NBC's Peacock will be available on Apple devices at launch

Posted:
in General Discussion
NBC's new television and movie streaming service Peacock will be available on the iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Apple TV starting July 15.

peacock

Peacock is scheduled to launch nationwide on July 15. NBC has announced that the service will be fully integrated with the Apple TV app, allowing customers to tune in on their iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Apple TV 4K, and Apple TV HD. Users will be able to use Siri to easily search for Peacock content as well.

Customers will also be able to sign up for Peacock Free or upgrade to Peacock premium directly within the Peacock iOS App, or on Apple TV using an in-app purchase.

The ad-supported Peacock Premium will sell for $4.99 a month, while an ad-free version will be available for $9.99. Comcast and Cox subscribers can opt into the ad-free model for $5 a month. A free tier with limited content will also be made available.

"Our priority is to bring Peacock's unrivaled collection of content to people across major distributors and device platforms," said Matt Bond, Chairman, Content Distribution, NBCUniversal. "We look forward to bringing Peacock to Apple customers when we launch around the U.S. in July, capitalizing on Apple's incredible reach and connecting with millions of viewers across their devices."

At launch, some 15,000 hours of movies and shows will be available for streaming, including popular programs like "Parks and Recreation," "Law & Order: SVU," "Two and a Half Men" and early access to content from NBC's late-night shows. Movies are also on tap, with the service boasting selections from the media giant's extensive back catalog. NBC also says that live sports will also be made available on the service, which may pay the way for additional live streaming content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    zompzomp Posts: 63member
    Sorry, NBC. Ads should pay for free tv much like Tubi, crackle, and pluto along with a host of others. I will not be buying into your product.
    StrangeDaysnetmagejbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    More reasons to buy Apple TV, devices.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Just what we need another streaming service. Different provider same crap.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 10
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    The CBS equivalent on Apple TV has no ads and I'm starting to like it. And it costs less than NBC's offering. However the selection of programming here in Canada on the CBS channel seems to be about 50% what is available for US customers. I wish Apple or the streamer would clarify which programs were available in which country. The NBC offering probably also has a restricted set of choices outside the US. It's a shame that I have to purchase the service to find out which shows are available here. Even if I lived in the US, I wouldn't know which seasons were available until I subscribed. Some shows go back to the beginning but some only go back a limited number of seasons. None of this is documented anywhere.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 100member
    No Apple TV Channel?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    Paying a subscription fee for in unskipable ads is nuts. Never in a million years. At least with cable you can change the channel!
    jbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    jgreg728 said:
    No Apple TV Channel?
    Based on other providers I don’t expect it for a brand new offering. They seem to have their hands full getting the apps to work and implement all the Apple TV app features. If we’re lucky it will come later as the others have. 
    jgreg728
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 100member
    jgreg728 said:
    No Apple TV Channel?
    Based on other providers I don’t expect it for a brand new offering. They seem to have their hands full getting the apps to work and implement all the Apple TV app features. If we’re lucky it will come later as the others have. 
    Disappointing but you're totally right. Just looking for another established network besides CBS to have available on the service. Does Peacock have a live stream of the NBC cable channel like CBS AA?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    jgreg728 said:
    jgreg728 said:
    No Apple TV Channel?
    Disappointing but you're totally right. Just looking for another established network besides CBS to have available on the service. Does Peacock have a live stream of the NBC cable channel like CBS AA?
    Yeah it looks like this

jbdragon
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    jgreg728 said:
    jgreg728 said:
    No Apple TV Channel?
    Yeah it looks like this

I've been going with the Antenna for the last 8 years. I also grew up with only an Antenna. There was CableTV back then. A duel line A/B setup where you had to push a button on the box to which one you wanted. There was also just 1 Premium channel back then, HBO which had it's own box with a dial on it I guess to turn it on/off. I used to go to the next door neighbors where we would generally watch MTV. there was no reality TV junk back then.

