Apple to begin reopening stores in US next week

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2020
Apple has just declared that it is opening up a handful of Apple Stores in the US cautiously, with more to follow as conditions warrant.

Apple's Anchorage, Alaska Fifth Avenue Mall store
Apple's Anchorage, Alaska Fifth Avenue Mall store

Starting the week of May 11, some Apple Retail stores, closed because of the Coronavirus pandemic will open. Specifically, some of the stores in Alabama, Alaska, Idaho, and South Carolina will be opening.

The stores will be mandating temperature checks for employees and visitors. Employees will be required to wear masks, but it isn't clear if they will require customers to do the same. Additionally, the maximum number of people in the store will be strictly limited.

Apple has issued a statement to AppleInsider and other venues regarding the openings.
We're excited to begin reopening stores in the US next week, starting with some stores in Idaho, South Carolina, Alabama and Alaska. Our team is constantly monitoring local heath data and government guidance, and as soon as we can safely open our stores, we will.

Our new social distance protocol allows for a limited number of visitors in the store at one time so there may be a delay for walk-in customers. We recommend, where possible, customers buy online for contactless delivery or in-store pick up.
In total, there are six stores across the four states. It isn't yet clear if all six will be opening.

Apple closed all of its retail stores outside of Greater China on March 14 in a bid to protect customers and team members from the fast-spreading disease. Initial plans were to reopen Apple Stores on March 27.

Apple Senior Vice President of Retail and People Deirdre O'Brien said in a memo in April that the company would open Apple Stores in the early May.

For the remaining stores and corporate locations, Apple employees will otherwise continue to adhere to work-from-home protocols, which for retail workers like Geniuses includes remote tech support. Corporate employees, like those based out of Apple Park, are also working remote to prevent spreading the virus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Good news!
    marklark
  • Reply 2 of 16
    tabarnacktabarnack Posts: 4member
    All hopes for Canada, soon!
    chasm
  • Reply 3 of 16
    It sounds like it's mainly focused on repair work.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    montrosemacsmontrosemacs Posts: 118member
    Specifically, some of the stores in Alabama, Alaska, Idaho, and South Carolina will be opening.
    Common feature: all 4 are Bright Red States. Not wanting to be a Debbie Downer here, but what has changed in the world since all stores were shut? Nothing. No vaccine, no drug that will "cure" or really even mitigate the disease (notwithstanding any claims to the contrary). The virus is still here and still spreading through human-to-human contact. Check the newspapers, it is daily front-page news: people are still dying by the thousands across the country. Hey, I'm as keen as anyone for the world to get back to normal. But seriously, nothing has changed other than eruptions of pent-up frustrations apparently reaching boiling points here and there. Good luck, Apple. 
    edited May 2020 minicoffeenapoleon_phoneapartsvanstromdewmemuthuk_vanalingamronnchasm
  • Reply 5 of 16
    eumaeuseumaeus Posts: 11member
    In S.C. the test-positive percentage has been on a downward slope for 28 days. Virtually all deaths are in long-term care facilities. Daily deaths outside of nursing homes are comparable to “eaten by alligator” and “run over by own lawnmower.” The State’s hospitals are at 30% capacity.

My daughter is an EMT in SC. She’s busy, as always, but not with COVID patients. “Flatten the curve” was to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. They are currently under-whelmed to the point of bankruptcy. 

”Daily front page news” is not really a solid criterion for making decisions.

I think Apple is making a responsible call here.

