Eufy delays HomeKit update to implement HomeKit Secure Video

Posted:
in General Discussion
Eufy, maker of affordable DIY security kits, has said they will push back the update that will add HomeKit support until mid-July, so they may also add support for HomeKit Secure Video.

Eufy delays HomeKit update to implement HomeKit Secure Video

Eufy posted an announcement on their blog on Tuesday, apologizing for the ongoing delay of their HomeKit implementation. The delay, however, brings with it a bit of good news. Rather than simply making their Indoor Cam HomeKit compatible, they're also going to implement HomeKit Secure Video.

Apple's HomeKit Secure Video allows smart home device users to encrypt security camera feeds end-to-end and securely store those videos within iCloud.

Eufy has plans to bring the full HomeKit experience to its customers by mid-July. Once launched, users will be able to take advantage of HomeKit features -- such as controlling the camera with Siri -- and the additional peace of mind that comes with HomeKit Secure Video.

Apple launched HomeKit Secure Video in iCloud as part of iOS 13, though support didn't fully arrive until iOS 13.2 in October. For the first time, users can store video footage without leaving Apple's ecosystem, negating the need for third-party hosting services.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    Do you have an official link about HomeKit support for the video doorbell?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The Eufy Cam 2 already supports HomeKit Secure Video. It really works well. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    I don’t know why eufy would implement Secure video in iCloud because cameras shown in pictures have internal storage and every other cam they make has internal storage it’s free and works well. iCloud is not free and to connect your own cam, you must buy 200GB, these are motion cams, they don’t need that much storage. Eufy can work with home kit. Which is cool I guess. The entire line of security cameras was designed to work without external storage, but now they are adding iCloud storage it makes no sense?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sergioz said:
    I don’t know why eufy would implement Secure video in iCloud because cameras shown in pictures have internal storage and every other cam they make has internal storage it’s free and works well. iCloud is not free and to connect your own cam, you must buy 200GB, these are motion cams, they don’t need that much storage. Eufy can work with home kit. Which is cool I guess. The entire line of security cameras was designed to work without external storage, but now they are adding iCloud storage it makes no sense?
    Let me just quickly steal your security camera, with storage and all, and then we can discuss the merits of iCloud storage from your new and enlightened perspective…
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    svanstrom said:
    sergioz said:
    Let me just quickly steal your security camera, with storage and all, and then we can discuss the merits of iCloud storage from your new and enlightened perspective…

it’s not how eufy cam works!
    You can steal it any time, but by that time, I’ll have video of you on my phone. And believe it or not it has been stolen before, eufy replaces them for free when it happens.

The point I was making is that eufy cams are  motion activated that use roughly 16GB for entire year of video snippets. iCloud would be great for someone who uses continuous surveillance cams like Nest. 

It’s as stupid as people that buy motion activated cameras with batteries to only plug them in to power source and use them as continuous surveillance cams. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sergioz said:
    svanstrom said:
    sergioz said:

it’s not how eufy cam works!
    You can steal it any time, but by that time, I’ll have video of you on my phone.
    Well, you didn't understand why Eufy would implement that feature, and apparently that is because you always keep your phone with you, your phone always has functioning internet, and your apartment always has functioning internet.

That's not the reality for everyone.

Even ignoring that things will temporarily stop functioning from time to time for all of us, there are lots of situations where lots of people simply aren't always keeping their phone with them and/or online; like when on airplanes, on vacation, at the beach, working out, at locations with spotty coverage, when the battery dies, or they (like me) sometimes leave almost all tech at home (in my case because I sometimes don't need more than my cellular AW and AirPods).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Apple_BarApple_Bar Posts: 134member
    sergioz said:
    Because it is a very good move for them to make their products compatible with HomeKit and HSV. Even if the cameras use a few MBs again customers will have the option to use the cameras on the system of their choice/liking. They aren’t killing external storage and forcing you to go iCloud. It is up to the user to choose which approach they like. The majority of Apple users will prefer the integration of all their devices within the home app.
    I have right now 3-2C with HSV and on the eufy app as well. The system needs to be polish though because I want an option to disable eufy app because it gets crazy getting notification from both apps.

Now I understand the Logitech approach of disabling the circle app if you want to use HomeKit because currently you get notifications from the home app and eufy app. In the guide I have there should be a toggle to disable the eufy app but when I go to where is supposed to be is not there so maybe is still in the works. 

Also eufy users with HomeKit and HSV be aware. If you reset eufy and delete the app. You can add directly to the Home app just by scanning the code on the homebase so it will work nicely only with the home app. BUT this is what I discover and its kind of a privacy flaw that needs to be fix. Lets say you delete the eufy app and you are working everything fine with the home app. Your friend/family member comes to your house and they are eufy users meaning they have the app on their phone and connect to your network. The eufy app will recognize the homebase on the same network even if it’s currently to the home app and it will add the homebase/cameras to that eufy app as well and if you are lucky like I was you will be in the same room and hear the confirmation “homebase was added successfully” but you dont have the app? Sooo it was added to the eufy app on the friends phone because it is connected to the same network. I try it on my Parents ipad and same thing. So if you want to try homekit secure video while they polish it just make sure you added in both places to prevent that nosy Friend/Family gain access to your indoor/outdoor views. Which during covid means views with lots of UW, out of control beard and out of control hair.  
    watto_cobra