now sourced over 20M masks through our supply chain. Our design, engineering, operations and packaging teams are also working with suppliers to design, produce and ship face shields for medical workers. pic.twitter.com/3xRqNgMThX

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

The Apple Face Shield has a dedicated support page for healthcare employees with instructions on assembly, use and cleaning.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Was hoping to see some cool industrial design action.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    JWSC said:
    Function over form.  :)
    mdriftmeyer
  • Reply 3 of 9
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple should sell these on their site. I'd order one, especially if they had a cool Apple logo on them!

If everybody has to wear masks then obviously wearing one of these in addition to the mask would be far more effective.

If I'm already wearing a mask when walking outside, then I might as well wear one of these too on my head. I don't want any virus getting into my eyes or any other place. Who cares what it looks like. Everybody already looks ridiculous with all of their masks and face coverings.

I also have to laugh at all of the people I see wearing scarves or bandanas outside, I don't think that they're effective at all.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    XedXed Posts: 2,568member
    apple ][ said:
    I also have to laugh at all of the people I see wearing scarves or bandanas outside, I don't think that they're effective at all.
    Really? You're laughing at people that are unable to find N95 and better masks? You're laughing at people that are unable to get masks because we have a shortage due an incompetent government that repeatedly ignored the CDC? You're laughing at people who are less fortunate than you? Really?!

Yes, they are effective. Not as effective as N95 masks, but considerably better than nothing at all, but you go ahead and laugh at people trying to make the best of a bad situation.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 5 of 9
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    JWSC said:
    Function over form.  :)
    An industrial designer would say that’s a false choice, as form follows function.  I’m thinking you substituted the word ‘form’ for ‘ornamentation’ and Apple is minimalist in the ornamentation department.

Don’t get me wrong.  It appears to be a perfectly good face shield.  But it being Apple, I couldn’t help but hope for more.  It’s Apple’s fault for setting such high expectations with its products. (Yes, I’m shamelessly deflecting the blame elsewhere. 😉)

I’m guessing that the state of the face shield design is driven by the need for speed rather than having the designers ponder various functions or attributes of the design while looking at 40 prototypes and field testing hundreds of units.

Good design is truly hard.  And with the immediacy of the need, Apple wasn’t going to spend months on it.  But Apple, a year from now I want the gold standard face shield.  No excuses. 😁
  • Reply 6 of 9
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Xed said:
    apple ][ said:
    Really? You're laughing at people that are unable to find N95 and better masks? You're laughing at people that are unable to get masks because we have a shortage due an incompetent government that repeatedly ignored the CDC? You're laughing at people who are less fortunate than you? Really?!

Yes, they are effective. Not as effective as N95 masks, but considerably better than nothing at all, but you go ahead and laugh at people trying to make the best of a bad situation.
    I like to keep myself entertained, regardless of the situation.

I also laugh at people wearing surgical masks, but they have them not covering their nostrils. A good example of that is the stupid woman who is the Congressional COVID task force leader who does not know how to wear a medical mask.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    You have to admit, some folks are funny.  These two foreign tourists had plenty of opportunity to have masks here in Cebu City, Philippines.  There are seamstresses all over the city sewing washable cloth masks and selling them for 35 pesos each (that’s 70 cents).  I bought 32 to share out with seven friends. You need four; wear a different one each day and hand wash them with soap and water at the end of the day.  By the fifth day the one you washed the first day is dry and has sat for several days, so you can wear it again.  Here there are zero N95 masks, but the purpose of everyone wearing a mask is to protect one another more than ourselves.  Any face covering that prevents a sneeze or cough from aerosolizing is appropriate to that task.  Maybe even these party hats.  But they are also comical.  
  • Reply 8 of 9
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    apple ][ said:
    Apple should sell these on their site. I'd order one, especially if they had a cool Apple logo on them!

If everybody has to wear masks then obviously wearing one of these in addition to the mask would be far more effective.

If I'm already wearing a mask when walking outside, then I might as well wear one of these too on my head. I don't want any virus getting into my eyes or any other place. Who cares what it looks like. Everybody already looks ridiculous with all of their masks and face coverings.

Bandanas and scarves are intended to protect YOU from THEM. You should tell those people thank you for wearing them since a cough or sneeze or simply talking doesn't spew droplets everywhere. The bandana absorbs most of it. If everyone wore one it would be one less worry, we'd be far less likely to infect or be infected by the others around us. In essence they serve as a surgical mask, meant to protect others from whatever you might have.  Surgical masks don't protect the doctor from the patient. 

FWIW I do wear N95's when grocery shopping or a needed trip to acquire hardware/materials (doing a bit of home remodeling). If I didn't have one (which are only 95% effective, N/P 95 duh), I'd at least go for the bandana or surgical mask Otherwise for a simple trip to get gas or do a quick run at the park why bother? I'm generally not encountering anyone closer than 10'. Handwashing after every jaunt? Absolutely. Can't always remember everything I've touched and it's amazing how often you touch your face or nose or mouth when you have reason to pay attention to such things. 
    edited April 2020 radarthekatsteven n.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    apple ][ said:

The scarfs and bandannas work great at containment if the person is infected. It can cut between 90-95% of the droplets from coughs and sneezes. In other words, much better than nothing.