HBO pulls Apple TV Channels integration following HBO Max debut

Posted:
in iOS
Hours after HBO launched its long-awaited HBO Max app on iOS, Apple TV and other platforms on Wednesday, the AT&T-owned company has pulled streaming integration with Apple TV Channels.

HBO Channels
Advertisements for HBO Max have taken over HBO in Apple TV Channels.

One of the first major cable networks to sign on to Apple TV Channels, HBO is no longer available to new users accessing Apple's collaborative streaming hub.

Existing customers who signed up for HBO's streaming service through Apple TV Channels will retain access to the provider's content through the TV app. The situation could change in the coming months as HBO pares down its various streaming offerings in a move to consolidate and push users to HBO Max. Users are already being herded toward Max, as advertisements for the new service are plastered across the HBO section of Channels.

It should be noted that Channels programming does not include new shows, movies and specials created or purchased for HBO Max. For example, users attempting to access Looney Tunes cartoons in Channels are directed to download HBO Max via the App Store. Those who subscribed through Channels can, however, use their Apple ID to authenticate the new, and more expansive, HBO Max app which debuted today.

Apple TV Channels was introduced alongside iOS 12.3 in 2019 as an alternative to dedicated streaming apps. Integration with Channels allows users sign up and subscribe to a variety of premium television and streaming services in one place, thereby making standalone apps unnecessary.

HBO was among the first batch of paid cable providers to offer support for Channels when the system debuted. At the time, it was the only place HBO users were able to download content for offline viewing.
Scot1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 100member
    Pretty shitty move. I was actually expecting  they were going to upgrade the channel to Max over Disney and Peacock (which at this point I don’t expect them to do a TV channel either). Give users the option to keep things within the TV App or not. Lame. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrasuperkloton
  • Reply 2 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    It's possible that Channels/TV app integration will return at some point, once the transition is fully complete, I would think. The TV app has done a lot for HBO in terms of making potential subscribers more aware of what's on there in the past, so there's some reason to think that this might be temporary as they change horses.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    Glad I just finished with my annual 1 month HBO subscription. Awful move AT&T. Good luck with new subscribers.
    jgreg728F_Kent_Dwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    I’m really confused at this point. My roommate is paying a premium for cable service and these channels are now serving up their shit shows and are asking viewers to pay for their good content. Stars, Showtime, are a couple that have removed their content. Now HBO. It’s disappointing to say the least. 
    F_Kent_DScot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    mac_dog said:
    I’m really confused at this point. My roommate is paying a premium for cable service and these channels are now serving up their shit shows and are asking viewers to pay for their good content. Stars, Showtime, are a couple that have removed their content. Now HBO. It’s disappointing to say the least. 
    Who is your cable provider? They might get it eventually, they say "stay tuned" — probably a licensing deal.

https://www.hbomax.com/do-i-already-have-access

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mac_dog said:
    I still haven’t cut the cord completely and subscribe to Spectrum cable service that includes HBO. I had been using the HBO GO app to watch HBO on demand. I downloaded the HBO Max app, signed in with my Spectrum credentials and voilà I’m in. Looks interesting and even has TCM (Turner Classic Movies) content which I love. Of course all the DC movies are there too.  
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    I have the HBO channels subscription, and followed the email's instructions on how to get access to HBO Max -- you download the stand-alone app and either create an account or use an existing one, and you sign in with those credentials. I had one previously from when I used to subscribe to the HBO Now app. 

However, this is a step backwards, IMO. The beauty of channels integration is auto-sharing with Family Plan members -- they don't need an app, or credentials, they just have the channel in their "TV" UI, seamlessly. Now I'm going to have to tell them to download another app, and give them my credentials. Gross.

Also, in 10 minutes of nosing around, I saw very, very little of interest in HBO Max -- the biggest draws were HBO's programming. The "originals" to Max had absolutely nothing of interest (all 4 of them). A catalog of old movies was uninteresting. Their Rick & Morty library doesn't include the current season...pfft. Yay, more re-runs.

People love to bag on Apple, but Apple's launch of an entirely new offering was much more interesting than AT&T's despite all the experience and entertainment resources AT&T commands.  
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,333member
    I'm feeling overwhelmed by the glut of all-you-can-eat streaming buffets all serving what eventually turns out to be rather mediocre fare. Sure, you'll find one or things that you like on each one and gorge yourself on them for a short period of time, but then the rest just kind of sits there growing moldy and decaying from lack of interest. There are only so many hours in the day and do you really want to spend them all in couch potato mode? The more that is added the less and less valuable it seems. Eventually we'll have an infinite supply of nearly meaningless content to choose from to fill that last little 0.2% of our available free time that's not already locked into other subscriptions of some kind or another. Progress I guess, but progress towards what?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    I watched everything on HBO that interests me from the last 6-12 months in about 2 weeks.There is some niche content like Studio Ghibli that I don't care about. Other than that, it looks like old movies and TV show re-runs. Are people really willing to pay $15/month for Friends re-runs?
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jkmutahjkmutah Posts: 10member
    Streaming services are moving completely backwards.  I think the idea of "Channels" was the right step so you could "subscribe" only to the content you wanted in a consistent interface.  People are refusing to give Apple control over there content afraid they might miss out on screwing hard-earned money out of people by making them pay for a bunch of content they'll never watch.  Honestly, I watch content on about 6 channels.  I would rather "subscribe" to those 6 channels and watch the content commercial free.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra