Apple TV+'s 'Dickinson' wins Peabody 30 entertainment award

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's historical comedy-drama "Dickinson" has brought home a Peabody Award for the Cupertino tech giant.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The Apple TV+ original was one of 10 winners in the Peabody 30's entertainment category. This year, Peabody said that there were more than 1,300 entries from the television, podcasts and radio, and web spheres.

Notably, "Dickinson" marks the first time that Apple's premium subscription streaming service has won a Peabody Award.

Apple TV+ first launched in November 2019. Although it features a smaller slate of content than its competitors, Apple spends more on each show than rivals and focuses on prestige, award-worthy shows and films.

About eight months into its run, that strategy appears to have paid off -- at least for one show. "The Morning Show" earned three Golden Globe awards, three Screen Actors Guild awards, and a Critics Choice award.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Do awards translate into subscribers?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    XedXed Posts: 2,611member
    Huh. And I just read on another thread that Apple's nascent service was just an abject failure that they should shutdown all their services.

Of course. Anything that advertises something as above average will increase interest. Whether that's a significant increase or a longterm interest remains to be seen. The series isn't for me, but I did watch the first episode and it was good. Other series they offer are more my speed. I especially like Home. That said, I wouldn't pay for the service if it hadn't been offered to me with my iPhone purchase but it's still a new service and since they didn't purchase a backlog of countless hours of programming (which is mostly stuff people don't want to watch) it will take longer to build than Disney+… but that's not a bad thing.
    StrangeDayschasmlolliver
  • Reply 3 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,905member
    Generally, yes, the more awards an entertainment item, franchise, or brand achieves, the more interest in it. That's just common sense. It's why film festivals exist and why winners print their accolades on their cover art and product pages.

Do you have data to share that suggests DOOM for Apple, that we should all be wringing our hands over?
    edited June 2020 lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,905member

Xed said:
    Huh. And I just read on another thread that Apple's nascent service was just an abject failure that they should shutdown all their services.

Of course. Anything that advertises something as above average will increase interest. Whether that's a significant increase or a longterm interest remains to be seen. The series isn't for me, but I did watch the first episode and it was good. Other series they offer are more my speed. I especially like Home. That said, I wouldn't pay for the service if it hadn't been offered to me with my iPhone purchase but it's still a new service and since they didn't purchase a backlog of countless hours of programming (which is mostly stuff people don't want to watch) it will take longer to build than Disney+… but that's not a bad thing.
    Agreed on that -- after having all the HBO Max marketing blasted at me, I've poked around the app....Am I supposed to be excited by old classic movies and sitcom reruns? There's just not much there of interest, other than the HBO series we've all come to enjoy. The "Max" portion is "min", IMO.

As long as Apple TV+ remains $0/5 a month, I have no problem renewing it. It's less than a pint of local beer, lol. Certainly get 5 bucks worth of enjoyment out the several series we've watched so far.
    edited June 2020 chasmlolliver
  • Reply 5 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Xed said:

I’ve never made a point of going to see a single movie in my life because it was an Academy Award winner. Is my experience typical?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    XedXed Posts: 2,611member
    Xed said:
    I’ve never made a point of going to see a single movie in my life because it was an Academy Award winner. Is my experience typical?
    I have. Movies that win awards get talked about. There are plenty of movies that were never on my radar until they were nominated. Sometimes these come back into the theater. Both 1917 and Parasite are films I didn't know anything about until they were nominated for awards. I then seemed the trailer, I liked what I saw, and then decided to watch them (often stopping the trailer the moment I was hooked).
    heythatsalexlolliver
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I generally say no.  At least there's no evidence that suggests winning an award  boosts subs.  Word of mouth seems a better booster of a service than awards.  A buzz worthy show like Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, The Wire, Sopranos or House of Cards gets people talking and increases the desire of others to see what everyone is talking about.  So they sub to the service with the show.

Imo, subs are generated by content that people desire, not awards.  Think about it.  Disney has had great success with gaining subs and there's nary a single best picture winner in the lot.  
    edited June 2020 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 12
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Good for Apple and its Producers.. Congrats..... but that show was never my cup of tea.. not even remotely. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,321member
    It would seem that the answer to your question is "no." Films that win the big Academy Awards do often return to the cinema for a second run (if they're not still running at the time), do better on home video/streaming, and are generally thought of as films that won whatever award they won for a good reason. Strong raves from critics and other "word of mouth" absolutely help also, but ... there's a strong correlation between "films that get strong buzz before the Oscars" and "films that are nominated/win Oscars."

To put this another way: Turner Classic Movies puts on a month of only movies that won a major Academy Award (March). It's their Shark Week, i.e. by far the month with the highest ratings.

As for myself personally, if I'm looking for a new film to watch either in the cinema (back in the Before Times) or on streaming, the fact that it won something major definitely gets my attention. I would otherwise never have seen Moonlight, as an example, since it didn't seem like my cup of tea. But that's one of the ways I sometimes find out that I like other cups of tea.

PS. Dickinson started off for me with me not liking the updated format, but it quickly became one of my faves on Apple TV+. But I'm not sure that most of my tastes could match with what passes for "mainstream" these days.
    edited June 2020 Xed
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I think when shows win awards they do help gain viewers and change the way the press talks about a service. A great example of this how Hulu was able to capitalize on a surprise win for The Handsmaids Tale. It changed peoples perception of the quality on Hulu and helped it become something people talked about. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I was really looking forward to this, but was disappointed that this was less comedy and more drama. 
    Ditto for Netflix's "Never Have I Ever". It started off funny but veered into straight up melodrama by the 4th episode.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Xed said:

Nope. If a film wins an award the folk will go see it.