Touch ID comeback for 'iPhone 12' rumors resurface

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2020
This fall's "iPhone 12" refresh could see the return of Touch ID in some higher-end models, a report claims, with Apple supply chain partners BOE and Qualcomm allegedly collaborating on an ultrasonic fingerprint reader built into the display.

The introduction of the larger displays of the iPhone X and subsequent iPhone models forced Apple into creating and using Face ID as an alternative to Touch ID, to eliminate the home button from the iPhone's design. In a report published on Monday, Touch ID could be making a comeback in late 2020 for some "iPhone 12" models.

Touch panel display partner GIS and assembly partner Qualcomm are allegedly working together with OLED display firm BOE on incorporating ultrasonic fingerprint recognition technology into its displays, according to the Economic Daily News. A GIS touch panel factory as part the Hon Hai group will apparently be used for production of the components.

GIS and Qualcomm provided the modules used by Samsung in its Galaxy S20 series of smartphones. It is suggested if Apple is looking to add similar functionality to its iPhone lineup, the two companies will be tapped for the technology, with OLED panel producer BOE allegedly preparing to incorporate the components in its displays.

The report is a continuation of earlier rumors that Apple wants some form of Touch ID revival in its device lineup, in the form of an in-screen reader. Apple has multiple patents on the topic, including the use of acoustic imaging and a system of pinholes for an optical-based solution.

While the report seems plausible due to GIS and Qualcomm's previous relationship with Apple, the stumbling block is BOE. The Chinese display producer is thought to be trying to secure a place on Apple's iPhone supply chain, including readying Apple-only OLED lines in anticipation of orders, but so far there has yet to be any confirmation of BOE's involvement in the "iPhone 12" range.

In March, it was rumored BOE was collaborating with GIS on OLED panels for use on a 5.4-inch model, though it was unclear if a contract has been signed by Apple for its production.

At present, Samsung and LG Display supplies iPhone screens to Apple, though it remains to be seen if Apple needs more production capacity on top of what those two suppliers can already provide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    I think the current pandemic shows the value of having both. Touch ID for when you are using a mask and Face ID when you are using gloves. As for when you are using both, maybe retina ID?
    llamaviclauyycrezwitsSpamSandwichcgWerks
  • Reply 2 of 43
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    j2fusion said:
    I think the current pandemic shows the value of having both. Touch ID for when you are using a mask and Face ID when you are using gloves. As for when you are using both, maybe retina ID?
    Great point!   It must be a lot of extra shifting around for some people with Face ID or maybe they even shut off.  Having an 8 plus did not even think of this until your post.   If\when a new iPhone has Touch ID under screen that could be my next iPhone even if it has a notch I could put up with it I guess.  I find Touch ID just so simple to use and it works so reliably,  pretty much all the time.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    It is nice for users to have options so I hope they get this option for the iPhone 12.

• Reply 4 of 43
    As someone who does manual work, my hands are cut and dirty during normal work days so Face ID was a godsend. That being said, Touch ID under the screen would be beneficial for most. If you wanted to be even more secure maybe Apple could enable both at the same time on a device to double down the security even more.
    razorpitqwerty52viclauyyclolliver
  • Reply 5 of 43
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Oh Baby! You are going to be back. I mean Touch ID. Please, no disrespect to Face ID.

• Reply 6 of 43
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    With Touch ID on my 10.5" iPad Pro and Face ID on my iPhone XS, both in use many times a day, I've found Face ID to be quicker and more reliable. I wouldn't want to go back.

I have not tried this yet, but you can set up a secondary Face ID profile. Wonder if it would work for a mask?
    SnickersMagoomike1
  • Reply 7 of 43
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    wattouk said:
    As someone who does manual work, my hands are cut and dirty during normal work days so Face ID was a godsend. That being said, Touch ID under the screen would be beneficial for most. If you wanted to be even more secure maybe Apple could enable both at the same time on a device to double down the security even more.
    That and even trying to cook. I have an older iPad Pro with TouchUD. That is the only thing I don’t like about it. In real world examples, FaceID is so much better.

