Apple sued for '$2 priceless trillion' following 2018 iPhone repair

Posted:
in iPhone
A man has attempted to sue Apple, claiming that the company kept his iPhone after a repair, and used "special features" on his phone to develop features in iOS.

Apple Saint Louis Galleria, named in the filings
Apple Saint Louis Galleria, named in the filings

Filings on June 1 by Raevon Terrell Parker in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri accuse Apple of taking his iPhone away from him. Parker's centers around a repair of an iPhone in October 2018, but the claims quickly veer into unusual territory.

Parker asserts he went to the Saint Louis Galleria Apple Store to fix an issue with his smartphone, detailed in other supporting documents as an iPhone 7. The store staff fixed the iPhone, but Parker claims they "kept it by deceiving the plaintiff knowing that it was the first phone to have new features," and instead provided a replacement iPhone.

Parker explaining the reason for the lawsuit in his own words.
Parker explaining the reason for the lawsuit in his own words.

Related filings concerning an earlier attempt to sue Apple over the matter indicates a number of other issues Parker has with the repair, including the loss of phone settings, the "resetting of passwords," and redownloading App Store purchases.

Furthermore, the supposed "new features" seemingly includes having the iPhone set up to "bypass certain start-up load screen options," which enables the iPhones to "communicate with other devices faster and more accurately. A bolder claim in the earlier legal action includes a request for Parker to be compensated for the "discovery of the Group FaceTime feature."

These features apparently aided Apple in "the creation of iOS 12," which Parker believed he was due to be compensated over in the earlier lawsuit.

Parker's earlier valuation of items claimed under the previous lawsuit attempt.
Parker's earlier valuation of items claimed under the previous lawsuit attempt.

The earlier filing, dated March 28, 2019, included a valuation of the iPhone 7 in question at $1 trillion, iOS 12 at $1 trillion, "Raevon Terrell Parker's mentality" as "priceless," and with a total amount claimed for materials of "$2 priceless trillion USD." A further $900 is charged for rental of the iPhone 7 by Apple, bringing the total claims amount to "$2 trillion and $900 USD and a priceless item."

The 2019 lawsuit was dismissed by the court in May 2019, after Apple successfully convinced a judge that the complaint failed to state a motion. For the newer lawsuit, Parker also oddly included a filing claiming that he owned the patents for "iOS 12.0.1 and later" and "iOS 13 and later."

As for relief, Parker again wants $1 trillion from Apple, "due to hospitalizations, travel, distress, humiliation, embarrassment, [and] defamation of character." Parker further suggests "I don't think that the plaintiff can be compensated for being labeled crazy."

At the time of publication, no court date has been set for the lawsuit to proceed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Somebody isn't taking their meds. Funny how our culture celebrates insanity.
    beeble42neo-techwilliamlondonF_Kent_DSpamSandwichrandominternetpersondamn_its_hotmagman1979viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 39
    alanhalanh Posts: 75member
    lkrupp said:

Maybe your culture celebrates it, mine does not! Seriously though Mr Parker really ought to be prescribed something stronger and his lawyer should have delivered him to the loony bin, not represented him, that is assuming he has one!
    F_Kent_DSpamSandwichTomEdamn_its_hotmuthuk_vanalingammwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    alanh said:
    lkrupp said:

Maybe your culture celebrates it, mine does not! Seriously though Mr Parker really ought to be prescribed something stronger and his lawyer should have delivered him to the loony bin, not represented him, that is assuming he has one!
    His lawyer should be disbarred immediately. Probably thinks he can get a few grand from Apple to go away. He may be right.
    F_Kent_DTomEdamn_its_hotagilealtitudemagman1979viclauyycmwhitewatto_cobratycho_macuser
  • Reply 4 of 39
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    I think he must be off his rockers. 
    damn_its_hotmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 39
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,041member
    I think we should assume he has no lawyer. Hand written complaint ..... He requested that the court fees be waived in “forma pauperis.”
    damn_its_hotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 39
    lkrupp said:
    Where is this being celebrated? 

There is nothing here that would warrant a lawyer being disbarred and that is kind of irrelevant as he is representing himself. 
  • Reply 7 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Making fake 9-11 calls is a crime and making fake lawsuits should also be a crime.

This person is obviously a mental case who is behind numerous other cases that have been dismissed.

The lawsuit should immediately be dismissed and the plaintiff should be charged with a hefty fine to cover all fees and if it were up to me, jail time would also be included.

