The Big Redesign Feedback Thread

Posted:
in Feedback edited May 2020
Please post any feedback and bug reports here so that we can keep things organized and easy to manage. If you have a bug report, please attach a screenshot of the issue along with the device you're using to better help us get a handle on it.

Thanks! 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,398member
    Whoa. Looks great on desktop, was just wondering when you'd get around to dark mode on the front end. :) Congrats.

Always would've liked authors to carry over to the forum post in the past, but now those are on the front page it's less of a concern (I always skip the individual article page).

• Reply 2 of 83
    ctj99aictj99ai Posts: 1member
    Hoo hah! This is a great looking site! Well done! And of course, the dark mode is terrific!
  • Reply 3 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    Love the new look, and the articles surface more cleanly. So far big thumbs up!
    azamino
  • Reply 4 of 83
    dempsondempson Posts: 62member
    Web site looks good, but the RSS feed seems to be partly broken: I'm using NetNewsWire 5.0.3, and the feed from https://appleinsider.com/rss/news lists the articles with a brief summary (as before) but none of the entries actually link to the web site, so I have to manually switch to my web browser, go to appleinsider.com and find the article, which seriously limits the usefulness of the RSS feed.

Possible technical explanation, based on a quick look at the feed data and Atom specification: each <entry> tag in the feed appears to be missing a <link> tag with the article URL.

• Reply 5 of 83
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    dempson said:
    Web site looks good, but the RSS feed seems to be partly broken: I'm using NetNewsWire 5.0.3, and the feed from https://appleinsider.com/rss/news lists the articles with a brief summary (as before) but none of the entries actually link to the web site, so I have to manually switch to my web browser, go to appleinsider.com and find the article, which seriously limits the usefulness of the RSS feed.

Possible technical explanation, based on a quick look at the feed data and Atom specification: each <entry> tag in the feed appears to be missing a <link> tag with the article URL.

This should be fixed now, thanks!

Edit:
    We changed the RSS feed format, so you guys may see a little weirdness depending on your reader (some people were reporting duplicated stories) but it should be fine going forward.

edited May 2020 fastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 83
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member
    I think it would be more convenient to have a "Read more in the forums..." link at the TOP of the comments instead of (or in addition to) the one at the bottom.

For those articles that have lots of comments already, in order to reply to a particular one, it requires going all the way to the bottom just to get to the normal forums to "like" a post, etc.  Have the link at the TOP of the comments section, please.  

Otherwise, still getting used to the look and feel of the new site.
    azamino
  • Reply 7 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I think it would be more convenient to have a "Read more in the forums..." link at the TOP of the comments instead of (or in addition to) the one at the bottom.

For those articles that have lots of comments already, in order to reply to a particular one, it requires going all the way to the bottom just to get to the normal forums to "like" a post, etc.  Have the link at the TOP of the comments section, please.  

I don't know that I'd encourage visitors to "Read more in the forums" until some of us clean up a bit. A whole lot of threads go way off the tracks and proceed down a cliff, not reflecting well on fans of Apple who are generally a knowledgable and friendly bunch. The forums serve a valuable function, but casual visitors may come away with an entirely wrong impression of AppleInsider.  

If we're going to invite them to "Read more in the forums" several of us, and often the loudest voices, need to learn to be more tolerant as well as follow forum rules. 
    Just me 2 cents.
    edited May 2020 jony0Detnator
  • Reply 8 of 83
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What changed? On the mobile version of the site it’s not immediately obvious anything is different.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    The redesign is nice, but I find the "floating up" on scrolling distracting and unnecessary.
    julsssarkdogpawForumPoststevenozjony0retrogustobryan_swain72
  • Reply 10 of 83
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member
    gatorguy said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

I don't know that I'd encourage visitors to "Read more in the forums" until some of us clean up a bit. A whole lot of threads go way off the tracks and proceed down a cliff, not reflecting well on fans of Apple who are generally a knowledgable and friendly bunch. The forums serve a valuable function, but casual visitors may come away with an entirely wrong impression of AppleInsider.  

