Compared: Magic Keyboard versus Smart Keyboard Folio

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2020
Apple now sells two choices for iPad Pro keyboards. AppleInsider compares the Smart Keyboard Folio to the new Magic Keyboard to see how they stack up and which one is worth it for the price.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch on the Magic Keyboard (left) and the Smart Keyboard Folio (right)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch on the Magic Keyboard (left) and the Smart Keyboard Folio (right)

As it stands, iPad Pro users have two official options when it comes to Apple-branded keyboard cases. Users could use any of Apple's Bluetooth keyboards, but the Magic Keyboard and the Smart Keyboard Folio are the only two available just for iPad.

Each of these supports the same models. There is both a Magic Keyboard as well as a Smart Keyboard Folio for both the 12.9-inch and 11-inch iPad Pros from 2018 and 2020.

On the surface, it appears the primary differentiator is the inclusion or lack of a trackpad. But actual differences go far beyond that with a huge array of functional, design, and cost differences.

Smart Keyboard Folio

Apple's Smart Keyboard has been around for several years now. Debuting with the original 2015 iPad Pro before being redesigned as the Smart Keyboard Folio in 2018 with the redesigned iPad Pros. The redesign wasn't well-received and for the past year and a half users have been exploring other options.

Typing on the Smart Keyboard Folio
Typing on the Smart Keyboard Folio

But the Smart Keyboard Folio isn't without its merits. Between the two, the Smart Keyboard Folio is far lighter than the Magic Keyboard, lending itself better to travel when you want to keep your weight down as much as possible.

Fabric keys of the Smart Keyboard Folio
Fabric keys of the Smart Keyboard Folio

The Smart Keyboard Folio also has the benefit of being almost entirely water-resistant. Apple makes these keyboards from a woven fabric that is stiffened around the keycaps. Because of this, no liquid is capable of getting into the keyboard itself, and the same goes for dust or other small debris.

There are two viewing angles on the Smart Keyboard Folio, a more vertical one for watch media and a more inclined angle for productivity. It connects via the Smart Connector and has minimal draw on your iPad's battery life.

Magic Keyboard

Apple's Magic Keyboard has much more going for it. It too uses the Smart Connector but has a full scissor-switch mechanism-based keyboard and a glass trackpad. This does eat up a bit more battery life, but not by all that much.

Magic Keyboard
Magic Keyboard

Using a scissor-switch mechanism for the keyboard is a big change. It isn't water-resistant like the Smart Keyboard Folio, but it is far more responsive for typing. The fabric keys have a "click" to them but it is very soft and can even become "stuck" even when they aren't being pressed.

Magic Keyboard is also backlit. It adjusts automatically based on the ambient lighting in the room but can be manually adjusted from settings.

Overall, the Magic Keyboard is far nicer and more reliable.

Magic Keyboard arrow keys versus Smart Keyboard Folio
Magic Keyboard arrow keys versus Smart Keyboard Folio

One small, but critical detail, is the arrow keys. On the Smart Keyboard Folio, Apple has a compact design to the arrow keys but are a bit harder to identify. Apple reverted back to the inverted "T" design with the 16-inch MacBook Pro and they changed it on the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro as well.

By choosing the Magic Keyboard, you are also adding a second USB-C port to your iPad Pro as well. This is great for charging the iPad and leaving the port on the side of the tablet free for other accessories.

While the Magic Keyboard is heftier, it is due to metal plates within the keyboard itself. This makes it much more rigid and easier to move about. If you pick up the Smart Keyboard Folio by just they keyboard, it bends and warps while the Magic Keyboard stays firm.

Trackpad support on the iPad Pro through the Magic Keyboard

Trackpads are newly supported within iPadOS as part of the 13.4 update. It makes a huge difference if dealing with editing text, spreadsheets, and even video work. You can always use an external Bluetooth mouse, but having it integrated right into the trackpad it is much more convenient.

Key features of the Smart Keyboard Folion versus the Magic Keyboard

Magic KeyboardSmart Keyboard Folio
ConnectivitySmart ConnectorSmart Connector
Key TypeScissor switch mechanismWoven fabric
Function KeysNoneNone
BacklitYesNo
Arrow KeysInverted "T" designBlock design
TrackpadYesN/A
Price$299 and $349$179 & $199

Should you buy the Smart Keyboard Folio or Magic Keyboard?

The decision between the two is mainly down to if you need the trackpad or if you want to spend the lofty price Apple asks for the Magic Keyboard. If you don't want to spend the money, the Smart Keyboard Folio is a great, durable keyboard that uses the Smart Connector and offers up some protection.

But if you want the best of the best, you will have to shell out for the Magic Keyboard. The keys are better, more durable, backlit, and the entire body is more stable. You are also buying an additional USB-C port to the iPad Pro and a fully articulated hinge -- not to mention the trackpad. But you will pay for the privilege.

