Apple supply chain gearing up for 'iPhone 12' production in July

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Industry sources claim that Apple's flagship iPhone production schedule is starting up soon, with production of the "iPhone 12" starting a bit later than normal in July.

Renders of the iPhone 12 (Source: iPhone_lov_er on Instagram)
Renders of the iPhone 12 (Source: iPhone_lov_er on Instagram)

Following multiple reports that Apple will have a similar launch window to the iPhone X for the "iPhone 12," sources within the manufacturing supply chain are saying that production will be starting soon. Where the iPhone production in previous years for the fall flagship model has historically started in May or early June, the 2020 models will reportedly start being produced in July or even August.

According to Digitimes, this mass production is specifically of the 6.1-inch "iPhone 12" models. Apple is reportedly planning to release a total of four models in the "iPhone 12" range, with two having this 6.1-inch screen size.

Those are believed to be an update to the current iPhone 11 Pro and a new "iPhone 12 Max." While manufacturing dates are not known or referred to in this new report, the "iPhone 12" is due to have a 5.4-inch display, and the "iPhone 12 Pro Max" is expected to have a 6.7-inch screen.

The expected later start to production and announcement is attributed to the impact of the coronavirus on not just supply, but demand.

Digitimes has a poor track record in predicting specific features of Apple products. However, the venue is a good source of macro data from suppliers and manufacturers within Apple's supply chain.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    My stimulus check is waiting patiently to be put to good use.
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I still find that my iPhone 10s Max more than meets my every need and then some. I suppose if I was still sitting on an iPhone 7 or 8 I would feel differently. But let's admit it, the biggest splash of new features on the last few rounds of iPhone updates has primarily been around camera functionality. Every iPhone since the iPhone 4s has come with a great camera that meets the needs of 95% of smartphone users. The yearly iPhone updates aren't really that exciting anymore because they've pretty much flattened the curve on new features and are just incrementally improving what's already there and tweaking performance and capacity. Upgrade fatigue? Too much predictability? Too much focus on cameras? 

Yeah, I'm absolutely daring Apple to wow me with something totally unexpected (in a great way) that doesn't leak out six months ahead of time and land on Android two months after Apple's release. 

Now what I WOULD be very excited to see this year from Apple would be a very significant iMac update that pulls in some of the virtues of the Pro Display XDR. Like I said, some but not all XDR special sauce, because I don't want to break the bank on an iMac. The current iMac is a beautiful machine, but I now find myself having to add the word "classic" to its description, which is telling.

• Reply 3 of 3
    If you aren't interested in the camera updates then you are likely not going to be impressed by new iPhones. The focus on quality picture taking is in no way unique to Apple, all the flagship products make it a priority. The camera is without a doubt the most used feature on smart phones. The iPhone is the most popular camera on Flicker and you have to drop to number 8 on that list to get the next smartphone. Apple knows what it is doing by putting so much emphasis on the camera. Now, that certainly may not be the killer feature for you and that is totally fair but it also means you are likely not going to be super jazzed by what Apple focuses on in with new phones. Personally I love seeing what Apple can do next with the camera system and can't tell you a time in recent memory that I have been disappointed.