Microsoft debuts Surface Go 2, Surface Book 3

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2020
Just two days after Apple refreshed the 13-inch MacBook Pro, Microsoft has unveiled the new Surface Go 2 and Surface Book 3.

Microsoft debuts Surface Go 2, Surface Book 3

Microsoft's Surface Book 3

The Surface Book 3 is Microsoft's hybrid 2-in-one laptop that can be used as a tablet or expanded into a full-feature laptop. Surface buyers can select between an entry-level 13-inch or an upgraded 15-inch model, each with somewhat different configuration capabilities. Microsoft claims that the Surface Book 3 features 50% more performance in the 15-inch model than the Surface Book 2.

At base, the 13-inch model boasts a 10-point multi-touch PixelSense display with a resolution of 3000 by 2000 pixels -- working out to a pixel density of 267 pixels per inch. It comes with a Quad-core 10th gen Intel Core i5 processor -- upgradeable to an i7 for an additional fee.

The i5 model features Intel Iris Plus graphics, while the i7 models feature NVIDIA GeForce 1650 graphics. Memory starts at 8 gigabytes and is upgradable to 32 gigabytes during the customization process. Storage configurations include 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB PCIe solid-state drives.

Surface Book 3
Surface Book 3

The 15-inch model has a 10-point multi-touch PixelSense display with a resolution of 3240 by 2160 pixels -- working out to a pixel density of 260 pixels per inch. This model features a Quad-core 10th Gen Intel Core i7 Processor, and buyers can choose between NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 graphics or NVIDIA Quadra RTX 3000 graphics. Memory can be configured to either 16GB or 32GB, and storage configurations include 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, or 2TB PCIe solid-state drives.

Both models include two 3.1 USB-A ports, 1 USB-C port, a 3.5mm headphone jack, two Surface Connect ports, a full-sized SDXC card reader, and are compatible with the Surface Dial.

Both models also include a front-facing Windows Hello face authentication camera, a 5-megapixel front-facing camera with 1080p HD video, and an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera capable of 1080p HD video.

The 13-inch model starts at $1,599, while the 15-inch model starts $2,299. Both models ship with Windows 10 Home edition.

Surface Go 2

Surface Go 2
Surface Go 2

The Surface Go line is Microsoft's low-cost competitor to Apple's entry-level iPads.

The Surface Go 2 features a 10.5-inch Gorilla Glass 3 PixelSense display with 10-point multi-touch and a resolution of 1920 pixels by 1280 pixels - working out to 220 pixels per inch.

The processor is an Intel Pentium Gold Processor at base but can be upgraded to an 8th Gen Intel Core m3 Processor for an additional cost. Buyers can choose between 4GB or 8GB memory options, and have the option to choose between 64GB or 128GB of storage.

Also included is a front-facing Windows Hello face authentication camera, a 5-megapixel front-facing camera with 1080p HD video, and an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera capable of 1080p HD video.

The Surface Go 2 has one USB-C port, one Surface Connect port, a Surface Type Cover Port, a MicroSDXC card reader, and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

The Surface Go 2 starts at $399 for the base model and will be available on May 12.

Surface Buds

After teasing the release in 2019, Microsoft is also going to ship the AirPods-competing Surface Buds in parallel with the Surface Go 2 and Surface Book 3. While the company originally said that they would be priced at $250, they will sell for $200.

AppleInsider will be comparing how the units stack up to Apple's product lineup in the weeks to come.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Surface go comes with 64gb of emmc storage. With full windows 10,that won’t be enough.
    mrakoplaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    dyonoctisdyonoctis Posts: 49member
    The first gen 15" surface book was pitted against the macbook pro 15, but with the 3 it's a really niche product. Instead of going with AMD Renoir (6/8 cores at 15w) and sticking with Intel, it's maxing out at 4 cores ! The 16 macbook pro got far more cpu power, it's only losing on gpu speed...it's not very balanced, it's going to get shredded by the mac in every single cpu bound task. The only fair comparison would be with the 13" surface book3 against the 13 " macbook pro. Meanwhile the surface go is still going to suffer from x86 lack of efficiency.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 253member
    Is this a joke?  Not even close CPU on the 15’ to a MacBook Pro.  Laughable...
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,922member
    Ugh Microsoft Surface....one of the biggest overpriced pieces of shit ever made! Our Surface Books at work constantly fail with overheating issues, random bluescreens, charging issues, HD failures, etc. And, the docking stations constantly fail. They have HORRIBLE tech support and take forever to get things fixed/replaced. 
    Fred257olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Used one once and was bitterly disappointed with the experience. iPad is really the only way to go.
    Fred257StrangeDaysolsjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 253member
    Is this a joke?  Not even close CPU on the 16’ to a MacBook Pro.  Laughable...
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    KITAKITA Posts: 409member
    The base model Surface Go 2 sounds terrible. Pentium Gold, 4 GB RAM and 64 GB eMMC storage just aren't appealing. At least the core m3 version comes with 8 GB of RAM and a proper NVMe SSD, of course it should be lower in price.

The Surface Book 3 with ice Lake is definitely disappointing, a Ryzen 4800U would have been a great choice here. The graphics options are quite good though, especially the Quadro option in the 15 inch. Price remains high, if you don't need the tablet function, it's not worth it over other workstation laptops.

Microsoft has been spotted with Tiger Lake and Renoir test hardware, although it's likely those are for the Surface Pro and Surface Laptop 13 / 15 coming later this year.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 17
    dyonoctisdyonoctis Posts: 49member
    KITA said:
    The base model Surface Go 2 sounds terrible. Pentium Gold, 4 GB RAM and 64 GB eMMC storage just aren't appealing. At least the core m3 version comes with 8 GB of RAM and a proper NVMe SSD, of course it should be lower in price.

