5G 'iPhone 12 Pro' could have 120Hz ProMotion display

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2020
The "iPhone 12 Pro" will include a 120Hz ProMotion display, a rumor claims, with annual fall iPhone refresh also anticipated to have an improved Face ID system and an upgraded telephoto zoom on the back.

iPhone 12 render (via EverythingApplePro)
iPhone 12 render (via EverythingApplePro)

The yearly update to the iPhone lineup is rumored to offer three models across two tiers, similar to the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro ranges. For 2020, it has been suggested the Pro models of the "iPhone 12" could offer something different, in the form of a high-refresh-rate display.

It is claimed by EverythingApplePro that Apple will use a ProMotion display on the Pro model releases for 2020. If true, this would mean the higher-specification 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch models will be able to switch between a 60Hz and 120Hz display mode similar to the iPad Pro's version of the technology, but the 5.4-inch "iPhone 12" will have a normal 60Hz display.

ProMotion offers a few advantages, including smoother movement of items on-screen when engaged at 120Hz, while the switching of refresh rate will allow the iPhone to go down to lower rates to conserve power.

The use of ProMotion in the 2020 iPhones has been rumored before, though it wasn't suggested that the technology would be used on specific models.

While not restricted by tier, there also may be more changes afoot for Face ID. While previous rumors point to a smaller TrueDepth camera array and notch, the alleged leak also claims Face ID will be able to work with a wider field of view, enabling users to be authenticated at more extreme angles than currently possible.

On the back, the rear camera system will be enhanced by LiDAR, such as by speeding up the autofocus system and improving image stabilization, as well as improving Portrait Mode shots. Smart HDR will also be improved to make low-light photography better.

Away from LiDAR, one of the lenses may also receive a tweak. The telephoto lens may have an increased magnification, moving from 2x to 3x, providing a greater level of zoom for users before needing to use the digital zoom feature in the camera app.
MrUNIMOG

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    For me, it boils down to just 2 questions:
    1)   Will this be a phone I could live with for the next 4-5 years?   (Actually, my grandson would have it for the first two of those years then hand it down)
    2)   Will the additional features be enough to get me to pay the premium for the 12-Pro over the 12?   The last rumors I've heard are that both will have OLED screens and 5G.   So for the primary features (quality screen and communications) there won't be enough difference to support the existing $400 premium -- 2/3's over the cost of the base model.

One interesting feature though might be that smart connector on the side.   Yes, it might be for the Apple pencil and that would be nice.  But, it could also be used to connect to a clam-shell laptop void of motherboard, RAM and CPU and consisting of screen, keyboard, trackpad, external battery and possibly external GPU.  It could also serve as a hub with power connector and Thunderbolt ports.  Now that would be nice.  Really nice.

NexDock 2

Compatible Smartphones

NexDock works with smartphones with “desktop mode” feature.

Samsung and Huawei flagship smartphones already support “desktop mode” and it is coming to many other phones with upcoming Android Q (V.10) update.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 35
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    120Hz ProMotion display, and 25GHz BrainCooker Pro.. watch your blood cells forming amazing fractals!
    baconstang
  • Reply 3 of 35
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    1)   Will this be a phone I could live with for the next 4-5 years?   (Actually, my grandson would have it for the first two of those years then hand it down)
    2)   Will the additional features be enough to get me to pay the premium for the 12-Pro over the 12?   The last rumors I've heard are that both will have OLED screens and 5G.   So for the primary features (quality screen and communications) there won't be enough difference to support the existing $400 premium -- 2/3's over the cost of the base model.

One interesting feature though might be that smart connector on the side.   Yes, it might be for the Apple pencil and that would be nice.  But, it could also be used to connect to a clam-shell laptop void of motherboard, RAM and CPU and consisting of screen, keyboard, trackpad, external battery and possibly external GPU.  It could also serve as a hub with power connector and Thunderbolt ports.  Now that would be nice.  Really nice.

NexDock 2

Compatible Smartphones

Samsung and Huawei flagship smartphones already support “desktop mode” and it is coming to many other phones with upcoming Android Q (V.10) update.

That's been the most consistent rumor so far
  • Reply 4 of 35
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member

NexDock 2

Compatible Smartphones

Apple isn't going to do this. The best you can expect is to be able to plug an iPhone in to an external monitor and use a bluetooth keyboard with trackpad. 

It's really a silly niche to be considering, iPhone apps don't translate well to the desktop, so Apple won't do it, and for the record, there is the iPad family, or various MacBook models.