In the good old days, we used to lock up the mentally insane. Now, we allow them to walk around in public.
    dhawkins541magman1979lkruppviclauyycmwhitewatto_cobratycho_macuser
  • Reply 8 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    What lawyer took this case?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 39
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    This guy should write a book (on a napkin) take a picture of it, and upload it to Facebook.

Then, he could sue a random publisher, Facebook, and everyone who visited Facebook (while the picture was visible).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 39
    I do love the math.

$1,000,000,000,000 + $1,000,000,000,000 + priceless = $2 priceless trillion.  Makes sense to me.  And I'm glad he clarified USD.  2 priceless trillion Canadian dollars won't cut it.
    edited June 2020 dewmedamn_its_hotDogpersonstompymagman1979MacPromuthuk_vanalingamviclauyycRokeBeedellwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,038member

apple ][ said:
    Making fake 9-11 calls is a crime and making fake lawsuits should also be a crime. [...]

In the good old days, we used to lock up the mentally insane. Now, we allow them to walk around in public.
    You have no comprehension of how the legal system works, evidently. There is no such thing as a "fake" lawsuit. A plaintiff can make a claim and present it to a court, and it is up to the court to determine whether it has merit and evaluate the claims of the case. Sometimes the court rules in the plaintiff's favor, sometimes the defendant's. It's not fake. 

We can talk to Reagan about why the mentally ill aren't hospitalized and receiving treatment; he repealed the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980 in...1981, the first year he was in office. The mentally ill weren't a concern for him and his supporters in congress.
    edited June 2020 xyzzy01dewmeDogpersonbageljoeymuthuk_vanalingamviclauyycchasmsvanstromapplguyurahara
  • Reply 12 of 39
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    I do love the math.

$1,000,000,000,000 + $1,000,000,000,000 + priceless = $2 priceless trillion.  Makes sense to me.  And I'm glad he clarified USD.  2 priceless trillion Canadian dollars won't cut it.
    It seems to me that he wants to take control of Apple. He wants more than their market capitalisation which to me means he wants the whole schebang.
    Madness but IANAL.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 39
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,957member
    apple ][ said:
    Making fake 9-11 calls is a crime and making fake lawsuits should also be a crime.
    I believe there is a principle that covers this. It’s called Malicious Prosecution or simply Abuse of the Court. It’s been used a couple of times that I’m aware of against people that keep filing what are called Vexatious Suits. 
    Anilu_777DogpersonstompychasmRokeBeedellwatto_cobratycho_macuser
  • Reply 14 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,658member
    This sounds strikingly similar to behaviors exhibited by someone suffering from Capgras Delusion, but applied to a personal object rather another person. I hope he gets the help he needs, but it won’t be in the form of trillions of dollars from Apple.
    edited June 2020 Anilu_777viclauyycchasmRokeBeedellwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

apple ][ said:
    Making fake 9-11 calls is a crime and making fake lawsuits should also be a crime. [...]

You have no comprehension of how the legal system works, evidently. There is no such thing as a "fake" lawsuit. A plaintiff can make a claim and present it to a court, and it is up to the court to determine whether it has merit and evaluate the claims of the case. Sometimes the court rules in the plaintiff's favor, sometimes the defendant's. It's not fake. 

We can talk to Reagan about why the mentally ill aren't hospitalized and receiving treatment; he repealed the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980 in...1981, the first year he was in office. The mentally ill weren't a concern for him and his supporters in congress.
    I know how the legal system works, and I stated that if it were up to me, I would change it, as it is not perfect, nothing is. There are various people and entities that abuse the law system and I believe that there should be consequences for repeat offenders and serial abusers.
    magman1979viclauyycRokeBeedellwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 39
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,036member
    Contrary to his claim Apple couldn’t compensate him for his damages, I suggest residence in a rubber room would be appropriate compensation. 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 569member
    Any lawyer who would take this case is abusing their client. The mentally ill need help, not to be taken advantage of. These claims cost the plaintiff large sums of money and get him nothing. 
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 39
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,475member
    Definitely schizophrenic. I know one guy who were pretty delusional and claimed things that simply do not exist or happen.  
    svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 39
    JBSloughJBSlough Posts: 92member
    I swear I thought that was an Onion headline. 
    Dogpersonhammeroftruthlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 39
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,041member

apple ][ said:

You can't talk to Reagan as he is dead, but you could talk to his successors including Clinton and Obama and their supporters in Congress who did nothing to reverse it.  I guess that wasn't a priority.
    lkruppbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra