Apple reopening 32 UK Apple Stores on June 15

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
All Apple Stores in England, and one in Northern Ireland, will reopen on Monday, June 15, albeit with new coronavirus related hygiene and social distancing.

Apple Birmingham, one of the 32 Apple Stores to reopen in the UK on June 15
Apple Birmingham, one of the 32 Apple Stores to reopen in the UK on June 15

Apple has announced that it is continuing to open Apple Stores internationally. On Friday, Apple said that it will open the 32 Apple Stores in England, plus one in Northern Ireland, on Monday, June 15.

The UK openings follow the lessening of coronavirus lockdown conditions in these two countries of the UK. There are five further stores in the region, but they are within Scotland and Wales, where no decision has been made about reopening businesses.

According to UK newspaper, The Independent, Apple informed them of the reopening via a statement which is almost word for word the same as those made in other European countries.

"We're excited to begin welcoming visitors back to our stores in England and Northern Ireland on Monday," says the statement. "We've missed our customers and look forward to offering our support."

"With many working and learning from home we look forward to providing the service and support they need, whether that be picking up a new product or getting help with one they already own," it continues. "Our newly reopened stores have significant safety procedures including temperature checks, social distancing and face coverings to ensure customers and employees continue to stay healthy."

Apple says that, as with all other reopened stores, there will be a "social distance protocol" which limits the number of visitors in the store at once. A member of staff will also take each customer's temperature as they enter as part of the coronavirus precautions.

"Our thoughts are with everyone affected by COVID-19 and those working around the clock to treat, study and contain its spread," it concludes.

UK Apple Stores not reopening

• Aberdeen

• Cardiff St David's

• Edinburgh, Princes Street

• Glasgow, Braehead

• Glasgow, Buchanan Street

UK Apple Stores reopening

• Basingstoke

• Bath

• Belfast

• Birmingham

• Brighton

• Bristol Cabot Circus

• Bristol Cribbs Causeway

• Bromley

• Cambridge

• Exeter

• Gateshead

• Greenhithe

• Kingston upon Thames

• Leeds

• Leicester

• Liverpool

• London Brent Cross

• London Covent Garden

• London Regent Street

• London Stratford City

• London White City

• Manchester, Manchester Arcade

• Manchester, Trafford Centre

• Milton Keynes

• Newcastle upon Tyne

• Norwich

• Plymouth

• Reading

• Sheffield

• Solihull

• Southampton

• Watford

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Birmingham?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Heh, good enough to picture, but not good enough to list.
    equality72521
  • Reply 3 of 7
    WilliamGallagherWilliamGallagher Posts: 13member, moderator, editor
    Birmingham?
    Thank you: that store fell off my spreadsheet for some reason – which is extra peculiar because I'm in the UK and it's my local one. It's fixed now and I appreciate it.
    equality72521
  • Reply 4 of 7
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    It feels pretty irresponsible to open the central London locations when the vast majority of visitors and staff will have to travel by public transport to reach them.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Birmingham?
    Thank you: that store fell off my spreadsheet for some reason – which is extra peculiar because I'm in the UK and it's my local one. It's fixed now and I appreciate it.
    A pleasure. I was born and raised there. I also remember that Apple store being a beautiful Waterstones book store. A fantastic building. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    but they are within Scotland and Wales, where no decision has been made about reopening businesses.”

That’s not entirely correct. In Scotland, our government is following a carefully laid out route map and has consistently stuck to it. Updates about moving from one phase to the next are made publicly and with the evidence behind the changes explained clearly. 

The decision from the Scottish government is clear: now is not the right time to open businesses to the public except for very limited types of sector. So it is not the case that “no decision” has been made. 

In England, the government have made sporadic announcements in between their supposed phases. Announcements are often made late at night at weekends, without consultation with relevant public bodies, and contradict scientific advice. Daily briefings from government ministers have consisted of false information, and have been cancelled at weekends. 

The latest publicly available R number data shows Scotland and Wales to have the lowest infection rates across the UK. Having a robust plan and sticking to it works, and I’m grateful that Scotland is not rushing ahead to open stores. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mr lizard said:
    “but they are within Scotland and Wales, where no decision has been made about reopening businesses.”

That’s not entirely correct. In Scotland, our government is following a carefully laid out route map and has consistently stuck to it. Updates about moving from one phase to the next are made publicly and with the evidence behind the changes explained clearly. 

The decision from the Scottish government is clear: now is not the right time to open businesses to the public except for very limited types of sector. So it is not the case that “no decision” has been made. 

In England, the government have made sporadic announcements in between their supposed phases. Announcements are often made late at night at weekends, without consultation with relevant public bodies, and contradict scientific advice. Daily briefings from government ministers have consisted of false information, and have been cancelled at weekends. 

The latest publicly available R number data shows Scotland and Wales to have the lowest infection rates across the UK. Having a robust plan and sticking to it works, and I’m grateful that Scotland is not rushing ahead to open stores. 
    Exactly this.

Watching Johnson and Sturgeon handle a press conference is like night and day.

Scotland's improving situation are down to a firm grasp of the science, a policy of putting people first and knowing that the economy will follow, and of course, trust.

Our lot have basically just given up. There's too much pressure from the billionaires running them.