Thunderbolt has been absorbed into USB 4.0, so expect to externalize GPU and other devices in the distant future, but I don't see the iPhone ever getting this capability.
    netmage
  • Reply 5 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,687member
    tmay said:

NexDock 2

Compatible Smartphones

Apple isn't going to do this. The best you can expect is to be able to plug an iPhone in to an external monitor and use a bluetooth keyboard with trackpad. 

It's really a silly niche to be considering, iPhone apps don't translate well to the desktop, so Apple won't do it, and for the record, there is the iPad family, or various MacBook models.

Thunderbolt has been absorbed into USB 4.0, so expect to externalize GPU and other devices in the distant future, but I don't see the iPhone ever getting this capability.
    Obviously it's not for everyone but if you are naming a phone as 'pro' there is no reason it can't be useful to many even if it is still a niche. 

Options are somewhat limited as the device is still a phone (not a full blown Windows) but options are good and if you don't have a computer to hand it can make life easier. 

Samsung's system originally required a special dock and cable. Huawei's (debuted about three years ago) eliminated the need for a dock and the special cable and used standard cables instead. Later they made it wireless. The phone can be used as a trackpad (and now a keyboard I believe) 

Given how CPU and WiFi speeds have got much faster since then, I wouldn't rule it out for an iPhone. I think it would be a great feature.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 35
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    As an older iPhone7 Plus user, things like pro-motion 120 hertz donuts don't really mean anything.   I'm satisfied with my iPhone, but I want my next $1000+ phone to provide better tools.   Lidar measurements, scan to 3D print stuff would be really neat, but I may never use them.  

I take pictures, record audio, scan barcodes, shop, etc.  Faster is always better.  As always, battery life is up there, too.

I'll buy it no matter what.  The whole experience is worth it.   At these prices, I may be stuck with it for another 4 years, too, unless some new tech itches me to upgrade.
    tmaybaconstang
  • Reply 7 of 35
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    I would love a larger camera sensor on the iPhone. The more they can incorporate a physically larger sensor, the better.
    netmage
  • Reply 8 of 35
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    tmay said:

NexDock 2

Compatible Smartphones

How is the ability to bring your personal computer with you as a phone and seamlessly move between the two, a ‘silly niche’? 
    Japhey
  • Reply 9 of 35
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

NexDock 2

Compatible Smartphones

I’m pretty sure it boils down to those 2 questions for everybody that’s thinking about upgrading. Another factor to consider this year are the rumored AirTags and the HomePod and AppleTV updates. For those who are on a budget for whatever reason, like myself, they may be compelling reasons to eschew the Pro models in favor of the base 12’s in order to spread that budget out a little. As you said, the rumored differences aren’t great enough to justify the extra cost; and if it comes down to a choice between the 12 Pro Max vs. 6.1 12 base model plus some of the extras I listed above for nearly the same price, that decision is a no-brainer, for me at least. 
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 10 of 35
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

NexDock 2

Compatible Smartphones

Obviously it's not for everyone but if you are naming a phone as 'pro' there is no reason it can't be useful to many even if it is still a niche. 

Options are somewhat limited as the device is still a phone (not a full blown Windows) but options are good and if you don't have a computer to hand it can make life easier. 

Samsung's system originally required a special dock and cable. Huawei's (debuted about three years ago) eliminated the need for a dock and the special cable and used standard cables instead. Later they made it wireless. The phone can be used as a trackpad (and now a keyboard I believe) 

Given how CPU and WiFi speeds have got much faster since then, I wouldn't rule it out for an iPhone. I think it would be a great feature.

It isn't going to happen with an iPhone. Just because it could be done, doesn't make it a good idea, and it has been tried, over and over again, with limited success.

With the availability of ARM class desktop SOC's to power notebook at even lower cost than Intel, this will remain a niche market, but more importantly, a desktop gives you quite a bit more TDP to work with, and that translates to much better performance, and the experience of a desktop OS is much superior to a phone OS on a desktop device. 

This is, in fact, the Toaster Fridge that we were warned about.
    edited May 2020 randominternetpersonbaconstangnetmage
  • Reply 11 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tmay said:

NexDock 2

Compatible Smartphones

The Trick is to establish a desktop mode from the phone.  But, I think Apple has already been working on that.   I think it's called "iPadOS".
    Plus there's pretty solid rumors that MacOS will be there soon also.

But, I agree that, even though Apple could do this, they probably won't (or at least not soon) and will, instead stick to product segregation as long as possible -- much as they did dragging their feet bringing cursor to the iPad.   They will only do it when and if pressured to do so by competition.

But, from a technical standpoint, it is not only feasible, it's already being done.

