Apple becomes first U.S. company to hit $1.5 trillion market valuation

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Wednesday became the first publicly traded U.S. company to hit a $1.5 trillion market capitalization, with shares of AAPL trading at $352.84 by the end of the day.

The Cupertino tech giant's valuation crossed the threshold during the day on June 10, before closing at a $1.53 trillion market capitalization by end of trading. Shares of Apple closed at $352.84, up 2% on the day. Market capitalization is the share price multiplied by the number of outstanding shares. By the last count, Apple has about 4.3 billion outstanding shares.

Apple was also the first U.S. company in history to hit a market valuation of $1 trillion -- an achievement that it reached in August 2018.

The company's total count of shares has been sliding over the past few years due to aggressive stock buyback programs. The fewer number of shares are reflected in market capitalization calculations, however.

Apple's new milestone came after a strong performance earlier in the week that pushed AAPL to record highs.

All of this comes during a time of economic uncertainty for many due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. While Apple's stock price plunged earlier in the year, the company's road to recovery eventually saw AAPL shares regain its pre-crisis price in May.

According to some analyst predicitons, Apple also has a clear path ahead to becoming the first U.S. company to hit a $2 trillion milestone within the next few years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The Dutch East India Company laughs off in the distance of history ($7.9 trillion inflation adjusted valuation).
    JWSCDAalseth
  • Reply 2 of 18
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Why is 1.5T something need to be mentioned at all? How about 1.6T, 1.7T, 1.8T, 1.9T?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 18
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    The Dutch East India Company laughs off in the distance of history ($7.9 trillion inflation adjusted valuation).
    Shut up. Your"Apple wasn't first" comment is just as pathetic as those that come here claiming some half-baked Android feature means Apple sucks. Maybe next time you want to take note that the headline specifically mentions "first U.S. company" which will never apply to DEIC. If there was a government-directed amalgamation of all the tech companies in the US, then they could be much higher than DEIC, but do you really think that's a good idea? Probably, if a certain person tweeted about it.

mubaili said:
    Why is 1.5T something need to be mentioned at all? How about 1.6T, 1.7T, 1.8T, 1.9T?
    It's a milestone. You can have one at 1.60337337283839 trillion if you wanted to, but we choose certain values for reasons that I hope are obvious to you.
    fastasleepF_Kent_Dronnlolliveraderuttersconosciutojony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm waiting on 2 trill!

And when it hits that, we'll just have to move on to the next target!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Xed said:
    Shut up. Your"Apple wasn't first" comment is just as pathetic as those that come here claiming some half-baked Android feature means Apple sucks. Maybe next time you want to take note that the headline specifically mentions "first U.S. company" which will never apply to DEIC. If there was a government-directed amalgamation of all the tech companies in the US, then they could be much higher than DEIC, but do you really think that's a good idea? Probably, if a certain person tweeted about it.

mubaili said:
    It's a milestone. You can have one at 1.60337337283839 trillion if you wanted to, but we choose certain values for reasons that I hope are obvious to you.
    “Shut up”? Welcome to the #BLOCKED.
    JWSCDAalseth
  • Reply 6 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Definitely impolite. Rude even.
    JWSC
  • Reply 7 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    apple ][ said:
    I'm waiting on 2 trill!

Those of us who have been around for most of Apple's forty plus years of existence have endured all the predictions of doom for the company. First it was the Windows fanboys, then the Amiga sycophants, now the Android bozos and the Linux dweebs. Apple should not exist in these people's minds and it messes with their psyches. So excuse some us for our exuberance at the progress made in the last 13 years. 
    SpamSandwichJWSCronnapple ][lolliverJanNLaderuttersconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    lkrupp said:
    apple ][ said:
    I'm waiting on 2 trill!

Those of us who have been around for most of Apple's forty plus years of existence have endured all the predictions of doom for the company. First it was the Windows fanboys, then the Amiga sycophants, now the Android bozos and the Linux dweebs. Apple should not exist in these people's minds and it messes with their psyches. So excuse some us for our exuberance at the progress made in the last 13 years. 
    I just want to be around when Apple unveils their “Transport” and competes with Tesla in the growing self-driving electric vehicle market. I just read Tesla is rapidly approaching Toyota’s market cap(!)
    F_Kent_DJWSCjony0
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Apple will be the first $2 trillion company too. 
    ronnaderuttersconosciutojony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    There really is no particular reason or logic for using the inflation rate as the compounding factor in adjusting stock prices (assuming it even makes sense to compound stick prices). If you’re gong to do compounding, you should use the compounded annual average stock returns during this period. That will result in a massively higher number than $7.9 trillion.   

More generally, market values are what they are, and there is no reason to compound them. 

A better recent comparison may be Saudi Aramco which briefly saw a market cap higher than $1.5 trillion soon after its IPO. Some of us predicted then that its market value will be as fleeting as that of China Petroleum soon after its IPO. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    lkrupp said:
    apple ][ said:
    I'm waiting on 2 trill!

I just want to be around when Apple unveils their “Transport” and competes with Tesla in the growing self-driving electric vehicle market. I just read Tesla is rapidly approaching Toyota’s market cap(!)
    Tesla's market cap is driven by delusional geeks. Given that Tesla is poorly rated against the bigger auto companies for autonomous vehicles, and is seeing massively increased competition, I'm thinking, Tesla really needs to make profits, and vehicles, like Toyota does.

Tesla is now worth more than Toyota, making it the most valuable car manufacturer in the world. Last year, Toyota sold 10.6M cars and made a profit of $19B. Last year, Tesla sold 0.367M cars and lost $862M.

I love bubbles...and bubbleheads.
    DAalsethlollivermuthuk_vanalingamsconosciutojony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Redefining...
    Wait for it...

’Doomed.’
    edited June 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    geekmee said:
    Redefining...
    Wait for it...

’Doomed.’
    I wonder what Michael Dell thinks of the news.
    sconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    What a terrible job Tim Cook is doing, he really should retire! /s
    aderuttersconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    There really is no particular reason or logic for using the inflation rate as the compounding factor in adjusting stock prices (assuming it even makes sense to compound stick prices). If you’re gong to do compounding, you should use the compounded annual average stock returns during this period. That will result in a massively higher number than $7.9 trillion.   

More generally, market values are what they are, and there is no reason to compound them. 

A better recent comparison may be Saudi Aramco which briefly saw a market cap higher than $1.5 trillion soon after its IPO. Some of us predicted then that its market value will be as fleeting as that of China Petroleum soon after its IPO. 
    More to the point (and mentioned the last time he brought up DEIC) that's comparing Apple's stock value to the value of Dutch East India's assets including entire countries.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    And...back down to $1.45T as investors suddenly remembered that we’re in the middle of a global recession...
  • Reply 17 of 18
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    hentaiboy said:
    And...back down to $1.45T as investors suddenly remembered that we’re in the middle of a global recession...
    Wow. I feel poor.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    hentaiboy said:
    $1.46 trillion market cap.