If we're going to invite them to "Read more in the forums" several of us, and often the loudest voices, need to learn to be more tolerant as well as follow forum rules. 
    Just me 2 cents.
    I hope the bottom placement of the "Read more..." wasn't placed down there as some sort "censoring" of the forum content in an effort to groom the contents by making it more pro-Apple and difficult for the average "Joe" to post their opinion.  While some people do come here just to troll and post negativity, at the same time, everything Apple does/sells/designs isn't always perfect (maybe to the dismay of some here) and so posting an "anti-Apple" post isn't always trolling.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    ndnycndnyc Posts: 19member
    on iPad.

the two (TWO) persistent menu bars needlessly take up valuable space.
    the scroll up animations are distracting and unnecessary.
    the top and featured stories should be a collapsable/hide-able preference.
    ForumPoststevenozpscooter63jony0retrogustobryan_swain72
  • Reply 12 of 83
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I hope the bottom placement of the "Read more..." wasn't placed down there as some sort "censoring" of the forum content in an effort to groom the contents by making it more pro-Apple and difficult for the average "Joe" to post their opinion.  While some people do come here just to troll and post negativity, at the same time, everything Apple does/sells/designs isn't always perfect (maybe to the dismay of some here) and so posting an "anti-Apple" post isn't always trolling.
    It was not. There is already a link to the comments at the top of the article, and we only display 5 comments beneath it. The amount of space that takes up depends on the length of the comments. The link is there to prompt the user to go to the forums if they want to read more.
    edited May 2020 fastasleepazamino
  • Reply 13 of 83
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,590member
    What changed? On the mobile version of the site it’s not immediately obvious anything is different.
    I noticed something had changed (Android 9 in this case) but on looking for the changes I saw the mobile site was more free flowing, more readable and less cluttered than it appeared before, but yes, it's not a radical, in your face change (at least from what I remember it as before).

The only nit pick is that on the top right of the forums page we have the three white bars/lines to expand content but on the main page it is two white bars.

Anyhow, I like the new version so well done to those involved. 
  • Reply 14 of 83
    clincclinc Posts: 2member
    IMHO, the new website design is a step backwards!  Way too much white space and too many big pictures.  Please provide an option to go back to the old format, or some other condensed view.
    fizzmasterstevenozrazorpitjony0oseameretrogusto
  • Reply 15 of 83
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Its nice and smooth, i think it need a login on top.
    azamino
  • Reply 16 of 83
    gatorguy said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

Just me 2 cents.
    You ever go hang out on MacRumors or similar? AI is a bastion of calm in comparison.
    jony0azamino
  • Reply 17 of 83
    henrybayhenrybay Posts: 144member

When I scroll down the news section of the AI website, the bottom items move unnecessarily. They lag the rest of the screen and then seem to ‘catch up’. This may look trendy but it makes the AI site uncomfortable to use and causes dizziness. Please remove this silly gimmick from your website. I love Apple Insider but this particular design element is a step backwards. 

PS: there is also far too much white space now. We shouldn’t have to scroll down endlessly through all this space to check the list of articles. It makes the site seem clumsy and inefficient. 

edited May 2020 stevenozrazorpitjony0clincretrogusto
  • Reply 18 of 83
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 109member
    Not a fan. Is there a way to have a simple view (like before) of the news in descending order of post time? I don't need or want "top stories", "featured posts", etc.?

The 'roll in' function as you scroll is distracting. 

I seem to be in the minority, but I prefer simplicity and getting to what I want quickly.
    henrybaystevenozrazorpitjony0clincazaminojdb8167jeffharrisoseameretrogusto
  • Reply 19 of 83
    mdossmdoss Posts: 40member
    Unfortunately I am one of the people who is not a fan of "dark mode", either in macOS or on AppleInsider or any other forums/websites because it does funny things to my vision and head. I prefer the old Black text on White pages.

Is there any way I could be given the option to choose the old layout and color scheme in my user-preferences or something like that so that I do not hinder the majority who seem to prefer dark mode?

I also do not prefer the concept of the "Load (gearwheel) More" link at the bottom of every screen. I still prefer the old almost infinite scrolling. Is there a way I can set that in my user preferences please?

Thank you and cheers
    jony0
  • Reply 20 of 83
    mdoss said:
    Unfortunately I am one of the people who is not a fan of "dark mode", either in macOS or on AppleInsider or any other forums/websites because it does funny things to my vision and head. I prefer the old Black text on White pages.

Is there any way I could be given the option to choose the old layout and color scheme in my user-preferences or something like that so that I do not hinder the majority who seem to prefer dark mode?

I also do not prefer the concept of the "Load (gearwheel) More" link at the bottom of every screen. I still prefer the old almost infinite scrolling. Is there a way I can set that in my user preferences please?

Thank you and cheers
    I don't understand how you're seeing the dark mode site if your Mac isn't in dark mode. I just turned mine back on light mode and the website changed immediately, both here and on the front page.