Apple releases new 2D15 firmware update for AirPods Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    I own both Airpods pro and powerbeats pro..!! Both of them on their third replacement now. Airpods pro i keep getting this screeching sound only on the right bud no matter what mode its on. I feel really annoyed after paying so much, they have this silly issue..! Can anyone confirm if they had similar issue and updated to this firmware and got it solved ?
    Even the powerbeats pro were perfect on the first set. But due to some damage i replaced it and now they seem to keep behaving crazy. When i put them both in the case, only one side is charging and the other nothing.. i checked them hundreds of times if they were placed properly, yet the same issue again..!! Damn, apple is really killing me on this.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    JRSTechJRSTech Posts: 1member
    Just wanting to give you all a heads up that the new update 2D15 for AirPods Pro. Is causing ANC to be even worse than before. I just updated & now I’ve got Zero ANC. So now My AirPods Pro sound very cheap & tinny. With no bass & ANC. It’s just awful. 
  • Reply 23 of 42
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    JRSTech said:
    Just wanting to give you all a heads up that the new update 2D15 for AirPods Pro. Is causing ANC to be even worse than before. I just updated & now I’ve got Zero ANC. So now My AirPods Pro sound very cheap & tinny. With no bass & ANC. It’s just awful. 
    Weird. I’ve finally gotten the update and the ANC is working fine. I tried the ANC with normal background noise and it is as good or better than before. It still isn’t very good for transient things like voices but it never was.

I just played the soundtrack from “Into the Spider-verse” and the bass was very good. Something might be wrong with your AirPods Pro. It sucks that you can’t take a problem too a store right now but you might want to contact Apple by phone and try to get a replacement pair.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 42
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    elijahg said:
    Gaby said:
    F_Kent_D said:
    I had issues with the 2C54 update. Transparency Mic issues and sound quality issues when transparency and ANC were off, in the natural state. Transparency and ANC both produced very good bass response but as soon as I turn either off they immediately went to a very ‘tinny’ sound that was almost unbearable. The transparency Mic issues even caused the right earbud to become damaged to the point where certain sound frequencies would cause a horrible screeching feedback that hurt my ear. That was actually the 4th set of AirPod Pro’s I had to return to Apple due to quality control/sound quality issues. Seems odd as that was the one I used less while only using one as a Bluetooth earbud at work. I’m really hoping this update fixes these issues. Otherwise these are the most convenient earbuds I’ve found to work with all my Apple products, (I have a lot!!) I’ve tried so many others I can’t count and couldn’t begin to list them all. Thanks for the report.
    I had very similar issues, and am now on my fourth pair, which, Thank God came with 2B588. I've personally found this to be the most accurate and effective so far. It's why I am going to wait at least a week or so to see what others make of the latest update. For those who wish to know how to prevent automatic updating of their current version, it's pretty simple and there are two ways. Either be sure to disconnect from your device(s) before plugging AirPods in to charge, or to save doing that, always charge the case separately when you happen to be using the AirPods, that way when it comes to placing them back in the case it will be fully charged. Just be sure to remove the case from charge prior to popping them away. - They will never update unless both in the case and on charge concurrently.

Hopefully someone from RTINGS.com will be kind and do yet another test so we know definitively what impact the latest update has on sound and ANC quality. 

@Laytech To find your current firmware and AirPods details, remove from case and make sure they're connected the device you have to hand, then go to settings, General, About and then scroll down to (Name of AirPods) and click on it. You will find all info listed. Hope this helps.
    Neither the case or the iPhone need to be charging for the Airpods to update. Mine updated when the Airpods were in their case and the phone nearby, but neither charging.
    Really? I'm almost certain that that was a requirement originally. I seem to remember having a conversation with apple about it also... A quick search also brings back the same.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    fred1 said:
    Looks like it could be good, but I think I’ll wait a few days before I upgrade. Just sayin’. . .
    AirPod updates are automatic.
    Not according to the article and to my experience: 
    ” The new firmware should be automatically installed as long as they remain connected to an iOS device, and in the charging case.”
  • Reply 26 of 42
    2D15 solved my left iPod Pro no feed problem!
  • Reply 27 of 42
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    rikipedia said:
    Here's the part that makes this article completely worthless and it's found in the first sentence: 
    It isn't clear what changes or features are included in the firmware update...
    People clearly have different experiences with different firmwares, so might want to know if something might have changed with the firmware or if they are just imagining things; or simply get a chance to in the comments share their experiences to see if there's a fix, or maybe even find out that their AirPods are broken. And so on.

Seems pretty far from "worthless" to me.

