Apple should buy DuckDuckGo to limit reliance on Google, analyst says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Just another analyst trying to get his name out there to solve a non-problem using Apple as the foil. Most users couldn't give a fig about having Google as their default search engine (for which Apple gets paid handsomely). In fact, I am guessing most users actually welcome it.

Anyone who wants to use DuckDuckGo can easily and painlessly do so on any Apple device. Including using DDG's browser, if they so choose.

CloudTalkinwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 27
    DogpersonDogperson Posts: 145member
    Most users couldn't give a fig about having Google as their default search engine (for which Apple gets paid handsomely). In fact, I am guessing most users actually welcome it.

Anyone who wants to use DuckDuckGo can easily and painlessly do so on any Apple device. Including using DDG's browser, if they so choose.

Speak for yourself. I stopped using google when I switched to XP. Dont use f_c_book either. DDG usually works well or Bing.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    DAalseth said:
    This is the stupidest idea...
    DDG does not track and we can put some faith in that because it is not owned by a giant tech company, unlike Google or Bing. If Apple bought DDG then it would be assumed they are tracking the data. DDG would lose its raison d'être and those of us that use it would abandon the platform.

The only thing that Apple buying DDG would do is to destroy DDG.
    As a DDG user I agree. We already get censored news from Apple. Last thing I want is censored search requests.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    fastasleep said:
    I've been using DDG for years. If I have any trouble finding what I'm looking for, I can always switch to Google using one of the DDG bangs to tell it to search Google instead, like "testing 123 !g" (there are many other bangs you can use to search particular sites etc). 
    Oh, thanks! I guess I should read the manual. :) I'll have to try that.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    ... Most users couldn't give a fig about having Google as their default search engine (for which Apple gets paid handsomely). In fact, I am guessing most users actually welcome it. ...
    I agree, but more users are starting to become aware of such things. It is slowly trickling out of geek-land.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    cgWerks said:
    ... Most users couldn't give a fig about having Google as their default search engine (for which Apple gets paid handsomely). In fact, I am guessing most users actually welcome it. ...
    I agree, but more users are starting to become aware of such things. It is slowly trickling out of geek-land.
    Yeah, but he's right.  Most don't care.  That awareness barely registers a blip on the radar. DDG is still in geek-land.  By and large, Google is still the world's search engine.
    https://gs.statcounter.com/search-engine-market-share

Their data is searchable by region.  To see DDG influence, you need to search by US, Canada, or N. America.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 27 of 27
    DDG has been my default search engine for a year or so now.  98% of the time it's all I need.  On occasion I'll try Google if I'm not finding something but it's rare.  I'll take that ratio to avoid Creepy Google.

And I agree, Apple should buy them and then work on their own web crawler.
    cgWerks