I get most of my TV from my Antenna. Record onto my TIVO Roamio DVR. I can watch that content in the bedrooms on TIVO Mini's. As a Backup, I have a HDHomerun box. It's a little thing with 4 tuners. It's in my Closet with the rest of my Server stuff. You plug in your Antenna, Power and Ethernet. I have it linked to PLEX. So PLEX can record up to 4 shows at once. it will also auto cut out commercials after done recording. It takes time depending on how powerful hardware PLEX is installed onto. So anywhere I can watch Plex I can watch that content also. So on my new 75" Samsung QLED with has PLEX, to AppleTV, or my iPad or iPhone, etc Though I do have a Tivo Stream Box so I can watch my TIVO content on my iOS devices also. The newer TIVO Boxes I guess that kind of streaming is built in.

Then I have Netflix which I had before I cut the cord, so I don't considering it an extra expense, and Amazon Prime, which I had gotten for the free 2nd day shipping, not the TV/Movies that came out later and I still rarely watch content from Amazon. I do watch a ton of YouTube.

I'm not signing up to NBC either, just like I'm not signing up for Disney+ or HBOMax or anything else. Let along SLING or these other Cable channel services, which is just the same old bundle of channels, just paying someone else.

I tried the free month of HULU. I couldn't take it. At the time it was like 4 commercials in a row of 2 Broke Girls. One after the other, all the same. You can't skip them. Can't FF though them. It was so much just to see a hour long show. I watched the 1 show and never used it again that month for anything else.

I was a early TIVO adopter can got my first one in 1999. Even before that, I was recording shows on VHS takes to watch later and skip the commercials. I had 1 VHS player that had Auto Commercial Skip. After it was done recording, it would go though the tape and mark the beginning and end of the commercials, so that when you played the tape it would just FF though the commercials all by it's self. It worked pretty good. So long as you could wait for it to do it's thing in marking the tape. I'm not going to put up with not being able to skip commercials, or the old fashion, channel surfing when the commercials came on in the days before DVR's.

Antenna TV is 100% free. It's the best HD quality over cable let alone satellite. It also had 5.1 Surround Sound. There's also channels like AntennaTV, and MeTV, etc. Where you can see a lot of great older content. If you've never watch it, it would be NEW to you. A lot of stuff I grew up with. All free with just an Antenna. This is how I watch most of my TV. Except it looks better quality, because back then it was Analog, and I'd get some static. These days it's all broadcast Digitally. It's really the BEST deal out there. There are also a lot of choices for an Antenna DVR. Tivo, HDHomerun, Tablo, ChannelMaster DVR+. TIVO is the most expensive. Lifetime service is not cheap!!! Though when I got my Roamio Box, I got it at a great deal at $299 With Lifetime Service. That's CHEAP!!!! The HDHomerun, well that depends what you use it with for a DVR. I already paid for Lifetime with PLEX years ago. So all the Program guide stuff for me is FREE. There's EMBY which is similar to PLEX, but you have to sign up to a 3rd party service for that stuff which is still pretty cheap. I think $25 a year. Tablo, you can pay by month, year or get Lifetime and I think Lifetime is $150 which compared to TIVO is CHEAP. ChannelMaster I believe it's FREE with their DVR+ box.

It's nice to have a DVR so you can watch the shows when you want to watch them, not when their air. I never watch TV LIVE. Even on days when I used to watch Football. I'd record it and let it at least record the first hour, and then start watching, that way I could skip all the commercials. So it was close enough to LIVE.

With so many streaming services now. Because everyone wants their OWN. there's just not going to be enough customers. I'd have to cycle though one of them a month. Wait until the series you like is about over, and then sign up for the month and binge watch the whole season and anything else, cancel and sign up for the next one. You just h ave to figure out what shows you want to see, when the season ends and that can be the month you sign up for that service. Yo could have 12 different streaming services a year you're cycling through. You really don't need a fraction of them as it's already to much crap to watch as it is.
    edited May 2020