Where to buy

The Magic Keyboard for Apple's new iPad Pro is available to purchase from Adorama, Amazon and B&H Photo. The 11-inch version costs $299, while the 12.9-inch version retails for $349.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    rapprrappr Posts: 1member
    The Smart Keyboard Folio was not well received?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Just got my Magic Keyboard, and it is awesome. Turns out it was money well spent.
    StrangeDaysGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I got my Magic Keyboard a few days ago and now have both; at first I thought after accepting the price tag the magic keyboard would fully replace the Folio. After four days, however, I incidentally noticed the biggest drawback, at least for me.

I had the iPad closed in the Magic Keyboard, and wanted to use it for reading handheld and without a keyboard. With the Folio, I open it, flip it over to the back of iPad Pro, but leave it attached; the move is completely natural to
    me.

Only when I tried to do this I did notice that Magic Keyboard doesn’t flip over! It simply doesn’t.

if you want to use iPad in handheld tablet mode with this, you have to detach it. Big time change for me. 

This means that Magic is more like a docking Station; Folio, ob the other hand, is the better travel cover, leaving iPad in the same physical setup, but still being able to use it in all possible modes....

This difference is much bigger for me than either weight or price or keyboard quality....
    mike1GG1firelockMisterKitforgot username
  • Reply 4 of 17
    peterhartpeterhart Posts: 157member
    In other news, and an FYI if you live in the US, if you order a screen protector from Paperlike as the video plugged in the beginning, you will receive this message as I just did: 

Thank you again for your Paperlike order. We have been informed, that the national post has stopped delivering to United States of America to fight the Covid-19 pandemic. Because of this, we have put your Paperlike order on hold, which we will send out as soon as the postal situation in United States of America has improved, and delivery to your country has resumed. We hope this measure is ok for you. If you prefer to cancel your order, then simply respond to this email and we'll do that for you. Please also have a look at our info page, if you want to know more about how this situation may impact your order: https://paperlike.com/pages/corona-updates
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    rappr said:
    The smart keyboard folio was pretty bad, especially for the price. I tried one in the store before I got my iPad Pro and my thought was "well, I suppose I could try to get used to it" No one would describe it as a joy to type on; It worked as a keyboard but there were many other options available that were both significantly better and significantly cheaper. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobraforgot username
  • Reply 6 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    florianvk said:
    I had the iPad closed in the Magic Keyboard, and wanted to use it for reading handheld and without a keyboard. With the Folio, I open it, flip it over to the back of iPad Pro, but leave it attached; the move is completely natural to
    me.

Only when I tried to do this I did notice that Magic Keyboard doesn’t flip over! It simply doesn’t.

if you want to use iPad in handheld tablet mode with this, you have to detach it. Big time change for me. 
    Dude, seriously? Detaching iPad from keyboard folio is an issue to you? That’s pathetic. Just accept to be an Apple sheep and call the day. Adding a $20 travel mouse to existing keyboard folio will do as well. 
  • Reply 7 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Just ordered my iPP 11", trading in 10.5" for $180. Will get the MK but later on.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    I don't get it.The iPad Pro is now primarily a (bad) laptop running macOS that may be used as a tablet by detaching the keyboard and laying it to the side (yeah, very convenient when commuting or travelling; or in any place besides the office, really), instead of being a great tablet that also works with a keyboard. This transition started with the smart keyboard folio. I don't get it. At all.

I still prefer the original keyboard on the original iPad Pro that worked as a cover, a keyboard, a stand, or to slightly prop up the iPad Pro when laying flat.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    rappr said:
    The longer I own mine (first generation), the worse it gets. The key labeling started rubbing off after the first three months (and I was stupid in not taking it straight to Apple; they then deleted my review on their store, and have since removed all product reviews of any kind). It also looks pretty bad when your skin oils start building up, and it’s almost impossible to clean. 

On top of the key appearance issues, there started being cases where commands would duplicate or continue being sent, even when my fingers aren’t on the keys any more. This isn’t limited to one key. If I do command-w to close a tab, it’ll close every single one, despite not having touched the keys down for longer than just once. In fact, I didn’t even know that such commands are even repeatable in the first place.

But then, that’s another part of what’s wrong here: the OS-level keyboard handling. I observe forgotten key presses that need repressing (modifier keys), and lots of missing UI Keyboard stuff that should be part of the basic OS APIs by default, but instead requires developers to specifically code for. This issue won’t differ from keyboard to keyboard, either, since it’s Apple’s OS’ failing.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 10 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    sflagel said:
    I don't get it.The iPad Pro is now primarily a (bad) laptop running macOS that may be used as a tablet by detaching the keyboard and laying it to the side (yeah, very convenient when commuting or travelling; or in any place besides the office, really), instead of being a great tablet that also works with a keyboard. This transition started with the smart keyboard folio. I don't get it. At all.
    Like we said on the other thread, this is wrong. iPad is and remains a touch-first tablet platform, now with keyboard and mouse/trackpad support. What part are you struggling with?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    MplsP said:
    rappr said:
    The smart keyboard folio was pretty bad, especially for the price. I tried one in the store before I got my iPad Pro and my thought was "well, I suppose I could try to get used to it" No one would describe it as a joy to type on; It worked as a keyboard but there were many other options available that were both significantly better and significantly cheaper. 
    Looks like the design is closer to the new Smart Cover for iPad, too. The Smart Cover I had for my iPad 2 was wonderful (it was made really well and functioned really well). The new Smart Cover for my 6th gen iPad is a piece of junk (at least by comparison). I use it, but it doesn't work all that well.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I have a Smart Keyboard for my iPad Pro 10.5".

