2012 MacBook Pro with Retina displays obsolete on June 30

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Apple will soon add 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display models produced in Mid 2012 to its list of obsolete devices, and will be ineligible for hardware service at Apple locations.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The specific MacBook Pro model will be added to the company's list of "vintage and obsolete devices" on June 30, 2020, according to an internal memo. The obsolescence comes about eight years after the product's first release.

Apple defines "obsolete" devices as those that have discontinued for more than seven years. "Vintage" devices, on the other hand, are products not manufactured by the company for more than five years but fewer than seven.

Obsolete products are not eligible for hardware services at Apple Store and authorized repair locations, with "no exceptions." Because of that, users who require repair on the soon-to-be-obsolete model should book an appointment as soon as possible. MacRumors was the first to report on the departure from support on Monday morning.

In May, Apple also added certain 11- and 13-inch MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro models to the list.

This specific 2012 MacBook Pro model was the first to sport a Retina display. They also featured a thinner body but, unlike past models, did not come with an internal optical disc drive or Ethernet port.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bakerzdosenbakerzdosen Posts: 181member
    Man, what a difference a year makes. My old 2011 15" MBP went obsolete 3.5 years ago.
    watto_cobrajcs2305
  • Reply 2 of 4
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Man, what a difference a year makes. My old 2011 15" MBP went obsolete 3.5 years ago.
    I went for the Retina model not long after they came out in the hope that as a new model it would be supported for the longest time - I haven’t been disappointed. 

I’m still really pleased with it performance wise and hope that it will give me many more years of service!!
    minicoffeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    adyb said:
    I went for the Retina model not long after they came out in the hope that as a new model it would be supported for the longest time - I haven’t been disappointed. 

I’m still really pleased with it performance wise and hope that it will give me many more years of service!!
    I just traded mine in with Apple/Phobio for more than some new (Not so great) computers/laptops sell for, albeit really cheap one, though @ 8 years old, it would probably still perform better than them! 😂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    I am still happily using my early 2007 17-inch MacBook Pro, and it still serves the purpose very well.