Apple's $500M agreement to settle iPhone throttling controversy gets preliminary approval

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    mike1 said:
    viclauyyc said:
    Shocking, the lawyer get more money than the “victim”. How is that even possible in a moral world.

30% might or might not be a lot, but what would you propose? They are getting less than the victims. The "victims" are getting $217MM. Should the lawyers do all the work for less than $25? Would you?

No different than the cut agents/managers get from a celebrity or professional athlete. I'm not a lawyer, but your shock and outrage are misplaced.

Actually, in most of these cases most of the victims never get anything because they don’t know about the settlement, don’t send in the paperwork because it’s not worth the hassle for a couple bucks, etc.

I don’t know how the settlement is worded, but I’d be willing to bet my $25 that the lawyers receive the full amount regardless of how many consumers actually benefit. Just a hunch...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    mike1 said:
    viclauyyc said:
    Shocking, the lawyer get more money than the “victim”. How is that even possible in a moral world.

30% might or might not be a lot, but what would you propose? They are getting less than the victims. The "victims" are getting $217MM. Should the lawyers do all the work for less than $25? Would you?

No different than the cut agents/managers get from a celebrity or professional athlete. I'm not a lawyer, but your shock and outrage are misplaced.

Actually, in most of these cases most of the victims never get anything because they don’t know about the settlement, don’t send in the paperwork because it’s not worth the hassle for a couple bucks, etc.

I don’t know how the settlement is worded, but I’d be willing to bet my $25 that the lawyers receive the full amount regardless of how many consumers actually benefit. Just a hunch...

Or, in the case, of Experian they make it almost impossible to get remuneration.  In their case, they strongly pushed getting a year of "ID Protection" (not much different from many 'free trials' of a subscription) but you could request your $125 settlement.   But, months later, those who did got a letter saying they had to prove they already had ID Protection to qualify for the settlement.   And, it would be up to Experian to decide if their proof was adequate.   if it wasn't -- then no settlement.

In other words:   a big scam that made the lawyers rich and cost Experian nothing -- actually it was mostly a scam to get people to pay them for ID Protection once the free trial ran out.