So stop ******** just because the world isn't tailor-made to your exact specifications. And have a good day.  o:)
    elijahgbraytonak
  • Reply 28 of 42
    SyedAmeen said:
    I own both Airpods pro and powerbeats pro..!! Both of them on their third replacement now. Airpods pro i keep getting this screeching sound only on the right bud no matter what mode its on.
    I had to recently return a left side AirPod Pro for a feedback sound issue. I assumed that something had gone wrong with the microphone hardware. I have no idea if it had any relationship to the firmware, but it did happen with the 2C54 version that is now being replaced.
    SyedAmeen
  • Reply 29 of 42
    SyedAmeenSyedAmeen Posts: 2member
    SyedAmeen said:
    I own both Airpods pro and powerbeats pro..!! Both of them on their third replacement now. Airpods pro i keep getting this screeching sound only on the right bud no matter what mode its on.
    I had to recently return a left side AirPod Pro for a feedback sound issue. I assumed that something had gone wrong with the microphone hardware. I have no idea if it had any relationship to the firmware, but it did happen with the 2C54 version that is now being replaced.

I updated to this firmware but that god awful sound still is there.. it sounds like it can’t handle the bass or full volume..! Terrible.. I guess i have to get it replaced again

• Reply 30 of 42
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    SyedAmeen said:
    SyedAmeen said:

I updated to this firmware but that god awful sound still is there.. it sounds like it can’t handle the bass or full volume..! Terrible.. I guess i have to get it replaced again

Full volume? You need your ears tested.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    JRSTech said:
    Apple is out with some support notes for this and other issues, in this case make sure you clean the screen on the top of the AirPods

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211157

• Reply 32 of 42
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    AirPod updates are automatic.
    Not according to the article and to my experience: 
    ” The new firmware should be automatically installed as long as they remain connected to an iOS device, and in the charging case.”

You were right after all. The update installed itself, even though I didn’t have the AirPods charging at all.  The good news is that both noise cancellation and sound quality seem better. 
  • Reply 33 of 42
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    I've been using this since yesterday.  So far, pairing out of the case seems to be more reliable although I'll need to have some more time with it.

One thing I have noticed is that when you switch over the Transparency mode, before there would be a "whoosh" that lasted for a few seconds.  Now that's under control.  Bass and noise reduction modes seem to work ok too.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    semi_guysemi_guy Posts: 64member
    Got update automatically. So far not big issues. the noise cancellation seems good, but not been in a high noise environment.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    sevenfeet said:
    I've been using this since yesterday.  So far, pairing out of the case seems to be more reliable although I'll need to have some more time with it.

One thing I have noticed is that when you switch over the Transparency mode, before there would be a "whoosh" that lasted for a few seconds.  Now that's under control.  Bass and noise reduction modes seem to work ok too.
    I just got the update (from 2B588). Nothing broken for me. Transparency seems to let in a spot more background noise. ANC is at least as good as it was before. Need more listening time, though.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    super8seansuper8sean Posts: 84member
    Let me be the first to confirm that this firmware update makes the AirPods BADASS!!!

The noise cancellation is now next level. Totally blocks out outside noise. It’s insane. 
    Also the pressure that came with the noise cancellation seems to be gone. 
    Also music seems to sound better. 
    Amazing!!!!
  • Reply 37 of 42
    rottnmuttrottnmutt Posts: 6member
    Let me be the first to confirm that this firmware update makes the AirPods BADASS!!!

The noise cancellation is now next level. Totally blocks out outside noise. It’s insane. 
    Amazing!!!!
    It cures COVID-19 too.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    elijahg said:
    laytech said:
    I can't seem to find the firmware version. Looking in Bluetooth settings I can't see it? Any help with find the firmware version please? 
    You need to have the Airpods in your ears or in the case and open to see it. If the screen comes up showing the you the charge level, dismiss it and go to Settings > General > About. Not Bluetooth settings.
    Thanks
  • Reply 39 of 42
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    I chatted with Apple and they said to listen to audio or a song for 30 seconds with your AirPods Pro via your iOS device, iPad or iPhone then put  AirPods Pro back in their case and plug case into charger for 30 minutes and the firmware should be updated.

For me, I had AirPods Pro charging from my Mac and paired with my iPhone. I listened to a song for 30 seconds put them back in their case and left it. After 30 minutes or so, AirPods Pro was at  to 2D15 and the case was showing v 0.73.

Hope this helps.

edited May 2020
  • Reply 40 of 42
    jccjcc Posts: 326member

Amazing!!!!
    They are indeed better. The ANC no longer puts pressure on the ear drums. Also sounds more natural.