The Surface Book 3 with ice Lake is definitely disappointing, a Ryzen 4800U would have been a great choice here. The graphics options are quite good though, especially the Quadro option in the 15 inch. Price remains high, if you don't need the tablet function, it's not worth it over other workstation laptops.

Microsoft has been spotted with Tiger Lake and Renoir test hardware, although it's likely those are for the Surface Pro and Surface Laptop 13 / 15 coming later this year.
    if the surface laptop 4 comes with renoir, then the surface book 3 will slower by a significant margin in cpu task... overall it's going to be a more balanced machine. 

The Xbox team seems to be the only guys at microsoft who understand hardware, and have any real ambition. (even when they fail, they are going out of their way to fix things). if they were really ambitious, Microsoft could have asked AMD to make them a compelling custom apu for their "flagship" laptop, instead of using that underwhelming cpu from Intel. The marketing talk is selling the surface book 3 as a desktop replacement with isn't true at all seeing how 6/8/10/12 cores is now mainstream. 4 cores is so 2016.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    dyonoctis said:
    KITA said:

if the surface laptop 4 comes with renoir, then the surface book 3 will slower by a significant margin in cpu task... overall it's going to be a more balanced machine. 

The Xbox team seems to be the only guys at microsoft who understand hardware, and have any real ambition. (even when they fail, they are going out of their way to fix things). if they were really ambitious, Microsoft could have asked AMD to make them a compelling custom apu for their "flagship" laptop, instead of using that underwhelming cpu from Intel. The marketing talk is selling the surface book 3 as a desktop replacement with isn't true at all seeing how 6/8/10/12 cores is now mainstream. 4 cores is so 2016.
    Given the specs, both looked like they could have easily launched last October and were delayed for some reason (heck, the Surface Go 2 could have launched in 2018).

I was glad to see them embracing AMD on their Surface Laptop 3 15" and if I recall, they did work with the Xbox team for their their "custom" Ryzen 3000 chips, but they just weren't very good compared to Ice Lake.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    thanx_althanx_al Posts: 70member
    I was force fed one of these by my employer a couple of gens ago as a "free trial" when MS was trying to eat even more into our workplace. I found it incredibly slow and neither suited to be a tablet or a laptop. It went straight back after the trial period ended. At least with iPad Pro, it excels at being a tablet, regardless of whether or not you want it to be a laptop. Some people are able to get it to be both and that's fine, but at least iPad Pro excels in at least one dimension.

Does this update change anything for the Surface as a hybrid tablet/laptop device?

I don't even know if I care anymore since the Magic Keyboard has begun to change my opinion about iPad Pro being a laptop replacement (I was a solid "no and it doesn't matter because its such a great tablet" to "hey this might make it a laptop replacement for me". 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,310member
    The new iPad Pro with the new magic keyboard are exceptional alternatives to the MacBook Pro line. I own both and couldn’t be happier. 
    Microsoft still has a lot to learn from Apple. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    thanx_al said:
    I was force fed one of these by my employer a couple of gens ago as a "free trial" when MS was trying to eat even more into our workplace. I found it incredibly slow and neither suited to be a tablet or a laptop. It went straight back after the trial period ended. At least with iPad Pro, it excels at being a tablet, regardless of whether or not you want it to be a laptop. Some people are able to get it to be both and that's fine, but at least iPad Pro excels in at least one dimension.

Does this update change anything for the Surface as a hybrid tablet/laptop device?

I don't even know if I care anymore since the Magic Keyboard has begun to change my opinion about iPad Pro being a laptop replacement (I was a solid "no and it doesn't matter because its such a great tablet" to "hey this might make it a laptop replacement for me". 
    One of these? Which one? The Surface 1, 2, 3? Surface Go? Surface Pro 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7? Surface Pro X? Surface Book 13" 1, 2? Surface Book 15" 2? Surface Laptop 13" 1, 2, 3? Surface Laptop 15" 3? That's very vague. 

The only new hardware today was the Surface Go 2 (budget and light use tablet with x86 processor) and the Surface Book 3 (performance laptop with detachable tablet display).

A new Surface Pro (continuing from the original) has not been launched today. That will only come later this year.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    KITA said:
    The only new hardware today was the Surface Go 2 (budget and light use tablet with x86 processor) and the Surface Book 3 (performance laptop with detachable tablet display).
    A "performance laptop" that ships with Windows Home 10, for $2,300

The price is clearly meant to influence perception as an aspirational device, but a joke is still a joke.
    tobianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 537member
    KITA said:
    A "performance laptop" that ships with Windows Home 10, for $2,300

The price is clearly meant to influence perception as an aspirational device, but a joke is still a joke.
    In which ways does Windows 10 PRO give a laptop higher performance than HOME?  It adds features, but performance?  
  • Reply 15 of 17
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,279member
    I wonder why the Surface Pro was not updated. Does it have a regular annual update cycle like the iPhone? It's up to version 7 or something right now, I think.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 682member
    That Book 3 is a really nice portable VR development machine.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I wonder why the Surface Pro was not updated. Does it have a regular annual update cycle like the iPhone? It's up to version 7 or something right now, I think.
    Yes, they typically have an annual update cycle. The Surface Pro 7 came out in H2 2019 with 15 W Intel Ice Lake chips.

The next Surface Pro should launch later this year with Intel Tiger Lake (using Intel's new Xe graphics) or potentially AMD Renoir. It's also expected to be redesigned this year (potentially to look closer to the Surface Pro X).