With that said underscreen TouchID could be useful as long as it doesn’t increase price, device size, or create any other compromises,
    edited April 2020 lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 43
    I'd also like maybe something in the secure devices unlocking as an option maybe as well. 
  • Reply 9 of 43
    razorpit said:
    wattouk said:
    That and even trying to cook. I have an older iPad Pro with TouchUD. That is the only thing I don’t like about it. In real world examples, FaceID is so much better.
    Good point, that didn't even cross my mind. Face ID is very useful especially during winter when people wear gloves too. I was sceptical when I first saw it but as with most Apple ideas - it just works flawlessly. Touch ID built into the display does have the advantage of making the iPhone a full screen device though as it would probably end up doing away with Face ID, unfortunately.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Speech recognition will be the level security!
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Touch ID is perfect for all those who have to wear face masks. That might be the new normal for a lot of us.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    rwx9901rwx9901 Posts: 100member
    Bring back 3D touch and we'll talk.  I won't upgrade until that comes back or my phone breaks whichever comes first.
    svanstrom
  • Reply 13 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    neilm said:
    With Touch ID on my 10.5" iPad Pro and Face ID on my iPhone XS, both in use many times a day, I've found Face ID to be quicker and more reliable. I wouldn't want to go back.

I have not tried this yet, but you can set up a secondary Face ID profile. Wonder if it would work for a mask?
    Not going back but having both. Face ID for Apple Pay sucks when the POS is far away. I wish I had both for the cafe at work.
    lolliver
  • Reply 14 of 43
    neilm said:

Yep. 

From Apple:

To set up an additional appearance for Face ID to recognize, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Set Up an Alternate Appearance, then follow the onscreen instructions.
    lolliver
  • Reply 15 of 43
    my opinion, in general, FaceID >Touch ID for IPAD.  Touch ID > FaceID for IPhone
    baconstang
  • Reply 16 of 43
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    rwx9901 said:
    Bring back 3D touch and we'll talk.  I won't upgrade until that comes back or my phone breaks whichever comes first.
    You’ll be waiting until your phone breaks. 
    Panamaniakmuthuk_vanalingambaconstangtokyojimufastasleeplolliver
  • Reply 17 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    I don't think a FaceID profile would work for a mask. During the COVID-19 outbreak Huawei said it had looked into the possibility but later said there were not enough reference points left on the face to obtain a secure identification.

https://amp.abacusnews.com/tech/facial-recognition-fails-china-people-wear-masks-avoid-coronavirus/article/3048006
    edited April 2020 muthuk_vanalingamgatorguy
  • Reply 18 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ajbecker8 said:
    my opinion, in general, FaceID >Touch ID for IPAD.  Touch ID > FaceID for IPhone
    Interesting.

I prefer Face Id for waking up a device, but Touch Id for any further proactive authentication, including Apple Pay.  It'd  be nice to have both and some flexibility in how they're used.
    lolliver
  • Reply 19 of 43
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    Makes perfect sense on a number of levels. 

FaceID is a poor solution for parts of the world where face coverings are popular. 

TouchID works well for these markets, but also for scenarios where touch is simply easier than face; when the device is laying flat on a surface, for example.  

The iPhone SE release proves Apple knows there’s still a significant market for touch. It’s not all about cost: by this stage, FaceID sensory array component costs are cheap for Apple. 

By incorporating both touch and face into a single product, Apple creates an upgrade path for users who either need or want touch. This will finally allow Apple to move on from the old style home button design and completely onto the ‘X’ design for iPhone. 
    rotateleftbytelolliver
  • Reply 20 of 43
    I can’t think of a single time when Apple sources a security technology that was already being used in another vendors phone. So seriously have my doubts about this one. 
    I could see apple designing their own version of under the screen finger print reader, that will have to be magnitudes better than anything anyone else has, otherwise they’ll just stick with Faceid. 
    I do think the rumor on the smaller notch may have some validity. 
    headfull0winelolliver