Apple acquires virtual reality video streaming startup NextVR

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Thursday confirmed that it has acquired NextVR, a California startup that produces virtual reality live events content.

The acquisition is said to be worth about $100 million. Credit: NextVR
The acquisition is said to be worth about $100 million. Credit: NextVR

NextVR is a live events company that provides sports, concert and other live VR content to headset manufacturers such as Facebook's Oculus. Rumors that Apple was eyeing the Newport Beach, California-based company surfaced in April.

Apple confirmed the acquisition to Bloomberg on Thursday, shortly after NextVR updated its website with a landing page saying that it is "heading in a new direction." The startup reportedly shut down operations this week.

No purchase price was revealed, though previous reports suggested that the deal was valued at about $100 million.

Back in April, a shell company thought to be controlled by Apple was said to be prepared to hire the majority of NextVR's engineers. In addition to talent, NextVR reportedtly holds at least 40 patents in the virtual reality sphere and related technologies..

Apple has invested heavily in augmented and virtual reality, with many rumors suggesting that the company is developing a pair of AR glasses or an AR headset. A recent forecast from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo indicates that the first Apple AR device could launch in 2022.

The acquisition of NextVR is at least Apple's third in 2020. Earlier in 2020, Apple purchased voice technology startup Voysis and weather app Dark Sky.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    If this software is already on the market, this tells me we should be seeing some sort of Apple AR device be ready in the next three to six months. They will want something like this baked in and ready to go at launch, otherwise, why acquire?
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    billsdbillsd Posts: 1member
    A device, I'm sure there is one.

What I found interesting was that this company was more about producing live events.  I could totally see Apple Music (Concerts, Videos) and Apple TV (Live Sports, Theater) offering exciting new media to take advantage of this new device.  It's apple's style not just to provide a device, but get the industry started on reasons to use the device.

This may be the right time give that we're in the age of social distancing.  A new way to enjoy live performances. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member
    JinTech said:
    If this software is already on the market, this tells me we should be seeing some sort of Apple AR device be ready in the next three to six months. They will want something like this baked in and ready to go at launch, otherwise, why acquire?
    To me, the purchase fits perfectly with the recent news of Apple going on an iCloud infrastructure hiring spree. 
    JinTechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JinTech said:
    It would be cool if you are right, but 3-6 months seems extremely optimistic. It took Apple 11 months to launch Music after closing the Beats acquisition, and 12 months for News+ following the Texture acquisition. So, at least a year seems more realistic here. Also, in addition to the talent and IP, preventing a potential acquisition of NextVR by a competitor such as Microsoft or Facebook was probably a key factor for Apple. 
    lollivergregoriusmSpamSandwichrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Japhey said:
    JinTech said:
    It would be cool if you are right, but 3-6 months seems extremely optimistic. It took Apple 11 months to launch Music after closing the Beats acquisition, and 12 months for News+ following the Texture acquisition. So, at least a year seems more realistic here. Also, in addition to the talent and IP, preventing a potential acquisition of NextVR by a competitor such as Microsoft or Facebook was probably a key factor for Apple. 
    True, maybe more like 12 months. For sure, seems like this would have been a ripe acquisition for Microsoft or Facebook. Glad Apple got to them first!

leavingthebigg said:
    JinTech said:
    To me, the purchase fits perfectly with the recent news of Apple going on an iCloud infrastructure hiring spree. 
    That's interesting, didn't know that Apple was going on an iCloud infrastructure hiring spree! Makes sense!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    billsd said:

What I found interesting was that this company was more about producing live events.  I could totally see Apple Music (Concerts, Videos) and Apple TV (Live Sports, Theater) offering exciting new media to take advantage of this new device.  It's apple's style not just to provide a device, but get the industry started on reasons to use the device.

This may be the right time give that we're in the age of social distancing.  A new way to enjoy live performances. 
    I thought the exact same thing, Apple Music AR, in particular, would be a new frontier and potentially a killer app to sell Apple Music subscriptions.  There's been a big upsurge in virtual concerts in this lockdown period, and while it's early days and I'm not sure, but I think bringing AR and/or VR into that experience could be a big thing.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    crowley said:
    billsd said:

I thought the exact same thing, Apple Music AR, in particular, would be a new frontier and potentially a killer app to sell Apple Music subscriptions.  There's been a big upsurge in virtual concerts in this lockdown period, and while it's early days and I'm not sure, but I think bringing AR and/or VR into that experience could be a big thing.
    This would be a very expensive endeavor for Apple, several hundreds of thousands per event, at least initially. While they have deep pockets, it would be interesting to see how something like that would play out in the long run. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    JinTech said:
    crowley said:
    billsd said:

This would be a very expensive endeavor for Apple, several hundreds of thousands per event, at least initially. While they have deep pockets, it would be interesting to see how something like that would play out in the long run. 
    Sure, I can't imagine it'd be workable for all concerts, but Apple used to host the free iTunes Festival, which would have been a good host to this kind of thing and be completely within Apple's control; maybe they'll bring it back, or something similar.  

Big prestige events could get in on it, I imagine watching Apple Keynotes in AR would probably be very popular too.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 9 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Any and every kind of large audience experience should be considered potential game here, not just music/concert events. 

Conferences, sports, churches, political gatherings... the list is endless.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobrah2p
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I am optimistic about this purchase, but I'm not sure I see the advantage of a VR concert.  Do I get to wander around the stage and see the back of the performers heads or am I stuck in the audience with no reason to look anywhere but straight ahead (and slightly upwards)?  Wouldn't a traditional view from well-positioned cameras be better than either of those?  What am I missing?
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    I am optimistic about this purchase, but I'm not sure I see the advantage of a VR concert.  Do I get to wander around the stage and see the back of the performers heads or am I stuck in the audience with no reason to look anywhere but straight ahead (and slightly upwards)?  Wouldn't a traditional view from well-positioned cameras be better than either of those?  What am I missing?
    No, you can't wander around a stage. 360 degree VR video content still comes from a camera (or multiple cameras) in fixed space. There are many, many, many examples on YouTube — go search for "360 concert" and you can pan around on them even on flat devices. Otherwise, you can watch with a Cardboard device and your iPhone.

Here's Metallica from the perspective of Lars' drum kit, for example:

I watched a performance from inside a studio on my PSVR once, it was pretty cool. And stereo 360 is far more immersive than single lens footage.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Any and every kind of large audience experience should be considered potential game here, not just music/concert events. 

Conferences, sports, churches, political gatherings... the list is endless.
    I’m thinking iBeacon demos of Baseball players (or whatever sport) with AR content attached to each player. Touch to see stats, etc during the game — coaches/player interviews, strategy snippets, matchup info and what not. Just like the early envisioning of smart TVs. It’s a stretch but the cost of multiple cameras/sensors could be offset by selling access to the AR version of the game vs. the TV version of the game. Something for super fans & cordcutters. During this lockdown period, I’ve participated in a few different events where I have a virtual front row seat. Ok, not 360 but still very nice.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Presumably you’d be able to get the best seats in the house every time.