iCloud outage impacts Mail, web apps, more [u: fixed]

Posted:
in iCloud edited June 2020
Apple's iCloud is experiencing unknown issues that in some cases prevents users from accessing the cloud storage and syncing service, as well as other products like Mail and certain web apps.

iCloud Down

Problems began at around 7 p.m. Eastern, with impacted users taking to Apple's support forums to report the issue.

An update to Apple's system status webpage reveals multiple outages including iCloud Account & Sign In, iCloud Mail and iCloud Web Apps. Users attempting to access Mail on their iOS or Mac devices are met with login authentication roadblocks, while iCloud.com is completely inaccessible for some.

Certain apps that require Apple ID authentication are also affected, with in-app verification and app-specific passwords not functioning as intended. Some users are also reporting verification failures that trigger a pop-up reading, "The application you have selected does not exist." These problems appear to be tied to Apple ID's backend.

It is unclear what caused the issue or how many users are affected by downtime.

Apple has yet to comment on the difficulties and does not offer an estimate as to when the service will regain functionality.

Update 8:11 p.m. EDT: Apple has resolved the hour-long issue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    This bit me. At least this explains why I couldn't associate my XCode installation with my Apple ID. I got the "The application you have selected does not exist." error, called into Apple developer support line, waited for 15 minutes, finally got a support person who accessed my machine remotely, repeated the scenario, and surprisingly everything worked - duh. The support person probably thought I was a bit crazy, but at least now I know what happened and know that the issue was not on my end. Whomever came up with that "helpful" error message should be sent to bed without supper. Not helpful at all.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    As of 9:05 ET I seem to have no trouble using iCloud services, iCloud.com, and Mail.
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 3 of 5
    GoboRockGoboRock Posts: 4member
    This literally hit be just as I was checking out on Uber Eats which blocked my Apple Pay checkout as a result. After futzing with it trying to login I just put my card on file directly with Uber Eats to complete checkout. I get is was only an hour but, I doubt I will go through the trouble to switch my default back to Apple Pay, 
  • Reply 4 of 5
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    GoboRock said:
    This literally hit be just as I was checking out on Uber Eats which blocked my Apple Pay checkout as a result. After futzing with it trying to login I just put my card on file directly with Uber Eats to complete checkout. I get is was only an hour but, I doubt I will go through the trouble to switch my default back to Apple Pay, 
    And if an airplane is late you never travel by airplane again, if a banana is bad you never eat bananas again, if your shoes break you never wear shoes again…?!

If changing the default of how you pay is such a trouble you either have more serious problems to deal with, or it just doesn't matter at all to you; so… I'm curious, which of those makes it important for you to write about it here?  ;)
    fastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 5
    svanstrom said:
    GoboRock said:
    And if an airplane is late you never travel by airplane again, if a banana is bad you never eat bananas again, if your shoes break you never wear shoes again…?!

If changing the default of how you pay is such a trouble you either have more serious problems to deal with, or it just doesn't matter at all to you; so… I'm curious, which of those makes it important for you to write about it here?  ;)
    Last banana I ever ate was crooked. Did I miss anything?
     ;)