Apple Music arrives on compatible Samsung smart televisions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
If you've got one of Samsung's smart televisions compatible with the Apple TV app, you can now play Apple Music directly on the television, without relying on AirPlay.

Apple Music on a Samsung smart television
Apple Music on a Samsung smart television

Apple Music has arrived on the Samsung smart television lineup through an app delivered from the Smart TV App store. This will allow users to sign in to an existing account with their Apple ID, or begin the subscription process right from their TV.

"Our goal has always been to deliver the best entertainment experiences to consumers - and as people spend more time at home, we are more committed to that mission than ever," said Salek Brodsky, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships and Business Development for Samsung Electronics. "Last year, we were the first TV manufacturer to offer the Apple TV app, and today, we are the first to offer Apple Music. Our partnership with Apple has been instrumental in bringing consumers an unparalleled lineup of different entertainment options, especially as they seek out more content choices from their Smart TVs."

Samsung notes that all of the Apple Music headline features are available on the Smart TV implementation. It specifically calls out the Beats One stream and the "At Home with Apple Music" curated playlists.

Samsung Smart TV owners can try Apple Music free for 3 months with an individual, family, or student subscription. The smart TV app for Apple Music is available now.

The following Samsung TV models now have the Apple Music app: Samsung debuted AirPlay 2 and the Apple TV app on 2018 and 2019 Smart TV models in May 2019. It isn't clear if other manufacturers with AirPlay 2 compatibility, or access to the Apple TV app will follow suit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    It would be nice to have FaceTime on Android. We could bin Zoom and WhatsApp in that case.
    zroger73watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    knowitall said:
    It would be nice to have FaceTime on Android. We could bin Zoom and WhatsApp in that case.
    For a fee.

.99/ a month gets you Facetime and iMessage.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    knowitall said:
    I disagree. I am a multi-platform open source guy. While I believe that major platforms should allow a high degree of interoperability with others - which iOS does - they should reserve the right to reserve platform exclusives for the benefit of themselves and their customers. And as someone who likes, uses and defends Google products allow me to state that Apple's dominance with FaceTime and iMesssage are Google's own fault. Google had EXCELLENT messaging products for years and just needed to develop and promote them. Instead, they trashed them and any strategy they might have had in order to promote this failed attempt to create a social network to compete with Facebook (which is being abandoned by the very young people that overwhelmingly prefer iPhones and iPads and love Facetime and iMessage). I repeat: Google was in this space with great apps before the iPhone even came out (remember Google Chat and Google Talk?) and then when they launched Android they launched Google Voice and Google Messenger with them. All of them worked outstanding, Chat/Talk/Voice linked with Gmail had desktop and web versions too. All Google needed to do was promote those and add new features to it in order to have a comprehensive multi-platform messaging product and strategy built around those and their already existing integration with Chrome and Gmail. But they trashed it all in a failed attempt to compete with Facebook and haven't had a coherent strategy or common set of apps since. I was actually using Google Voice to make and receive calls from on my iPod Touch over Wi-Fi back in the day, including using it to dial into Webex for work. Worked great. To this day Google hasn't advertised how great Google Voice is, yet they wasted billions trying to prop up Google+ and Google Hangouts. Maybe it is for the best. Had Chat/Talk(which offered video!)/Voice/Messenger reached its potential, Google might have gotten "too big" bringing the DOJ hammer down on it. Apple, for all its prowess, has most of its services locked into its own hardware ecosystem which makes them impervious to anti-trust claims to everyone but haters of Apple and haters of American capitalism (even if Apple is the brand of choice among the Bernie-and-Elizabeth social democrat crowd but that is another story for another day).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5

@Gentooguy, all your points tend to be buried because of the lack of paragraphs or breaks in your posts. I have not been able to complete a single post of yours for the very same reason.

Paragraphs really make it a lot easier to read.

edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    gentooguy said:
    knowitall said:
    I disagree. I am a multi-platform open source guy. While I believe that major platforms should allow a high degree of interoperability with others - which iOS does - they should reserve the right to reserve platform exclusives for the benefit of themselves and their customers. And as someone who likes, uses and defends Google products allow me to state that Apple's dominance with FaceTime and iMesssage are Google's own fault. Google had EXCELLENT messaging products for years and just needed to develop and promote them. Instead, they trashed them and any strategy they might have had in order to promote this failed attempt to create a social network to compete with Facebook (which is being abandoned by the very young people that overwhelmingly prefer iPhones and iPads and love Facetime and iMessage). I repeat: Google was in this space with great apps before the iPhone even came out (remember Google Chat and Google Talk?) and then when they launched Android they launched Google Voice and Google Messenger with them. All of them worked outstanding, Chat/Talk/Voice linked with Gmail had desktop and web versions too. All Google needed to do was promote those and add new features to it in order to have a comprehensive multi-platform messaging product and strategy built around those and their already existing integration with Chrome and Gmail. But they trashed it all in a failed attempt to compete with Facebook and haven't had a coherent strategy or common set of apps since. I was actually using Google Voice to make and receive calls from on my iPod Touch over Wi-Fi back in the day, including using it to dial into Webex for work. Worked great. To this day Google hasn't advertised how great Google Voice is, yet they wasted billions trying to prop up Google+ and Google Hangouts. Maybe it is for the best. Had Chat/Talk(which offered video!)/Voice/Messenger reached its potential, Google might have gotten "too big" bringing the DOJ hammer down on it. Apple, for all its prowess, has most of its services locked into its own hardware ecosystem which makes them impervious to anti-trust claims to everyone but haters of Apple and haters of American capitalism (even if Apple is the brand of choice among the Bernie-and-Elizabeth social democrat crowd but that is another story for another day).
    First: it is WhatsApp that is dominating it all (at least outside the US). Second, Zoom has no real alternative except WhatsApp. Third, the software you mention is really awkward to use (like all Google software except maybe Google). So, it would be nice to have FaceTime on Android.
    watto_cobra