Google Fi introduces eSIM support for existing iPhone customers

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google Fi is this week began to roll out eSIM support for current iPhone subscribers, allowing them to use the dual-SIM capabilities of select Apple handsets.

In April, the mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) began letting new users sign up for Google Fi using the eSIM embedded in iPhone XR, XS, XS Max, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max and 2020 iPhone SE. With Google Fi version 2.5, which was released on Monday, Google is starting to slowly introduce eSIM support so that its MVNO members can free up the physical SIM slot on their dual-SIM iPhones.

The change was first spotted by several users on Reddit (via 9to5Google).

Officially, the feature hasn't rolled out completely, but several of the aforementioned Redditors have made it work by uninstalling and reinstalling the Google Fi app. After reinstallation, Google Fi will prompt the users about switching to eSIM.

To complete the process, users must then head to Google Fi's quick setup webpage to scan a QR code, and then set up wireless data and MMS.

In addition to leaving the physical SIM slot open, the feature will also speed up the process of subscribing to Google Fi for future customers.

Google's official documentation still says that eSIM is only available for new users, but that text is likely to change as the support for existing users completes its rollout.

In April, Google also updated its list of smartphones that support eSIM. It now includes the 2020 iPhone SE alongside the iPhone XR/XS/XS Max and iPhone 11 series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    So could I sign up for Google Fi next time I'm in the States, and use it for my mobile provider over there? It never seemed to become available here.
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Is it used in the US only? How to get it and use it in other countries?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    anome said:
    So could I sign up for Google Fi next time I'm in the States, and use it for my mobile provider over there? It never seemed to become available here.
    ivanh said:
    Google FI can be used outside the US. I know a family using it. Check the website and/or contact their support people. I’m not using it (and never will). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ivanh said:
    Not sure if you can sign up if you live outside the US (but a quick trip to their website would answer that).

As far as using it outside the US, if you're going to be traveling through multiple countries it's a *really* convenient solution vs. buying multiple local SIMs or being a T-Mobile customer (which is free 2G data, Fi is 4G data).]

The only thing that keeps me from using it as my US provider too is that they use T-Mobile/Sprint/US Cellular's network in the US, which where I live just isn't good.
    libertyforallcaladaniantokyojimu
  • Reply 5 of 9
    JackyChanJackyChan Posts: 13unconfirmed, member
    Too bad there is no network switching for iPhones so if you have an iPhone you’re just buying a TMobile account when you get Google Fi. 
    libertyforallaaarrrggghforgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    So you can do different phone numbers on different networks, but you can’t switch between cellular data networks on iPhone?!  Time to lobby Apple for that feature then!:  https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

JackyChan said:
    Too bad there is no network switching for iPhones so if you have an iPhone you’re just buying a TMobile account when you get Google Fi. 

forgot username
  • Reply 7 of 9
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    rob53 said:
    anome said:
    ivanh said:
    Google FI can be used outside the US. I know a family using it. Check the website and/or contact their support people. I’m not using it (and never will). 
    Website still seems to say "US Only". It works in Australia, but doesn't look like you can sign up for it without a US address.

If I were desperate, I could possibly get a US address to work with, but not sure it's worth the effort.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    libertyforall said:
    So you can do different phone numbers on different networks, but you can’t switch between cellular data networks on iPhone?!  Time to lobby Apple for that feature then!:  https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
    JackyChan said:
    It's a Google limitation. Any phone using Google Fi which isn't "Designed for Fi" only gets service from T-Mobile in the US.
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra