Compared: Magic Keyboard versus Brydge Pro+ for iPad Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    razorpit said:
    MplsP said:

fallenjt said:
    These hinges to hold the iPad to the keyboard really is a deal breaker. I’ll spend $100 more for Magic Keyboard.
    Why? My wife has a Brydge keyboard that I got her for Christmas and loves it - the hinges work perfectly. 
    Is the lag as bad as shown in the video? I’m using an original Apple Bluetooth wireless keyboard and a Magic Mouse 2 and haven’t experienced the lag shown.
    It is absolutely that bad. It is video after all and not just my impression. The lag on the keyboard is not bad at all, but the mouse is. And Apple's trackpad and mice are far more responsive than this is. Additionally, Brydge is still relying on an accessibility feature not a true mouse which is what causes some of the delay.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 40
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 826member
    The iPad Pro is now primarily a laptop running macOS, with a detachable screen. Rather than primarily a tablet that can be used with a keyboard. Weird. 
  • Reply 23 of 40
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    sflagel said:
    The iPad Pro is now primarily a laptop running macOS, with a detachable screen. Rather than primarily a tablet that can be used with a keyboard. Weird. 
    Are you intentionally trying to be as wrong as possible?
    svanstromStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,578member
    The Magic Keyboard is here! The keys are very good. I mean, very good. The backlighting works very well too. Better than I expected. The auto settings are spot on, so far at least. The trackpad is also good, but short, so you have to be more careful when using it coming from a Macbook trackpad, much less a Magic Trackpad, which is much bigger, and what I was using with the Folio keyboard.

i also wish Apple could have figured out a way to get some sort of function key row. But the bottom of the iPad extends out, and we would be snaking our fingers beneath it to hit those keys. That’s what happens with this kind of design rather than the hinge at the bottom of the iPad, as in notebooks. I get it, because of the weight distribution. This puts much of the iPad weight over the flat keyboard portion, rather all behind it. On my knees, it balances better because of that. And unlike the Surface Pro, where I find that thin hinge to dig into my legs after a very short while, this design avoids that without adding too much weight to the keyboard as a balance. The problem with Microsoft’s design is that almost all of the Surface’s weight leans back onto that hinge, and almost nothing is supported by the keyboard. Is the Magic Keyboard perfect there? No, but not bad.

this is just from maybe 20 minutes of use. This is the first real typing I’ve done on it other than testing it.

i just tested the charging port on the keyboard. In my dining room I have an Anker charger. I have three of them. I have a 3 meter cable. This is a heavy duty, highly rated (expensive!) Anker cable. Normally, it just barely charges the iPad. Maybe 1% every 20 minutes when the iPad is in use. When I go to the living room, I have the same Model charger and a different Anker cable, and that charges rapidly. Changing that cable for the one in the dining room results in rapid charging as well, so it’s the cable. So, I plug the slow cable into the keyboard port, and I hear the “connected“ bong. The battery turns green, and then a second later turns black, and it says “not Charging”.
    edited April 2020 StrangeDaysthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,944member
    MplsP said:
    No comparison of weight? With the different build materials this would be very useful to know. 

According to Gruber’s review, MK viewing angle is listed as 90 to 130. He confirmed the 130 with a protractor. 

https://daringfireball.net/2020/04/the_ipad_magic_keyboard
    According to the Brydge web site, the 12.9" version weighs 690g.
    From Gruber's review that you cited, the Apple Magic Keyboard weighs 710g.
    Thanks, interesting (this would be a useful comparison metric in the table). I imagine most of the MK's weight is in the sturdy locking hinge. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 40
    sflagel said:
    No, it isn't. It is still primarily a touch-first platform, with optional keyboard & mouse/trackpad, not running macOS.
    jdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 40

melgross said:

i just tested the charging port on the keyboard. In my dining room I have an Anker charger. I have three of them. I have a 3 meter cable. This is a heavy duty, highly rated (expensive!) Anker cable. Normally, it just barely charges the iPad. Maybe 1% every 20 minutes when the iPad is in use. When I go to the living room, I have the same Model charger and a different Anker cable, and that charges rapidly. Changing that cable for the one in the dining room results in rapid charging as well, so it’s the cable. So, I plug the slow cable into the keyboard port, and I hear the “connected“ bong. The battery turns green, and then a second later turns black, and it says “not Charging”.
    FWIW, my Anker cables always eventually flake out, despite no outward signs of damage or abuse. They just stop working. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 40
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,966member
    razorpit said:
    MplsP said:

fallenjt said:
    These hinges to hold the iPad to the keyboard really is a deal breaker. I’ll spend $100 more for Magic Keyboard.
    Why? My wife has a Brydge keyboard that I got her for Christmas and loves it - the hinges work perfectly. 
    Is the lag as bad as shown in the video? I’m using an original Apple Bluetooth wireless keyboard and a Magic Mouse 2 and haven’t experienced the lag shown.
    She has a plain, non-trackpad keyboard; I was responding to the comment about the hinge. (which works fine, BTW! :wink: )

melgross said:
    The Magic Keyboard is here! The keys are very good. I mean, very good. The backlighting works very well too. Better than I expected. The auto settings are spot on, so far at least. The trackpad is also good, but short, so you have to be more careful when using it coming from a Macbook trackpad, much less a Magic Trackpad, which is much bigger, and what I was using with the Folio keyboard.

