Apple rumored to bring Magic Keyboard to more iPads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
A prolific leaker claims that the Magic Keyboard currently sold only for the iPad Pro will be brought to other iPad models.

iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard
iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard

Following his or her previous leaks about future iPad refreshes, Twitter user l0vetodream says that the Magic Keyboard is destined for more than solely the 11-inch iPad Pro and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models.

in my dream Magic keyboard not only for the iPad Pro

As ever, the leaker says very little, but l0vetodream has an increasingly strong reputation for correctly revealing future Apple products. The account's previous correct leaks include ones about iPads, including the addition of a LiDAR sensor that then appeared on the iPad Pro.

While this latest leak makes no specific reference to which iPad models could gain a Magic Keyboard option, the same leaker recently claimed there is a forthcoming iPad refresh that will utilize Apple's A12 processor.

Separately, sources within the supply chain have claimed that the iPad Air is shortly to get a fourth generation refresh, which will see it adopt certain elements of the iPad Pro. That includes moving from Lightning to USB-C for charging, and may mean more internal similarities which could be what enables a Magic Keyboard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,130member
    Personally, I’d love to see this available for the iPad Mini. I’d need to upgrade from the 4 to the 5 for sure, but even so . . .
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Will they reduce the price of the Magic Keyboard? It would make up a high percentage of the price of an iPad Air at its current price which would make it a tough sell?
    jdb8167
  • Reply 3 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    How about a full size keyboard for those folks who actually use their iPhones as their main computer? Crazy, right? No. People can and do.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 6
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,496member
    How about a full size keyboard for those folks who actually use their iPhones as their main computer? Crazy, right? No. People can and do.
    I already have one -- it's called the Logitech K480 and it cost me $50. Works great, and allows up to three devices to be paired with it, so it works for the iPhone, my iPad, and in a pinch can be used as a BT keyboard for any other machine I have.

I don't really see this "dream" coming true, except in that Apple might offer a version for the 10.5" iPad Pro (which has a Smart Connector). While it is certainly conceivable that the Smart Connector could be added to newer models, the USB-C port you acquire when you get the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard is for all practical purposes only good for charging, and may not even be included in any models aimed at non-USB-C iPads.

I can't see consumers who buy the cheaper iPads shelling out $300 more for the Magic Keyboard when that can represent 50-75 percent of what they paid for the iPad in the first place. The present iPad Pro Magic Keyboard is for people who have the money and want the impressive style -- but that does not sway the mass market when so many options that will do the job and cost hundreds of dollars less exist.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    chasm said:
    I already have one -- it's called the Logitech K480 and it cost me $50. Works great, and allows up to three devices to be paired with it, so it works for the iPhone, my iPad, and in a pinch can be used as a BT keyboard for any other machine I have.

I don't really see this "dream" coming true, except in that Apple might offer a version for the 10.5" iPad Pro (which has a Smart Connector). While it is certainly conceivable that the Smart Connector could be added to newer models, the USB-C port you acquire when you get the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard is for all practical purposes only good for charging, and may not even be included in any models aimed at non-USB-C iPads.

I can't see consumers who buy the cheaper iPads shelling out $300 more for the Magic Keyboard when that can represent 50-75 percent of what they paid for the iPad in the first place. The present iPad Pro Magic Keyboard is for people who have the money and want the impressive style -- but that does not sway the mass market when so many options that will do the job and cost hundreds of dollars less exist.

Yeh, I get you.   And I am not arguing in any way against bluetooth keyboards.
    But I would like to see the smart connector enhanced and expanded out to all iPads.
    The Thinkpad I'm typing on has the equivalent to a smart connector underneath and it is used to replace all ports on the machine the when it is on a dock.   It is mostly for convenience where one can simply pop the laptop off of the dock and stick it in a bag without worrying about plugging and unplugging cables.   But, in an iPad with limited ports for connectivity it could be used to greatly expand it into a serious system:   Power, external displays, external storage -- and, of course, external keyboards and trackpads.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,988member
    chasm said:

50-75%? Try 100%