Apple releases GM builds of iOS 13.5, iPadOS 13.5, watchOS 6.2.5, tvOS 13.4.5

Posted:
in iOS
Apple is getting close to the release of its next batch of operating system updates, issuing to developers GM versions of iOS 13.5, iPadOS 13.5, tvOS 13.4.5, and watchOS 6.2.5 for testing.

The GM builds can be downloaded by developers enrolled in the beta-testing scheme via the Apple Developer Center, or as an over-the-air update for hardware already using earlier beta builds.

At the time of publication, the "Gold Master" versions of iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, and watchOS have been provided, while a variant for macOS has yet to arrive. The issuance of GM builds are a strong indication that Apple will be making the final releases of the updates in the very near future.

Apple issued the fourth betas for iOS 13.5 and iPadOS 13.5 on May 6, followed by fourth-round versions of macOS 10.15.5, and tvOS 13.4.5 one day later on May 7. The third round versions were provided on April 29, along with a renumbering of iOS and iPadOS from their initial version numbers of 13.4.5. The second round landed on April 15, and while the first round for iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS appeared on March 31.

The fifth watchOS 6.2.5 build was released on May 14, bringing it one generation ahead of the rest.

The iOS and iPadOS betas had a few new features, specifically relating to COVID-19. One was the first software hooks required for the Exposure Notification API to function in contact tracing apps, one that Apple issued sample code for to developers on the subject on May 4.

Another related change was Face ID's handling of face masks, which hinder facial recognition by covering the bottom half of the user's face. When a face mask is detected, Face ID will automatically skip the process of retrying and waiting for a timeout, in favor of prompting for a passcode entry in a smaller timeframe.

Both AppleInsider and Apple itself strongly recommend users don't install the betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, as there is the remote possibility of data loss or other issues. Instead, testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to make sure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Wasn’t there also a critical Mail bug that should be fixed with this update?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 206member
    No interest in this Corona crap.
    lkrupprazorpit
  • Reply 3 of 9
    brian greenbrian green Posts: 662member
    Disabling this as soon as it’s updated.  I have zero interest in everything this stands for. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jkmutahjkmutah Posts: 10member
    Disabling this as soon as it’s updated.  I have zero interest in everything this stands for. 
    Who cares?
    dewmefastasleepagilealtitudegalfridusbeowulfschmidtelijahg
  • Reply 5 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dutchlord said:
    Since recent news articles are pointing to the possibility that governments aren’t going to use the Apple-Google solution because it doesn’t give them information they desire I think you don't have to worry about it at all. The way I see it governments, if they could, would make installation of tracking apps mandatory just like the Chinese have. There will be PSAs promoting that if you want to be a good citizen you will voluntarily install the apps. If that fails, mandatory, even surreptitious  installs will happen.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 6 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

macapfel said:
    Wasn’t there also a critical Mail bug that should be fixed with this update?
    What critical bug? If it’s the one recently on the radar Apple has said it presents little risk to users. Security experts admit it’s difficult to execute and would likely be limited to state actors going after high value targets. In other words, NOT you or me. If this is the bug you are worried about then yes, Apple has already announced it is patched in iOS 13.5. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    lkrupp said:
    dutchlord said:
    Since recent news articles are pointing to the possibility that governments aren’t going to use the Apple-Google solution because it doesn’t give them information they desire I think you don't have to worry about it at all. The way I see it governments, if they could, would make installation of tracking apps mandatory just like the Chinese have. There will be PSAs promoting that if you want to be a good citizen you will voluntarily install the apps. If that fails, mandatory, even surreptitious  installs will happen.
    And when it reaches that point the phone goes in a blender.
    razorpit
  • Reply 8 of 9
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    jkmutah said:
    Who cares?
    I do. It’s important to know not everyone is a sheep.

lkrupp said:
    dutchlord said:
    And when it reaches that point the phone goes in a blender.
    I would seriously consider going to an iPod Touch if (when) we get to that point if they leave it unmolested.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    The tinfoil hat brigade is strong on this one.