Apple poaches BBC documentary chief for unscripted Apple TV+ content

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is set to hire Alison Kirkham, BBC's controller of factual commissioning, in the summer of 2020 to produce unscripted shows and films in Europe.

Alison Kirkham, BBC's factual controller, is set to head up Apple's unscripted content in Europe. Credit: BBC
Alison Kirkham, BBC's factual controller, is set to head up Apple's unscripted content in Europe. Credit: BBC

Based in London, Kirkham will report to Jay Hunt, Apple's creative director for Europe.

Notably, the BBC alumnus is one of the first major hires for Apple's U.K.-based Apple TV+ team, according to Variety.

The executive will reportedly produce unscripted original series and films for Apple TV+ in Europe. Current unscripted content on Apple's platforms includes "Prehistoric Planet" and "Long Way Up."

Kirkham joined the BBC in 2005, and became its factual boss in 2015. Some of her past highlights include "Planet Earth II," "Blue Planet II," "Ambulance," "Exodus" and "Muslims Like Us."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    This is great news, I'm a big fan of BBC-Earth with the excellent "Planets" along with the content that she was involved with. I don't watch any fiction so I never really looked at Apple TV+ before. I'll have to look into "Prehistoric Planet" and "Long Way Up" although I still have a long watchlist to go through on Prime Video, such a wonderful and diverse selection.