It adds considerable weight to the iPad, but at least it's not heavier than the iPad itself, as is the case with the Magic Keyboard.

Unlike others, I don't have any issues with the keyboard. I'm a touch typist, and despite having large hands, I don't feel cramped on this keyboard. I don't miss the backlight at all (again, touch typist) and the keyboard feel is fine -- I also have a MacBook Pro 2018 and like the keyboard feel better than my old MacBook Pro 2013, even though I've had to replace the keyboard once already because of the known issues with butterfly keyboards.

It's expensive (then again, it's Apple we're talking about). But at least it's not obscenely expensive like the new Magic Keyboard.

The only issue I have with mine is the crap quality. I bought one in March 2018 and, by January 2019, it had failed. Apple replaced it for me under warranty, but the new one started failing again a few weeks ago. It doesn't get recognized by the I'm sorry, but if I knew this was a $180 annual subscription rather than a one-time payment, I'd certainly not have bought it, as useful as it is to my workflow. I would have looked to other manufacturers for options. Definitely not the quality you'd expect from Apple (at least from the old Apple -- it's more or less par for the course for the new Apple.)
  • Reply 13 of 17
    sflagel said:

I still prefer the original keyboard on the original iPad Pro that worked as a cover, a keyboard, a stand, or to slightly prop up the iPad Pro when laying flat.

I think you are a little misinformed. The iPad does not run macOS. It still is iPadOS and it still is a touch-based tablet that lets you use a keyboard if you want.

The difference now is that that the mouse is supported.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    I received my 11” Magic Keyboard today. I ordered it from Best Buy.

When I bought my iPad Pro 11” (2018 model) in December, I tried the Smart Keyboard. It was horrible, so I returned it the next day.
    In contrast, this new Magic Keyboard is excellent! The keys feel great while typing, and the trackpad works very well. I also love that it has its own charging port on the left side, which charges the iPad through the Smart Connector, allowing me to use a Samsung T5 external SSD directly through the iPad’s USB-C port. Another feature I really like is being able to remove the iPad from its magnetic stand effortlessly and use it as a tablet.

The Magic Keyboard is, in my opinion, $300 well spent, and worth every penny. Good job, Apple!
    edited April 2020 cgWerkswatto_cobraforgot username
  • Reply 15 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    florianvk said:
    I got my Magic Keyboard a few days ago and now have both; at first I thought after accepting the price tag the magic keyboard would fully replace the Folio. After four days, however, I incidentally noticed the biggest drawback, at least for me.

me.

This means that Magic is more like a docking Station; Folio, ob the other hand, is the better travel cover, leaving iPad in the same physical setup, but still being able to use it in all possible modes....

This difference is much bigger for me than either weight or price or keyboard quality....

That's a good point!
    But it touches on my main complaint with the original Folio:  The smart connector always seemed to me to be just a wired connection with a very short wire.   I never understood why Apple didn't just go with a bluetooth keyboard.

But, the new Magic Keyboard, as you say, is more like a docking station -- which I have always liked:   they offer advantages available no other way.  They can offer additional ports (hopefully future Magic Keyboards might provide a Thunderbolt port!) and plus they enable the user to avoid the hassle of plugging and unplugging stuff if they want to take the computer home with them.

I can see future iPad Pros connected to external monitors, drives, etc...  Then when the user wants to go home or play a game, pop it out and start using it as a tablet again.
    jt327gir
  • Reply 16 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I am so glad to see Apple getting away from the crappy keyboards they had been using in both the iPad lines and the MacBook lines -- keyboards with no feel or travel and mostly suitable to hunt & peck typists.

Good job Apple!  That's the mark of any great organization:   it's not about never making a mistake, but rather recognizing when you do and correcting it.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 17 of 17
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    sflagel said:
    Like we said on the other thread, this is wrong. iPad is and remains a touch-first tablet platform, now with keyboard and mouse/trackpad support. What part are you struggling with?
    In other threads many people also said that hybrid / 2-in-1 devices were a bad idea too.  So I suppose that the iPad, a touch-first device with touch optimized apps, working as a touchscreen laptop with the Magic Keyboard should be a bad idea too, right?
    edited April 2020