ARM-based MacBook, Apple game controller coming soon says leaker

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If ARM Mac is comparable in performance to Intel x86 and major applications like MS Office, Adobe, etc runs on it; rest will follow quickly. I will buy instantly 14" ARM Macbook Pro.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    knowitall said:
    MacBook ARM sounds logical.
    A new brand name for Apple computers would be quite interesting. Apple has changed the branding for the prior 2 transitions, and finding a new catchy brand name appears quite difficult.

Apple Book?
    Apple Book Pro?
    Apple Macintosh XDR?
    Apple Frame?

Pretty tough to come up with a good name.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    PowerBook as a nice ring to it
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    It had better be a great controller. I just bought a PS4 controller last week. Works great with my Mac.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    tht said:
    knowitall said:
    A new brand name for Apple computers would be quite interesting. Apple has changed the branding for the prior 2 transitions, and finding a new catchy brand name appears quite difficult.

Apple Book?
    Apple Book Pro?
    Apple Macintosh XDR?
    Apple Frame?

iBook was great before everyone ripped the "i" off.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    lkrupp said:
    knowitall said:
    Maybe, but I’n guessing it will run some modified version of iOS and may only run iOS apps. Unless, of course, Apple comes up with a fast and reliable framework (like Rosetta) to emulate X86 code. Will developers have to create universal binaries again like they did for the PowerPC/Intel move.?
    What?! No! At least consider iPadOS and iPad apps instead of iOS and iPhone apps, but even suggesting that it won't run macOS is foolish.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    tht said:
    knowitall said:

Apple Book?
    Apple Book Pro?
    Apple Macintosh XDR?
    Apple Frame?

I'd think emoji apple not the word like the ߍtch.
    Only Mac's will be those pro names now.

ߍtch
    ߍone
    ߍd
    ߍok
    ߍsplay (iMac sized ARM devices would also work as a display with own eGPU over cable to a mac or wireless sidecar)

Oops... logo emoji don't work.

mac
    macBook
    macPro
    ProDisplayXDR

edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 33
    It is becoming more obvious to me that Apple is waiting to re-release/update the MacBook 12" or the likes of something like it, when it releases the ARM chip. MacBook was the F-22 of the laptop lineup, and so it will be again with the new keyboard and the ARM chip. Then it will proliferate to the rest of the laptops. What do you guys think?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    uffenman said:
    It is becoming more obvious to me that Apple is waiting to re-release/update the MacBook 12" or the likes of something like it, when it releases the ARM chip. MacBook was the F-22 of the laptop lineup, and so it will be again with the new keyboard and the ARM chip. Then it will proliferate to the rest of the laptops. What do you guys think?
    I hope they don't release a 12" laptop. A 13.3" laptop in the same footprint as the discontinued MB12 sure, but not a 12" 16:10 laptop. The display is too small to be a mainstream laptop for applications and workflows of today. Not so bad 15 years ago, but today? I don't think it will be successful.
    uffenman
  • Reply 30 of 33
    uffenmanuffenman Posts: 48member
    tht said:
    uffenman said:
    I hope they don't release a 12" laptop. A 13.3" laptop in the same footprint as the discontinued MB12 sure, but not a 12" 16:10 laptop. The display is too small to be a mainstream laptop for applications and workflows of today. Not so bad 15 years ago, but today? I don't think it will be successful.

well maybe not exactly a 12"....something a tad smaller and lighter than the MBA. As it stands the MBA is almost 3 lbs....I don't think they want that as their F-22 laptop....the 11" MBA was a real hit....I am not familiar with display sizes and aspect ratios....would 13.3" be the smallest screen you are suggesting?  Forgive me I'm a bit ignorant so I'd love your thoughts and opinion to educate me here....(I'm not being sarcastic).
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 31 of 33
    The more I look into this, the more I realize there has never been an Apple laptop weighing less than 2 lbs. The last MBA 11" was 2.38 lbs, the new MBA is 2.8 lbs and the MacBook 12" was 2.03 lbs. I'll bet my bottom dollar that the next MacBook will be ARM based, 11" or 12", and < 2.0 lbs / <1kg...what an international marketing statement that would be! It will be quite the engineering feat to add the new keyboard and keep it under 2 lbs, but there is nobody else up to a challenge other than The Great Apple! There is a huge market for these lightweight tools that help executives and managers do email and web efficiently and effectively. The flagship laptop will return!!
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 32 of 33
    uffenman said:
    The more I look into this, the more I realize there has never been an Apple laptop weighing less than 2 lbs. The last MBA 11" was 2.38 lbs, the new MBA is 2.8 lbs and the MacBook 12" was 2.03 lbs. I'll bet my bottom dollar that the next MacBook will be ARM based, 11" or 12", and < 2.0 lbs / <1kg...what an international marketing statement that would be! It will be quite the engineering feat to add the new keyboard and keep it under 2 lbs, but there is nobody else up to a challenge other than The Great Apple! There is a huge market for these lightweight tools that help executives and managers do email and web efficiently and effectively. The flagship laptop will return!!
    I think the MB12 demonstrated that the 2 lb weight wasn't enough of an advantage to overcome the 12" display being too small for most modern work and usage (office automation, lots of web browsing). 12" displays have been borderline successful, or borderline failures depending on POV, in the last 10 years or so. If they are going to do an ARM clamshell, hopefully it is a 13" display model that's 2 lb or lower.

The iPad Pro 12.9 is 1.5 lb. A keyboard, trackpad, and clamshell form factor hopefully only grows it to 2 lbs. I think a lot of people would be happy if it was 2.2, 2.4 lbs.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Thats interesting but I disagree. One pound is a big difference when you're carrying it around all the time like I am. I think they discontinued the MB12 more for the keyboard issues and not anything else. I still see a ton of them at cafes. 12" screen is plenty for me and others who need a real keyboard to do email and web. I would buy a MB12 with ARM in a heartbeat if it had the new keyboard.
    edited May 2020