i also wish Apple could have figured out a way to get some sort of function key row. But the bottom of the iPad extends out, and we would be snaking our fingers beneath it to hit those keys. That’s what happens with this kind of design rather than the hinge at the bottom of the iPad, as in notebooks. I get it, because of the weight distribution. This puts much of the iPad weight over the flat keyboard portion, rather all behind it. On my knees, it balances better because of that. And unlike the Surface Pro, where I find that thin hinge to dig into my legs after a very short while, this design avoids that without adding too much weight to the keyboard as a balance. The problem with Microsoft’s design is that almost all of the Surface’s weight leans back onto that hinge, and almost nothing is supported by the keyboard. Is the Magic Keyboard perfect there? No, but not bad.

this is just from maybe 20 minutes of use. This is the first real typing I’ve done on it other than testing it.

Thanks for your initial impressions. I wish Apple would include a function key row as well - I find I use it quite often on my Logitech keyboard. That was another factor in my decision not to get the Apple Smart Folio back when I got mine.
  • Reply 29 of 40

melgross said:

FWIW, my Anker cables always eventually flake out, despite no outward signs of damage or abuse. They just stop working. 
    I think it’s the design. I bought two of them and the same thing happens. They work well as data cables.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 30 of 40
    One more thing that is annoying. The Folio keyboard bends backwards. So the keys are on the back side. It feels weird because you touch and press the keys as you hold the iPad as a tablet. But somehow, Apple figured out a way for it to know where it is. The Magic Keyboard doesn’t fold backwards, so you have to remove the iPad to use as a tablet, leaving the keyboard/case behind. Two ways that’s not best. First is that for those of us who always have the iPad in some sort of case, this leaves it without one, so no protection. Two, is that if you are somewhere, what happens to the Magic Keyboard?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 40
    razorpit said:
    sflagel said:
    Mistake: The iPad Pro is now primarily a laptop running iOS, with a detachable screen. Rather than primarily a tablet that can be used with a keyboard. Weird. 
  • Reply 32 of 40
    sflagel said:
    No, it isn't. It is still primarily a touch-first platform, with optional keyboard & mouse/trackpad, not running macOS.
    Sorry, of course it is a touch platform (iOS), but the MKB makes the transition cumbersome (you can no longer do what this guy does once you attach it): https://youtu.be/llZys3xg6sU

edited April 2020
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Where is my new 13" (14") MBP? Apple please get it out now!
  • Reply 34 of 40
    sflagel said:
    sflagel said:
    Sorry, of course it is a touch platform (iOS), but the MKB makes the transition cumbersome (you can no longer do what this guy does once you attach it): https://youtu.be/llZys3xg6sU

We’ve all seen the Ad, what’s the point? You can still do what he does, because he has a backpack and can carry the Magic Keyboard, the iPad, and even a regular case.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 40
    sflagel said:
    razorpit said:
    sflagel said:
    Mistake: The iPad Pro is now primarily a laptop running iOS, with a detachable screen. Rather than primarily a tablet that can be used with a keyboard. Weird. 
    That is the entire point of using this dock. When you want to use it as a touch-first tablet again, just remove it again. That’s why it has magnets for easy on & off. 

You understand that no one is going to force you to use the MK all the time, right?? I ordered the regular smart cover for my new iPP, which I intend to use most of the time. 
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 40
    sflagel said:
    razorpit said:
    sflagel said:
    That is the entire point of using this dock. When you want to use it as a touch-first tablet again, just remove it again. That’s why it has magnets for easy on & off. 

