Apple TV+ film 'Greyhound' to premiere on July 10

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple TV+ on Thursday shared its first branded trailer for "Greyhound," an upcoming WWII film starring Tom Hanks that will debut on the Apple streaming service in July.

Credit: TriStar Pictures
Credit: TriStar Pictures

The Apple TV+ original film was originally slated for a theatrical release on Father's Day. Due to the coronavirus, it will now debut in the Apple TV app on Friday, July 10.

Hanks plays Captain George Krause, a naval officer who leads an international armada of ships on a mission to deliver troops and supplies to allied forces during the Battle of the Atlantic. Alongside Hanks, the film will also start Stephen Graham, Rob Morgan and Elisabeth Shue.

Apple purchased the rights to "Greyhound" from Sony in a deal estimated to be worth $70 million. Sony kept the rights to debut the film in China, where it will see a release in theaters.

Currently, Apple's premium streaming platform only has a handful of films -- including "The Banker," "Hala," and "The Elephant Queen. Apple TV+ has been acquiring more feature-length movies since its debut in November 2019, however.

"Greyhound" will mark the first time that a Hanks-led film has debuted on streaming services instead of in theaters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    Is anyone else tapped out when it comes to content? Our biggest problem is sorting through it all.
    There's always excessive content, but how much of that is quality content that piques your interest. This one has my attention.
    allmypeoplelollivernapoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Everything these days looks like a video game. The effects look so fake. It will date these movies and in 20 years they will look as terrible as VHS tape does today. Movies like "Lawrence of Arabia" where all the effects were for real will never age. I'm sure the film will be great as Tom Hanks is the best - I'm just commenting on the Michael Bay looking war scenes. And I agree - there are TOO MANY movies and tv series, etc... they all just get lost in sheer volume.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    Of interest to fans of naval literature, the film "Greyhound" is based on the book "The Good Shepherd" by C.S. Forester.
    napoleon_phoneapartwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 7
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    tmay said:
    Of interest to fans of naval literature, the film "Greyhound" is based on the book "The Good Shepherd" by C.S. Forester.
    I did not know that, thanks for this info.

As for "excessive content," this is not a problem I seem to have, but perhaps this is because I don't have any cable TV. Instead, I've chosen a handful of streaming services to try out that seem aimed at my tastes, which has resulted in a far far lower yearly bill, no commercials, and a far higher ratio of things I'd be interested in. Even then, there's more there than I could possibly watch, but thanks to reviews and word-of-mouth from people I know share my tastes, I find it very easy to get recommendations on the things I really shouldn't miss.

More importantly, dropping cable (and both the resulting rise in discretionary income as well as the lack of TV as an entertainment focus) has resulted in some lifestyle changes: I'm able to both afford and have time for other forms of entertainment, from reading to live theatre and other things that I feel have me living more "in the moment." This is not to knock quality TV shows on services or networks I don't happen to have right now, but as a kid who grew up in the era of TV primacy, it's easy to get sucked into making TV your chief time-killing and/or sole entertainment medium. The truly great shows will always be available to me eventually in some medium, but I'm enjoying having TV not be the primary way I fill the hours between getting home from work and going to sleep.

"Greyhound" looks like its worth a watch. I'll get to it eventually -- luckily Apple bought the rights for many years!
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member
    Is anyone else tapped out when it comes to content? Our biggest problem is sorting through it all.
    Did you forget the "/s" at the end?  Seriously, too much content?  We haven't watched anything new for over a month.  The new stuff drips into ATV+ and about half of those drips are of no interest.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Everything these days looks like a video game. The effects look so fake. It will date these movies and in 20 years they will look as terrible as VHS tape does today. Movies like "Lawrence of Arabia" where all the effects were for real will never age. I'm sure the film will be great as Tom Hanks is the best - I'm just commenting on the Michael Bay looking war scenes. And I agree - there are TOO MANY movies and tv series, etc... they all just get lost in sheer volume.
    So they were supposed to use practical effects in this? I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader as to why that's impossible. Video games have nothing on film effects, yet, but there's definitely a lot of overlap in the tools and technologies used. The effects in this look pretty good to me.
    ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    edited June 2020