The most vulnerable people, of course, should not go to the mall. Kids doing home school will really be helped by this, at very low risk to anyone.
    marklark
  • Reply 6 of 16
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Specifically, some of the stores in Alabama, Alaska, Idaho, and South Carolina will be opening.
    Common feature: all 4 are Bright Red States. Not wanting to be a Debbie Downer here, but what has changed in the world since all stores were shut? Nothing. No vaccine, no drug that will "cure" or really even mitigate the disease (notwithstanding any claims to the contrary). The virus is still here and still spreading through human-to-human contact. Check the newspapers, it is daily front-page news: people are still dying by the thousands across the country. Hey, I'm as keen as anyone for the world to get back to normal. But seriously, nothing has changed other than eruptions of pent-up frustrations apparently reaching boiling points here and there. Good luck, Apple. 
    Red states? Might it have something to do with the number of cases?  And yes, the virus is still a threat. Hence the measures described in the article. 
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I don't think that having a vaccine or cure are going to be the benchmarks for a state or country starting to reopen. The reality is that there may never be a vaccine or cure. I think the better gauge for reopening is the ability to do testing of the general population and contact tracing abilities. That said, I doubt any of the mentioned states have that. 

• Reply 8 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

What changed -- or is changing -- is that strict social distancing protocols saved the healthcare system from being overrun.
    That was the one and only purpose to the social distancing protocols.  It was never meant to eliminate the virus because it couldn't.   And, just like in January (or now it appears maybe December) it only takes one Typhoid Mary (or is Corona Pete?)  to trigger it off all over again.

We still need testing, tracing and PPE in the community but still have none -- or not enough.  So, they're just going to chance it.

Pennsylvania just announced another 13 counties going from red to yellow next week but part of the announcement was that if they see an increase in infections in those areas we were going right back to red.
    montrosemacsStrangeDaysronnchasm
  • Reply 9 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I would like to see them open more stores just for repairs only.   No sales (unless tied to a repair) and no classes.   That would cut way down on both crowds and risk -- especially if it is by appointment.

By next week a good part (half?) of PA will be partially open -- meaning you can go into a store but drive-thru, curbside or delivery are recommended.   But none of those really apply to Apple Stores.   But I think opening them for repairs would really help Apple customers -- where a screen or battery can be replaced in about an hour or so.   From past experience that does require interaction between the customer and the technician, but I think that can be managed safely with masks, gloves, antiseptic, etc...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    eumaeus said:
    “Flatten the curve” was to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. They are currently under-whelmed to the point of bankruptcy. 
    Oh no! That is terrible. It is clearly time to open up states so that the hospitals can get their profits up again.
    ronn
  • Reply 11 of 16
    baederboybaederboy Posts: 38member
    svanstrom said:
    eumaeus said:
    “Flatten the curve” was to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. They are currently under-whelmed to the point of bankruptcy. 
    Oh no! That is terrible. It is clearly time to open up states so that the hospitals can get their profits up again.
    You do realize that the comment about them being bankrupted Is because many surgeries considered non-essential, like to repair heart valves and other things like removing some tumors, have been postponed and are not currently allowed to be performed? Some of which may result in unintended deaths. It is not ment to mean let’s remove some restrictions on the general populace in some states so that there are more coved-19 patients to help hospitals make profits?
    marklark
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I hear that people get shot when asked to wear a mask. I wonder how they will ever wait in line without it violating their Constitutional rights?
    hammeroftruthronnGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 16
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    baederboy said:
    svanstrom said:
    eumaeus said:
    You do realize that the comment about them being bankrupted Is because many surgeries considered non-essential, like to repair heart valves and other things like removing some tumors, have been postponed and are not currently allowed to be performed? Some of which may result in unintended deaths. It is not ment to mean let’s remove some restrictions on the general populace in some states so that there are more coved-19 patients to help hospitals make profits?
    You failed to the see the bigger picture there.
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacronn
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I think opening up is fine provided everyone is wearing a mask and employees wear gloves.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mccargosmccargos Posts: 12member
    This is wonderful news but I’m waiting a similar article that includes michigan
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Nice!  It'll be good to go to the store in Charleston on Wednesday!  Actually, I probably won't, as I really don't need anything, but I hope the stores are open in Portland, Oregon by July, so I can pick up a new iMac then.

I didn't see the link in the article to check on your own store, but it is here:
    https://www.apple.com/retail/