iOS 13 now installed on 81% of all compatible iPhones

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Friday released new iOS adoption statistics that indicate iOS 13 is installed on 81% of all compatible iPhones.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The new iOS figures, revealed in an update to Apple's App Store developer support webpage ahead of 2020's virtual Worldwide Developers Conference, also show that iOS 13 is installed on 91% of iPhones released within the last four years.

Based on the numbers, only 7% of devices within the last four years and 13% of all compatible devices are running the previous iOS 12 update.

Apple also said that 93% of iPads released in the last four years are running iPadOS. The percentage for all iPads ever released is a bit lower than iPhones, with a 73% adoption rate.

Apple's numbers were gleaned from App Store visits logged on June 17, 2020.

Like iOS 12, iOS 13 has seen a fairly rapid adoption rate. By October 2019, iOS 13 was running on 50% of all compatible devices and 55% of devices released in the four years prior.

Apple's iOS 13 update was released alongside the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro updates in September 2019. It introduced new features like Dark Mode and Sign In with Apple, as well as a revamped iPad-specific variant.

Apple is widely expected to debut its iOS 14 operating system update on Monday, June 22 during the WWDC 2020 keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Lol!  I just realized I never updated my iPad.  I just use it for watching shows and reading books and such.  So I start the update today and early next week I will be behind again!  I can’t win...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    Not on my iPhone 7 Plus.    Sticking with iOS 12 until I get the... iPh 12.  
  • Reply 3 of 3
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    eriamjh said:
    Not on my iPhone 7 Plus.    Sticking with iOS 12 until I get the... iPh 12.  
    Which is fine. iOS 12 is still supported with security and other necessary updates for at least one and probably two more years yet, so you're fine if you don't think you'll get enough benefit out of iOS 13 or 14 upgrade, at least for now. As you're undoubtedly aware, according to a source-code leak the iPhone 7 Plus (all the way down to the iPhone 6s, which is amazing) look to be able to run iOS 14 when it comes out.

A new iPhone is certainly a good enough occasion to also begin playing with the new iOS version. I haven't decided whether to upgrade my Xr yet, as it's doing the job I need it to do -- but those upgrade in cameras may tempt me.

It's those people who never update or who are running unsupported equipment that worry me. They are easy prey for attacks and scameware.
    watto_cobra