Rumor claims future Apple Pencil will come in black

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
A new generation of Apple Pencil could be available in a black color option, according to an Apple hardware collector on Twitter.

There haven't been any rumors about a potential Apple Pencil refresh, though the stylus was last updated in 2018 alongside an iPad Pro overhaul, three years after it first debuted in 2015. Currently, the Apple Pencil is only available in white.

On Tuesday, Twitter user Mr. white (@laobaiTD) posted a vague statement that the "New Apple Pencil is Black."

New Apple Pencil is Black

-- Mrwhite (@laobaiTD)

Because of the lack of information, it isn't clear when a third-generation Apple Pencil could launch, or what the speculation is based on. The iPad Pro lineup was updated in March 2020, though Apple is said to be developing mini LED variants of its professional tablets.

Per a recent supply chain report and a forecast by reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the first mini LED iPad models might not launch until 2021.

Based on the Apple Pencil having been refreshed three years after its launch, it's possible that a new generation could arrive alongside those updated tablets.

Mr white isn't a well-known Apple product leaker, but his Twitter account is filled with quite the collection of Apple hardware prototypes plus engineering validation and testing (EVT) samples.
svanstrom

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Sounds good to me. I'm currently still using the first gen white Apple pencil with my 10.5 Pro and everything is still working great and as smooth as can be.

I might be getting the 2021 Pro 12.9 (or larger) and I'll definitely pick up a black Apple pencil for it, if that's an option. 

But why black though? You'd figure that it would be space grey or something. Either way, I don't care what it's called, I'll choose the darker color over white.
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 2 of 19
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Can’t innovate anymore, my ass!” - Phil Schilller
    TRAG
  • Reply 3 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I'm a fan of that...
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Yellow like an actual pencil might be kind of neat. 
    llama
  • Reply 5 of 19
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I like the idea. A darker colour, like black, or grey would be more like a real pencil. Even better, a matte finish. I find the AP a bit slippery at times. 
    hypoluxa
  • Reply 6 of 19
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 53member
    You can get skins like that if you are interested. I see them on YouTube reviews etc. Not quite the same but they exist if you want them.
    MustSeeUHDTV
  • Reply 7 of 19
    hentaiboy said:
    “Can’t innovate anymore, my ass!” - Phil Schilller
    Who claimed that offering a darker color is an innovation? Oh, that's right, nobody did.

The Apple pencil is awesome, I use it often, and I just have the first gen version. The second gen is obviously even better.

Apple has done plenty of innovating with it already, and just having the choice of another color is a nice little option to have.

You go use whatever garbage pencil or stylus you like, and I'll continue using the ultra-innovative Apple pencil, with its super low latency that is made for artists and anybody else who likes the feel and ultra low latency response.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    This one seems unlikely. As with Ear/AirPods, Apple has chosen to go with a distinctive look that immediately tells everyone you're using an Apple product (even if in fact you are using a crappy Chinese knockoff, the impression is still the same). While I would personally prefer a space-grey/black Apple Pencil 2 (3?), it would then look pretty much like every other stylus out there, so I can't see them doing that.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    DAalseth said:
    I like the idea. A darker colour, like black, or grey would be more like a real pencil. Even better, a matte finish. I find the AP a bit slippery at times. 

I second that sentiment.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    hypoluxa said:
    DAalseth said:

I second that sentiment.
    I put a rubber grip from a regular pen on my Apple pencil and I quite like the feel of it.

I went to Staples and bought a bunch of different pens, because I wasn't sure about the size and what would fit, and when I came home, I destroyed them all and removed the rubber grips from the pens and I found one that fit really nice and I've been using that for a while now.

But, yeah, I agree that the next Apple pencil should have a non glossy finish, so modifications would not be needed.
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 11 of 19
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    What chance black or really dark grey AirPods Pro down the track?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Apple Pencil Pro. Same functionality, but in black. Only $49.90 more.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    with a black rubber tip. 
  • Reply 14 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    How about a ‘universal’ pencil that works with all iPads?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Not going to happen, but I’d like to see a smaller stylus that works with the big-screen iPhones. 
  • Reply 16 of 19
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    I hope this is optional. Will say white AND black/grey
  • Reply 17 of 19
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    I for one welcome this great technological breakthrough. Imagine a pencil in black! — why I never thought to see this day. Heartfelt thanks to AI for this insightful and hard-hitting investigative reporting.
    mubaili
  • Reply 18 of 19
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    anything pro should have a black color option. I am talking to you, AirPods Pro. Yes you.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    neilm said:
    I for one welcome this great technological breakthrough. Imagine a pencil in black! — why I never thought to see this day. Heartfelt thanks to AI for this insightful and hard-hitting investigative reporting.
    Haha, funny.