You understand that no one is going to force you to use the MK all the time, right?? I ordered the regular smart cover for my new iPP, which I intend to use most of the time. 
    Of course I can detach it, and put a regular cover on when I commute to the office. And I can put the MKB in my back pack during the trip, etc. (but I could do that with a regular MKB too). I am just finding that the iPad MKB takes away some magic from the iPad. For lack of a better word, it does not integrate fully with the iPad experience, it transforms the iPad into something different. The first keyboard for the iPad Pro did this, I think, best. It did not take anything away, it was fully additive, you could leave the two together the whole time, they were both part of the same iPad experience. I still have it and the keyboard is the permanent cover for the iPad (writing on it now). Folding the keyboard cover back and consuming a video on the sofa, using the pencil to write a shopping list and sending it to my son at the supermarket, then protecting the screen with the keyboard cover when I walk over to the coffee shop (when it opens again), and once there flipping over the keyboard to write some emails is really beautiful and seamless. For me, that was the beauty of the iPad Pro. And I sense that new MKB introduces a break between these use cases. Anyway, I am probably not the market, maybe the target market is people that want to have only one workstation and for that, I guess an iPad Pro plus the new MKB is a good choice, they can transform an iPadPro into a MacBook-like device for only a few hundred bucks and that maybe better and cheaper than having both an iPad and a Mac Book. And the original set up is still available with the iPadAir plus Smart Keyboard so what do I know, really? 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 37 of 40
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    melgross said:
    One more thing that is annoying. The Folio keyboard bends backwards. So the keys are on the back side. It feels weird because you touch and press the keys as you hold the iPad as a tablet. But somehow, Apple figured out a way for it to know where it is. The Magic Keyboard doesn’t fold backwards, so you have to remove the iPad to use as a tablet, leaving the keyboard/case behind. Two ways that’s not best. First is that for those of us who always have the iPad in some sort of case, this leaves it without one, so no protection. Two, is that if you are somewhere, what happens to the Magic Keyboard?
    If you are at a table or desk just close the Magic Keyboard and place the iPad Pro on it. It is very stable that way for use with the pencil. If you are standing or away from a flat surface I guess you leave the keyboard where you were using it or put it away in your bag. Doesn’t seem like a big problem to me. I rarely just carry my iPad around without a bag. 

As for protection, you are right but how much protection was the Smart Keyboard Folio when it was folded back anyway? With the screen exposed and the relatively weak magnets, I don’t think dropping it would be a good idea. Again, not that big of a difference for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 40
    sflagel said:
    sflagel said:
    razorpit said:
    sflagel said:

Of course I can detach it, and put a regular cover on when I commute to the office. And I can put the MKB in my back pack during the trip, etc. (but I could do that with a regular MKB too). I am just finding that the iPad MKB takes away some magic from the iPad. For lack of a better word, it does not integrate fully with the iPad experience, it transforms the iPad into something different. The first keyboard for the iPad Pro did this, I think, best. It did not take anything away, it was fully additive, you could leave the two together the whole time, they were both part of the same iPad experience. I still have it and the keyboard is the permanent cover for the iPad (writing on it now). Folding the keyboard cover back and consuming a video on the sofa, using the pencil to write a shopping list and sending it to my son at the supermarket, then protecting the screen with the keyboard cover when I walk over to the coffee shop (when it opens again), and once there flipping over the keyboard to write some emails is really beautiful and seamless. For me, that was the beauty of the iPad Pro. And I sense that new MKB introduces a break between these use cases. Anyway, I am probably not the market, maybe the target market is people that want to have only one workstation and for that, I guess an iPad Pro plus the new MKB is a good choice, they can transform an iPadPro into a MacBook-like device for only a few hundred bucks and that maybe better and cheaper than having both an iPad and a Mac Book. And the original set up is still available with the iPadAir plus Smart Keyboard so what do I know, really? 
    I think you guys have problems with coping with things that are new to you. You’re used to using the iPad they way you have, and anything that adds to the experience terrifies you. It’s really no big deal. If you can’t deal with it, don’t get it. Ther rest of us are enjoying ours.
    watto_cobrasflagel
  • Reply 39 of 40

jdb8167 said:
    melgross said:
    If you are at a table or desk just close the Magic Keyboard and place the iPad Pro on it. It is very stable that way for use with the pencil. If you are standing or away from a flat surface I guess you leave the keyboard where you were using it or put it away in your bag. Doesn’t seem like a big problem to me. I rarely just carry my iPad around without a bag. 

As for protection, you are right but how much protection was the Smart Keyboard Folio when it was folded back anyway? With the screen exposed and the relatively weak magnets, I don’t think dropping it would be a good idea. Again, not that big of a difference for me.
    I don’t get your point. I’m supposed to close the case with the iPod outside, and put it on it? I hate to tell you this, but it doesn’t work well that way. The angle isn’t steep enough to be useful. Apple’s concept of the folding back works much better. It holds it at just the right angle for typing on the screen, or when using the Pencil.

apple was pretty clear in its Ads, remove the iPad from the case and hold it while using it as a tablet. Wonderful, if you don't mind not having it in some sort of case to prevent it from slipping, as it is slippery. And then, you walk away from where the case is, even by a little bit, and you want to put it down. On what?

i find the Magic Keyboard to be great, normally. But not when I want to take the iPad somewhere. Then I put it into a case. I have a nice lightweight one with a flap to secure the Pencil.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Please sign this petition if you want a Magic Trackpad-like experience on the Brydge Pro+: http://chng.it/Nnx2zrRV
    edited May 2020