From the standpoint of a business it would make a huge amount of sense:   Instead of buying every employee an iPhone and a Mac, they only have to buy an iPhone and a cheap shell -- and the employee is always ready for work anytime and any place.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 35
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    "one of the lenses may also receive a tweak. The telephoto lens may have an increased magnification"

I would also ask if the wide angle could be improved, as technically challenging (or even impossible) as that may be...
    On a positive I found barrel distortion remarkably well corrected for such a wide view, yet could the peripheral sharpness and chromatic aberration be improved?
    While not as wide or compact, is the Zeiss ExoLens (now likely working on the SE) still the one to beat for overall image quality ?
    edited May 2020 baconstang
  • Reply 13 of 35
    tmay said:

NexDock 2

Compatible Smartphones

The Trick is to establish a desktop mode from the phone.  But, I think Apple has already been working on that.   I think it's called "iPadOS".
    Plus there's pretty solid rumors that MacOS will be there soon also.

But, I agree that, even though Apple could do this, they probably won't (or at least not soon) and will, instead stick to product segregation as long as possible -- much as they did dragging their feet bringing cursor to the iPad.   They will only do it when and if pressured to do so by competition.

But, from a technical standpoint, it is not only feasible, it's already being done.

From the standpoint of a business it would make a huge amount of sense:   Instead of buying every employee an iPhone and a Mac, they only have to buy an iPhone and a cheap shell -- and the employee is always ready for work anytime and any place.
    Are there a lot of companies buying their employees smartphones nowadays?  In my experience this has gone the way of companies paying for dialup connections a generation ago.  There's a reason "bring your own device" is a thing.
    tmayRayz2016netmage
  • Reply 14 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
      (Actually, my grandson would have it for the first two of those years then hand it down)

I don't have a grandson, but if I did, I wouldn't be buying any $1000+ phone and giving it to them and then getting it back for me to use after 2 years.

I'd get them an SE, and then I would rather buy myself a brand new iPhone 14 in 2 years from now.
    mobirdMplsPrazorpitnetmage
  • Reply 15 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,687member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

NexDock 2

Compatible Smartphones

It isn't going to happen with an iPhone. Just because it could be done, doesn't make it a good idea, and it has been tried, over and over again, with limited success.

With the availability of ARM class desktop SOC's to power notebook at even lower cost than Intel, this will remain a niche market, but more importantly, a desktop gives you quite a bit more TDP to work with, and that translates to much better performance, and the experience of a desktop OS is much superior to a phone OS on a desktop device. 

It's not designed to replace a desktop OS. 

That said, I don't know where things could go in the future and in the case of Apple they already have control of the OS.

It is worth noting that only two years ago Huawei announced its Cloud PC system to give Chinese users a Desktop Mode which actually used Windows 10 via the cloud (using Huawei's Desktop Fusion Cloud Service Servers) Obviously good connections were a must for it to be workable but we already know that 5G will resolve all connection issues for such services. In theory Apple could take remote desktops to a new level and fully integrate them into iPhones. 

Regular Desktop Mode - as it is now - without requiring an internet connection, opens up new options for when you don't have your full OS to hand and allows you a more optimised experience for a large screen.

Both Huawei and Samsung have had this functionality for years and now Google is plumbing it into regular Android so clearly it has been a success. 

I see no good reason for it not to be a possibility for Apple. 
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 35
    I will be content with my XS for a few more years. No need to throw away another $1000 when my current device works perfectly.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 35
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    I still like and enjoy my iPhone X.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    mobird said:
    I still like and enjoy my iPhone X.
    I still like and enjoy my iPhone SE, the original, I don't even have the new one. :#

Out of all the Apple things that I own, the phone is what I probably use the least, so I choose to prioritize spending more on other items, like iPad Pros etc. Other people probably use their phone a lot, but everybody's use case and situation is different. If I were constantly using my phone, I'd probably be using an iPhone 11 right now.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    I will be content with my XS for a few more years. No need to throw away another $1000 when my current device works perfectly.
    Who throws their used, but still working phones away?   You trade them in, sell them, hand them down.  There's always value to be had.

Of course, I knew you meant that is what you would do without stating it.  It's always a net upgrade cost unless yours just dies/breaks/is lost/stolen, etc. 
    netmage
  • Reply 20 of 35
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

NexDock 2

Compatible Smartphones

It's not designed to replace a desktop OS. 

That said, I don't know where things could go in the future and in the case of Apple they already have control of the OS.

It is worth noting that only two years ago Huawei announced its Cloud PC system to give Chinese users a Desktop Mode which actually used Windows 10 via the cloud (using Huawei's Desktop Fusion Cloud Service Servers) Obviously good connections were a must for it to be workable but we already know that 5G will resolve all connection issues for such services. In theory Apple could take remote desktops to a new level and fully integrate them into iPhones. 

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic, but I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that. 
    tmaynetmagefastasleep